Author Topic: Update on myself  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Downs

• Forum Member
Update on myself
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
I know some folks on here probably won't care but I figured that I'd give a quick update on my status since I kind of dropped off the face of the planet when it came to the regular rallies I used to attend in Arkansas, Texas, and Missiouri.

I recieved orders to California late in 2012 and executed my move to MCAS Miramar on March 18th of 2013. 

The same weekend I got here I went to a BMW event on the F800ST

Then proceded to camp for basically free every weekend for about 2 months haha.  This place has tons of free camping.

Sometime in May I decided that I wanted a VStrom so went and picked one up and put the Storm up for sale. 

Then went about riding dirt roads and checking out the backcounty "yellow post" campsites

August of 2013 my dad rode out from Texas and we went on a long loop of the western states and wound up in Sturgis for the big rally

Later that year I met an awesome lady named Alecia and picked up a small Ultralight.  I also got her into riding at the same time.  She purchased a DRZ400

I would unfortunatly also loose this same awesome lady on our first overnight camping trip to just outside of Julian.  She low sided into the path of an on coming Yukon that would run her over and snatch her from this world and my life.  She will forever be missed.

After that incident I sold my ultralight because she was a large part of what helped me get it.  Went to her funeral and met her family for the first time which was very hard.  The rest of the winter was spent riding to out of the way places where I could  be alone and spending Thanksgiving with  my family back in Texas.

Fast forward to the end of Feburary and I made a long distance trip back to Texas to Big Bend on the Strom to link up with some really good friends of mine from back home. 

Fast forward again to March and my ridding buddies and myself are prepping for the Death Valley Noobs rally

And then actually attending the Noob Rally at the end of March :)

Early in April I traveled to Seattle to visit a very dear friend of mine that I met in Pensacola back in 2009.  When I was in Pensacola in 2009 I was in a rough time in my life and she was there to really help me though it.  And I think I helped her out a lot too :)

So here I sit today typing this in my little barracks room on MCAS Miramar haha. 

Hope it was a good journey over the last year+

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Update on myself
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:50 AM »
Wow!  Great pics and story...you've lived a lifetime in just a short time.  So sorry for your loss. Thank you for your service ( have a son in the USAF....Tyndall ).  If you don't mind talking about it....how was it to fly the ultralight?  Those things have always fascinated me, would love to try one someday.  Don't be a stranger....

Pat
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Pat said it well.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:03:30 AM »
Thanks for being man enough to share you loss, thoughts and feeling with us. So sorry for your loss but you also have so much else in your life and to live for. Also thanks for your service, it is priceless.
You seem to be some kinda rider. Glad you have the ability to get out there and do it.
Hope we can cross paths some day. Ride safe and ride with viger,  Tom M

Offline Downs

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:03:53 AM »
The Ultralight was amazing.  Thing was like flying a kite with an engine attached to it.  Closest thing to flying a motorcycle I think you can get.  One day I'll have another one but that one just had too many memories attached to it.