Author Topic: New guy in Illiniois  (Read 8286 times)

JoeDuc

New guy in Illiniois
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
Hey all... a quick introduction. I'm not much of a 'joiner' but this group seems like my kind of people. Been sport-touring since before the phrase was around, some 43 years, through much of the U.S. and a bit of Europe back in the day. I do sport-bike, sport-touring and dual-sport, and spend my garage time refurbishing neglected Honda Interceptors. My small stable currently includes a Honda ST1300 and Yamaha TDM850, among others. I moved last year from the 'driftless' area of SW Wisconsin to northern Illinois. We hope to hook up on some MSTA events to see what it's all about.

Here's my bike web page which some may find interesting:

JOE in IL

(may as well try an attachment while I'm here....)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: New guy in Illiniois
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
Welcome Joe.  That's a very nice looking bike you have pictured there.  As far as MSTA events....you'll probably find TwiStar in Wisconsin, and the River City Ride in Indiana as the ones closest to you.  Mail Pouch FlyBy in Marietta, Ohio is the most popular regional event. Of course, STAR is the biggest event we do...this year in Rapid City, SD.  Hope to see you at one of the events this year!

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:52:54 PM »
Hi Joe and welcome aboard. Nice bike. I had two ST1300 and put about 250k on the pair.
Like Pat said, try to make an event or visit a State gathering. You will like the people. Hope to meet you this year. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeDuc

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Definitely planning on the TwiStar, most likely on the TDM. The ST: I found it in AZ winter 2012/13 and trailered back home. It's an '03 with 53K miles and lots of useful farkles, including full RaceTech suspension front & rear. I left the PO's yellow flair on the side 'cause I kinda like it. It's meant to evoke the factory racing color scheme from the 60's.
The TDM:

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
Excellent another member from the land of 11 curves in 318 miles! Welcome. Both of your bike are great machines.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

mxvet57

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
Welcome flat lander

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Definitely planning on the TwiStar, most likely on the TDM. The ST: I found it in AZ winter 2012/13 and trailered back home. It's an '03 with 53K miles and lots of useful farkles, including full RaceTech suspension front & rear. I left the PO's yellow flair on the side 'cause I kinda like it. It's meant to evoke the factory racing color scheme from the 60's.
The TDM:

A local friend of mine has (or maybe had) a TDM 850, and one day he let me ride it. I was impressed! I don't know if he sold it or not, but when he posted it for sale, I was tempted. I thought it was an excellent piece of machinery.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.