Author Topic: Couple of questions about Bluetooth communicator use  (Read 4251 times)

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Couple of questions about Bluetooth communicator use
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
Questions for my Bluetooth communicator friends:

Let's say that 6 friends regularly ride together and all have Bluetooth headsets they use for group intercom conversation. Then a new model communicator comes out that is easier to set up for large groups using an advanced mode. 4 members of the group buy the new units, which of course can connect to each other, but can also connect to the two older units.

1. Do you expect that all 6 friends would still be able freely talk to each other as a single group? Y/N

2. If the two friends with the older units could only talk to one of the friends with the new units, not hearing the conversation among the other new unit users, would you consider that to be a problem? Y/N

Norm Kern
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:02:42 AM by normkern »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Couple of questions about Bluetooth communicator use
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
Yes and Yes! It seems like planned obsolescence by the manufacturer to force people to fork out more duckies for the new unit.
Touringman

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »
1. That depends on what you mean by "expect". If you mean, do I think it *should*, then yes. If you mean based on experience and reviews, then no.

2. Yes. Well, that depends, too. I mean, there are some people I might not mind not hearing :-)
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
Yes and yes.....I still compare helmet to helmet Bluetooth communication to use of a cell phone.  One person has an iPhone and can still call others using a different brand phone.  With things like Siri, one can even just use voice commands to not only control their phone, but also lights, the TV, the alarm system, etc. in your home.  If your car is connected, then in some cases you can remotely start your car or control the locks and controls in it!  I can connect my phone to my car and take calls over the car’s sound system with the push of a button.

Motorcycle helmet communication systems are in their infancy.
not all that wander are lost

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »
Learned something yesterday from Jim Park and found out what I was doing "wrong." I paired my 30K with a 20S user who in turn paired with the other 20S user. We connected and we were fine. Then Jeff Dolence arrived with his 30K, so he and I connected in public mesh mode and created a private mesh and entered it. I could talk to and hear everyone, Jeff could only talk to and hear me. Likewise, the 20S users could not hear Jeff. Before reading further, do you recognize what I did wrong?

Here's the answer: IF I had paired with the 20S, disconnected from it, and THEN connected with Jeff in Private mode BEFORE reconnecting to the 20S, everyone would have been able to talk to everyone else.

OK, how many of you would have figured this out on your own? That little bit of information is not in the 30K manual, and no one in tech support would know it either. Can the average person figure out stuff like this? Can the average person remember all these little hoops that one has to jump through to get things to work?

Norm Kern

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Can the average person figure out stuff like this? Can the average person remember all these little hoops that one has to jump through to get things to work?
More proof that Jim is above average.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline R1200GS

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

Maybe one should actually examine what they want the device to do.  When I first bought an Autocom and also cobbled up some microphones and headsets I "thought" I wanted bike to bike.  After a while I figured out that what I really wanted was to hear my GPS directions. listen to music and maybe connect to my cell phone (the jury is still out on that one, did you ever have your phone go off in a middle of some twisties??).  I've also come to the conclusion I don't need or want to talk while riding with a large gaggle of riders.  If you look at a whole bunch of forums including this one, there have been threads about how many riders do you want to ride with.  I submit that the number that MOST riders want to ride with ranges from solo to four or five.  My 20s covers my requirements quite well.  I still may get a 30K because one group I am riding with is going to them. They ride on Sundays and you never know who is going to show up which makes pairing time an issue.  But actually if I have my tunes on, I'm not sure if I want to listen to them.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Couple of questions about Bluetooth communicator use
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
AAJ (aka above average Jim) is buying Jim’s Bluetooth hose!
-JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HawkGTRider

• Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »
Cordless hose...I LOVE that!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »
That cordless hose must be only available in the Eastern US.  I checked several Home Depots in Minnesota and they don't have the high tech stuff yet. 
 :'(

Bring one along to STAR and we will use it as a demo for the Bike Wash.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor