Author Topic: Distracted Driving & Motorcyclists Survival  (Read 7861 times)

Offline AugFern

• MSTA Member
  • Motorcycling!
    • Under The Radar Michigan
  • Lifetime Mileage: 356,000 +/-
  • Primary Motorcycle: '15 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT
Distracted Driving & Motorcyclists Survival
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »
OBSERVATIONS - During yesterday's ride  in the Mason, MI area I watched carefully as a young lady driving a VW Passat encroached into my lane. Why? Because she had her face & vision buried & focused on her smartphone texting. I safely got around her & watched in my mirrors as she continued to drift from left to right, right to left at times crossing the double centerline. She was totally unaware of the roadway hazard she had become. I doubted that she was even aware of the presence of a motorcyclist. These observations are not exaggerated this is what happened, this is what causes collisions on our highways. When a distracted driver collides with a motorcyclist it's not dented fenders or repairable scrapes, it's torn flesh, broken bones & debilitating injuries. This is what kills us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: Distracted Driving & Motorcyclists Survival
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
It's getting worse every day.  TM

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:14:14 PM »
Do you suppose laws like the one just passed in Ohio that imposes fines and/or loss of license will have any affect?

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Do you suppose laws like the one just passed in Ohio that imposes fines and/or loss of license will have any affect?

Quint, I highly doubt it. In my opinion, the fines and penalties are just inadequate. Hey, you want to text and drive when it's illegal - get caught $1000 fine, lose your car and license for a year, and then maybe triple insurance. Pull over to text - when behind the wheel drive the damn car. Just my $0.02 worth - YMMV.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:08:14 PM »
Have you seen the dash boards on any of the new cars lately?? (rhetorical question really, of course you have, you can't hear my tone of voice). They are more computer than car these days. Yep, I might be turning into a cuntankorous old bastard but for gosh sakes, how are you to mess with a touch screen with too many things on it while driving? Some have the heat/ac controls in the menu.

Ok, I'll go back under my rock.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
Exactly Tom. And with all the other new features (park assist, brake assist, etc.) it's not like you even have to pay attention. But hey that's progress - or so I'm told. As for me, I don't need my car to park itself, or tell me someone is next to me so don't change lanes, or they are stopped and I should too. I guess maybe I'm just another old fart as well. :)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
Exactly Tom. And with all the other new features (park assist, brake assist, etc.) it's not like you even have to pay attention. But hey that's progress - or so I'm told. As for me, I don't need my car to park itself, or tell me someone is next to me so don't change lanes, or they are stopped and I should too. I guess maybe I'm just another old fart as well. :)

I think we all have a little "Luddite" in us. I know I do.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »
A timely reminder, Augie.  I switched to Hi-Viz for this reason.  I don't know if it will help a motorist so oblivious as this to note my presence.  I also find my gps can be a distraction for me while on the motorcycle.  I try hard to just glance.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
I followed Ken Gill on a slightly rainy day from Sparta NC to Damascus VA during TriSTAR. Ken confirmed that when he checked his mirrors, it wasn't my headlight that he saw...it was my hi-viz yellow/green helmet. If I wasn't convinced before, I am now.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »
The next thing I will do is install auxiliary lights in a pattern that is different from that of most cars.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
I followed Ken Gill on a slightly rainy day from Sparta NC to Damascus VA during TriSTAR. Ken confirmed that when he checked his mirrors, it wasn't my headlight that he saw...it was my hi-viz yellow/green helmet. If I wasn't convinced before, I am now.

Wow, that is a strong endorsement for Hi-Viz Geoffrey. As for me, so far Hi-Viz jacket, red bike and red helmet. I guess next helmet will be yellow or Hi-Viz.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »
Hi-viz helps, but it is not a panacea. I have watched cages pull right out in front of hi-viz fire trucks running full lights and sirens and blowing air horns. More people act like they see me when I'm wearing hi-viz and running driving lights, but some still act like I'm invisible. Do not assume that making yourself visible do more than slightly improve your odds.

Note well that I still advocate these things, I just think it's important to still ride like you're wearing the One Ring.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
Have you seen the dash boards on any of the new cars lately?? (rhetorical question really, of course you have, you can't hear my tone of voice). They are more computer than car these days. Yep, I might be turning into a cuntankorous old bastard but for gosh sakes, how are you to mess with a touch screen with too many things on it while driving? Some have the heat/ac controls in the menu.

Ok, I'll go back under my rock.
Hate to tell you Tom, but even young guys in the club like me (51) are in the old group. I watch one of the car shows (Motorweek) and have noticed many of the new cars with the most basic (radio and HVAC) controls built into a menu. Others still go with knobs and large controls.

What bothers me more though is all the "assist the lazy driver" aids. ABS is great, traction control too. Now we have self parking, accident avoidance (you almost changed lanes into somebody), self braking etc. More things to allow the drivers  (they're not all just young folks) to pay less attention to what you do. Had a guy tailgating me in traffic yesterday driving a big work pickup talking on the phone. I slowed a couple times and then tapped my brakes trying to get him to back off. (Sorry but 2 car lengths at 50MPH is too close.) He starts glaring and me and making "what the fu**" type motions with his hands.

Hi-Viz - I've had a green/yellow Frogg Togg rain jacket for years and many have told me how it stands out. And during Tri-STAR I was told my new hi-viz jacket shows very well. Yes I know it may not help with the cage driver. I was explaining to a friend of a friend that recently started riding how invisible we are on the street because of how narrow we are. Even a small car like those Smart Cars are going to register less on the potential threat meter for a driver, who may decide to turn in front of them.

PS  I try not to play with my GPS too much, mostly looking for services as we approach a town. And I've warned other riders that plan to add one to be careful they don't become engrossed. Having it somewhere more directly in your normal field of vision helps.

Hi-viz helps, but it is not a panacea. I have watched cages pull right out in front of hi-viz fire trucks running full lights and sirens and blowing air horns. More people act like they see me when I'm wearing hi-viz and running driving lights, but some still act like I'm invisible. Do not assume that making yourself visible do more than slightly improve your odds.
Note well that I still advocate these things, I just think it's important to still ride like you're wearing the One Ring.
My Precious.....
My brother Richard here gave me that piece of sage advice when I started riding, act like you are invisible, and I share that with others who are new to the sport.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
Doug, I have Motolights on all 3 bikes. Many have commented about seeing the odd (3) light pattern and bright lights have caught their eye. There are also many other types out there.  TM