Author Topic: Zumo 450 touchscreen woes  (Read 9912 times)

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
Zumo 450 touchscreen woes
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »
For quite awhile now, the touchscreen on my Zumo 450 has been acting up, such as not recognizing a touch, recording a touch at a different location on the screen, and appearing stuck after a touch. Recalibrating helped only some times. Garmin no longer supports the 450 so sending it to them was out of the question. I believe they still support the 550, however.

So looking for alternatives online, I found several sources for replacement touchscreens and also instructions on how to replace the screen. I bought a replacement screen for less than $20 and finally replaced it yesterday. It was a pretty straightforward process and it works great now. So if your Zumo 450/550 screen is acting up, there's hope yet! You can do it yourself for $20, or send the unit to a 3rd party repair shop for about $40.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
Re: Zumo 450 touchscreen woes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
Choon

A link to where you got the replacement screen and instructions would be helpful.

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Here's the resource I used as a reference to replace the screen - http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/771186-zumo-lcd-screen-fix.html.

There are several other sources and even YouTube videos. Just search on the keywords "Zumo screen replacement". The search will also show numerous sources, mostly from eBay, for buying the screen, and places that repair the unit such as http://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-zumo-450-and-550-repair-service-p-141.html.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »
Back when Garmin had good product support and customer service, I contacted them with the exact same problem.  They sent me a like new refurb 550 and a shipping sticker to return the 450.   My, have things changed.

Yes, it was out of warranty.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
I hate that Garmin has gotten like this. But you don't sell new products if you keep supporting the old stuff.

I have 3 2730s that I've had for years and will continue to use until they totally die, and I purchased all of them used. At least one of them was replaced with a refurbished unit when mine had problems. That probably makes me a poster child for Garmin's lack of support now.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »
I hate that Garmin has gotten like this. But you don't sell new products if you keep supporting the old stuff.

I have 3 2730s that I've had for years and will continue to use until they totally die, and I purchased all of them used. At least one of them was replaced with a refurbished unit when mine had problems. That probably makes me a poster child for Garmin's lack of support now.
Based on OldButNotDead's post it isn't just that they don't support old products (understandable) but their actual customer service quality had declined greatly, particularly how they deal with customer problems. His screen that failed was handled by an upgrade to a newer/better model (550 when he had a bad 450). Now they won't even touch older models. Like many company they got bigger and the bottom line and sales volume became more important than providing excellent customer service. The whole change from MapSource to Basecamp being one thing I've heard many here complain about. I also thought their "lifetime map" deal is a bit strange, it is not for your or the unit's lifetime, but for as long as they choose to create maps for that unit. So they can quit supplying you maps at their discretion.

Some years back I had a problem with an Eclipse Tank Bag, called for service and had a great experience that I told all my friends about. I doubt Garmin get's that much positive word of mouth these days.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Steve,
A few months ago I bought a Nuvi 2797lmt and had some questions.  I'll swear they gave me the marketing line, not the tech line.  I don't think I'm sexist, I did marry a woman 33 years ago LOL, but if you get a female on the Garmin tech line, hang up and keep calling until you get a guy.  You might even have to go through a couple guys.  Now, the first line staff only read a Garmin version of Google for their gps products.  I had one girl tell me that routes were created something like bread crumbs in Hansel and Gretel. Actually she wasn't too far off, but as the conversation got more detailed, she was lost in space.  I think their corporate strategy is  use them and when they break just throw them away and get a new one.

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
I kind of resent that remark as I know about as many non-techie males as I do females. 

Just don't ask for my help at STAR with your GPS if you have that attitude!
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
I kind of resent that remark as I know about as many non-techie males as I do females. 

I've been working on GPS since it was a 5 bird constellation.  Ran mapping grade base stations, etc, etc.  Don't think I need to ask for your help on GPS.  Been using Garmin tech support since there was Garmin tech support.  Up until five to ten years ago, you could get very good answers from their staff.  Most were male and the few females they had knew what they were doing too. Right now both male and female are just screen readers.  They know very little about any technical details.  The few that actually knew something were male and if you were lucky enough to get into the second tier where you can sometimes get an answer, I have yet to have one female respond.  Sorry you took offense, but those are my observations and I stand by them.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
Ah, the good old post processing days and 4:00AM observation!

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
Actually she wasn't too far off, but as the conversation got more detailed, she was lost in space.  I think their corporate strategy is  use them and when they break just throw them away and get a new one.

I'm guessing you meant GPS units, and not female tech support reps?

Sorry you took offense, but those are my observations and I stand by them.

It seems it will be awhile before I understand the personalities on this forum, (who knows who, sense of humor, etc)...but I thought she was joking in a stick poking fun loving kind of way.

However, regardless, fz1grl you can help me, I'm sure I'll need some GPS assistance, assuming I can even find Springdale AR Kansas, ♪after all I'm just a man ♬.

(Anybody else think this forum would benefit from a slightly larger emoticon selection?)

Ah, the good old post processing days and 4:00AM observation!

OK, being just a man (out of date semi techie), that one went flying right over my head. HUH?
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
Don't worry Marty that happens a lot. I know Jim Park (ridemyST) a little and that went flying over myh head (and I'm a techie to some degree, write computer software but not a leading edge tech person).

As for the whole tech support thing, sadly what oldbutnotdead reports about Garmin is true with far too many companies. Having somebody answer and follow some structured response system is becoming too common. Find that person that actually knows something and can help you solve the problem is very frustrating. We don't do that with our software, but we have lost some long time experienced people recently and having more new people without the knowledge is difficult. It takes time to train the people in our software, and the business style (distribution) that it fits.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
Sorry Guys - That was meant for Oldbutnot dead. I'm not going to highjack this thread with the details. -JEP-

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
Just a quick explanation of post processing and the 4am business.  We are lucky now that it is possible to have ten satellites in view, more or less and units can pick the best ones.  You can also have something like WAAS which reads the same satellites that you do but sits on top of a surveyed position allowing the unit to correct for inaccuracies.  Even today survey grade and some mapping grade units will use a very accurate surveyed in unit to post process or near real time post process data.  Why? Because a unit has to measure the distance between the satellite and the unit very accurately but it has errors.  Also there is thing called dilution of precision which is caused by mathematical issues with all the angles required to make a solution.  Sick this yet?  Why 4am?  Because you know where the birds are at any time of day.  The constellations get into better and bad geometry.  So if you need very accurate data you may have to measure it at 4am.