Author Topic: 2016 Tellico Plains TN Fall Event JFF  (Read 35710 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: 2016 Tellico Plains TN Fall Event JFF
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

For TN-STAR I remember writing up route sheets that included riding from Townsend to the Foothills Parkway on US321, and over to US129. From there you went north to TN72 and then south on US411 to get Vonore. TN360 was the best way to Tellico Plains (it still is the best way from Vonore to Tellico Plains). From there you could ride up to the Tennessee/North Carolina state line on TN165/Cherohala Skyway, but you were taking a chance riding any further. North Carolina hadn't finished their side of the Cherohala Skyway, and it was only a rough base coat of pavement that went a few miles past the state line...and you weren't really supposed to be on that part of the road. You COULD get all the way to Robbinsville, but it meant riding 10-11 miles on a gravel road (Big Santeelah Road) that sort of paralleled what was to become the rest of the Skyway. Most of it was decent, but there were 2-3 miles near the Skyway that were a little on the "bouncy" side.

John and Patty Swatzell used to help a bunch in cooking the pancakes and such. But then they sold their ST1100 and bought an American made cruiser. It suited them better, and it was a perfectly fine bike. But they didn't feel like they fit in with the MSTA any more. Too bad...they were good folks and would have been welcome just as anyone would on any kind of bike.
That is sad, and I never understood that. You can sport tour on anything, and if you enjoy the events, the MSTA folks, the local group, or just riding in general I think you fit in the club. While their numbers are small we do have members on cruisers, and every other type of bike from very large touring rigs (like Gold Wings), dual sport bikes, standards, naked bikes, supersports, and yes true ST bikes (ST11/13, FJR, etc).
One hilarious thing I recall fromt STAR16, the Honda demo folks were going around the parking lot taking inventory of the bikes, and assigning them to different categories. Wish I had some time to talk to them more about it, because I was baffled that VFRs were lumped into "other" while the dual sports had a category, and I forget what others they were doing (I think "touring" was one).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
BTW, an event at Townsend would be cool, nice roads and its a neat little town. I heard a lot about the old TN-STAR and other event done there, and did stay at Dock's one time about 10 years ago. One thing I remember was these people telling me about starting their day, riding the the gently rolling corners/hills of the Foothills Parkway, before conquering the Dragon and the Cherohala. Oh and no trip to the area is complete without a stop at Bald River Falls (near Tellico end of Cherohala). Its an interesting site in winter when the spray is freezing on the trees.

Interesting info on the continuation of Foothills Pkwy, I can see on Google maps an area of green (usually forest land) running between Walland and Wears Valley and if I click in there it shows my location as "Foothills Parkway Townsend TN 37882 and the long/lat coordinates.

Last couple times at the Gap we came out through (or stayed in Townsend) the followed 321 to Pigeon Forge area and forget from there, but the idea was to work north quickly in order to make it home in 2 days of back roads. I wondered what the road heading east out of Townsend (thought it was labeled TN72 see it as E Lemar Alexandar Pkwy, then Little Rirver Road, finally Fighting Creek Gap Rd, ends at US441 south of Gatlinburg.)

Yes now my mouth is watering too, the roads of SE Ohio will have to suffice this weekend.

Sorry to hijack the thread ;)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

rideandfly

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Steve, No problem at all!  ;)

This discussion shows what a fine area eastern TN is for all types riding. Going to ride there late September or early October before the JFF gathering at Tellico Plains!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:34:17 PM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:47 AM »
Right now there are 2 cabins left, 2 RV sites, and plenty of campsites.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:34:57 PM by rideandfly »

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »
Hello Bill, It was great to see you, and meet Deb at BLL, and thanks for the photos. Do you have a toy hauler, or have you figured another way to transport trailer and bike? Take care, Syd :)
Touringman

rideandfly

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
Hello Bill, It was great to see you, and meet Deb at BLL, and thanks for the photos. Do you have a toy hauler, or have you figured another way to transport trailer and bike? Take care, Syd :)

Syd, Great to see you at BLL, too!!!!!!

We purchased a travel trailer this year and don't have a Toy Hauler.  Working on better way to camp and transport a motorcycle with one rig. We want to camp & take a motorcycle to many locations in the lower 48, including MSTA events. May buy a pickup with with 6.5' bed, load the motorcycle in the back and tow the travel trailer, too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:30:31 PM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »
Checked today, we have one cabin, two RV sites, and plenty of tent campsites left for the gathering.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:57:44 AM by rideandfly »

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »
As much as I'd like to be there the whole weekend, my available time that weekend is starting to disappear. I have a work call to set a corporate event on Friday during the day, a performance by the Knoxville Opera Friday night, striking the corporate event on Saturday afternoon, and another Opera performance Sunday afternoon followed by its strike. It's looking like the best I could do is ride down for a while on Saturday evening and maybe have dinner with the attendees. I'd like to see who's there, and I hate to miss a chance to socialize a bit.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

rideandfly

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
Geoffrey,

Hope we get to meet you. We are looking forward to riding in eastern TN during October. Should be nice fall colors, too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:30:13 AM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 08:54:53 PM »
We camped at Tellico Plains TN last night and the weather was beautiful. Saw many motorcycles on the road, too!

All seven cabins are reserved for the gathering, but we still have two RV campsites and plenty of tent campsites available, at this time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:45:39 AM by rideandfly »

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
All seven cabins are reserved for the gathering, but we still have two RV campsites and plenty of tent campsites available, at this time.
Last year I reserved a cabin at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground for the JFF event and have been looking forward to attending. Unfortunately something has come up that prevents me from participating this year. I just spoke with Wayne (423-253-6061) to cancel my cabin reservation and he requested that I post this note here on the forum in case someone else would like to take the newly available cabin.

Don Moe

2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

rideandfly

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »
Don,

Sorry you can't make it!  Hope you and your family are OK.

Thanks for letting us know.

rideandfly

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
We currently have one cabin available, two RV campsites , and plenty tent campsites available.

rideandfly

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 11:13:04 AM »
 10/8/16,  we have one cabin available, two RV campsites and plenty tent campsites available. Looking forward to seeing everyone in two weeks!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:14:39 AM by rideandfly »

rideandfly

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
10/15  Talked to Kellie at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground and she said there is one cabin, one RV site, and tent campsites available at this time for next weekend.

CMTC website:

https://www.cmtrails.com/

Kellie said the leaves should have nice fall colors next weekend, too. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Tellico Plains TN weather forecast:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tellico-plains-tn/37385/daily-weather-forecast/2125066?day=1
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:19:39 PM by rideandfly »