Author Topic: Lake east of Deal's Gap  (Read 4805 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Lake east of Deal's Gap
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
I was working in Maryville TN last week, and I found myself with about 4 hours to fill in mid-afternoon. Rather than spend 1/2 that time just getting home and back, I decided it would be better to run down to Deal's Gap. I hadn't been there in several months, so the timing was right. And given my druthers, I'd rather ride through there when there is minimal foliage anyway.
As expected, it was pretty nice. But what really surprised me was that Chilhowee Lake, east of the gnarly stuff, didn't appear to be being dammed at all...it was just a river. Take a look at the attached pictures and you'll see parts of the old road bed and even a concrete bridge that are normally covered by water.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline mi-msta

• MSTA Member
Re: Lake east of Deal's Gap
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
They started draining the lake back in September. They are inspecting the dam for leakage and other possible structural problems.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
That makes sense...I'm sure it has been longer since last September since I've been down that way. I pretty much stay away from the Gap unless it happens to be the best way to get somewhere else or some other special situation arises.

US129 photos caught me here...
http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK027O060091&po=87&pc=164
Click on that link and then click next a few times.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:41:18 PM »
Yes I saw it down today and I saw the old road at the bottom. Very interesting!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »
First as usual I'm green with envy, you have a few hours to kill and rode to Deal's Gap. ;)

Very cool pictures, I popped onto Google Maps to get a better view of the lake, and the current aerial picks there also have the lake level very low, however the street views are with a full lake.

https://goo.gl/maps/kPLJBmDXinm

As you go upstream towards Calderwood Dam there's some really low water level area that reminds me of a spot near Hawks Nest park in WV where water is diverted for hydroelectric use. In fact the portion just the dam looks like a similar thing (water is run through a tunnel in the mountain to the powerhouse). Yep that's it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calderwood_Dam#Design
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650