Author Topic: Look what followed me home...  (Read 15990 times)

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: Look what followed me home...
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
Isn't it funny how a guy has to drive/ride many miles to get a great deal. How does that work??? Why wouldn't a dealer more local to you sell it for a great price to entice you to buy it. Also, why didn't someone more local to the dealer buy it???
I bought my first (of 3) St1100's in Charlotte, NC back in '91. A dealer there had a smoking' deal to good to pass up and they answered all my questions with the right answers. My local dealer who at the time was great to work with said he couldn't come close, go buy that bike.  Off I went with a friend 2-up on my then current bike and we rode back through the mountains, deals gap, the smokies and on home to Ohio.
Just something that makes you say "HUH?"   TM

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 05:35:14 AM »
Isn't it funny how a guy has to drive/ride many miles to get a great deal. How does that work??? Why wouldn't a dealer more local to you sell it for a great price to entice you to buy it. Also, why didn't someone more local to the dealer buy it???
I bought my first (of 3) St1100's in Charlotte, NC back in '91. A dealer there had a smoking' deal to good to pass up and they answered all my questions with the right answers. My local dealer who at the time was great to work with said he couldn't come close, go buy that bike.  Off I went with a friend 2-up on my then current bike and we rode back through the mountains, deals gap, the smokies and on home to Ohio.
Just something that makes you say "HUH?"   TM

Tom,
I bought this from a private individual not a dealer. Local dealers had stock FJ-09's for $9999 OTD. That's a good price but not a super price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
I'm glad there are folks that DO buy their bikes from dealerships. That keeps the manufacturers happy and they keep bringing out new and interesting stuff to make those purchases continue. That also keeps the price of used bikes from getting stupid, and that helps me.

At this point in my life, I'd be surprised if I found myself purchasing a new bike from a dealer. In my riding lifetime, I've purchased a total of 20 pre-owned bikes from individuals (not nearly as many as lots of MSTA friends). 4 were sold, 3 crashed, 9 are in the garage and running, and the other 4 are in the garage in suspended animation awaiting restoration or repairs. I don't need as many bikes as I've got, but they continue to put a smile on my face whenever I go into the garage.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

rideandfly

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Same thing happened to me yesterday, a 2015 FJ09 followed me home, love it when that happens.  8)   It's like new condition, low miles, and already farkled except for suspension upgrades:

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 12:01:31 AM »
Well, it's happened again...a used bike followed me home. This time it's a '97 Honda Pacific Coast. And being 25 years old, I'll be able to go straight to an antique tag as that's the cut off in Tennessee.
The bike belonged to a fellow I worked with 10+ years ago, but he didn't do much more than putter around his neighborhood. He had purchased the bike from the widow of a friend of his who died, and the friend also didn't ride much. So...it's got 6,900 miles on the odo and is suffering mostly from lack of use. It hasn't been started for at least 4 years. But the parts are all there. Oil, brake fluid, rear drive lubrication, etc., and probably tires as well, are all on the block for R & R. I'll keep my fingers crossed on fork seals, but I'd just about bet on them starting to puke before long. They've gotta be all dried up.

The bike is pretty stock with the only obvious farkle being a Corbin saddle. But the first owner did source a pair of soft bags to fit into the two sides of the trunk. Those will be useful.

I'll be spending some time this summer freshening up the fluids and such. Maybe later in the year I'll be able to actually get it on the road to ride to one of our events. We'll see. I think it'll be a rider when it's all said and done.

Pictures to follow after I get some elbow grease time in on it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:04:51 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 05:04:57 AM »
Congrats Geoffrey. Try oiling up those fork seals before riding, worth a shot. TM

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 06:25:49 AM »
Well, it's happened again...a used bike followed me home. This time it's a '97 Honda Pacific Coast. And being 25 years old, I'll be able to go straight to an antique tag as that's the cut off in Tennessee.
The bike belonged to a fellow I worked with 10+ years ago, but he didn't do much more than putter around his neighborhood. He had purchased the bike from the widow of a friend of his who died, and the friend also didn't ride much. So...it's got 6,900 miles on the odo and is suffering mostly from lack of use. It hasn't been started for at least 4 years. But the parts are all there. Oil, brake fluid, rear drive lubrication, etc., and probably tires as well, are all on the block for R & R. I'll keep my fingers crossed on fork seals, but I'd just about bet on them starting to puke before long. They've gotta be all dried up.

The bike is pretty stock with the only obvious farkle being a Corbin saddle. But the first owner did source a pair of soft bags to fit into the two sides of the trunk. Those will be useful.

I'll be spending some time this summer freshening up the fluids and such. Maybe later in the year I'll be able to actually get it on the road to ride to one of our events. We'll see. I think it'll be a rider when it's all said and done.

That’s cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »

Very cool and no doubt a "diamond in the rough." 25 years old and under 7,000 miles - does not compute! Enjoy the many hours you'll spend freshening it up, and maybe see you on it in the future.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 01:30:06 PM »
Cool, enjoy it.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:39 PM »

Picture attached.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 07:46:33 AM »
Very pretty. Looks almost brand new! Congrats :trink39:
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 08:07:29 AM »
Upon a close look, the right side foot peg has a slight upward tilt and one of the tip-over-wings has a rough spot on the bottom edge. So it's been dropped at least once. But yeah, it looks really good.
Today is the day to start removing bodywork and attending to R & R of anything needed. And so it begins.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2022, 10:56:17 PM »
We were gone for 8 days to Charlotte, NC and look what is in our garage when we got home. I won't say it followed us, because it was there when we arrived home, and wasn't there when we left. The license plate looks like it might have come from Afghan. The 3 Hondas are hiding under the covers they are so ashamed to have this in the garage.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:58:45 PM by Ride4MS »
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2022, 12:51:36 AM »
Upon a close look, the right side foot peg has a slight upward tilt and one of the tip-over-wings has a rough spot on the bottom edge. So it's been dropped at least once. But yeah, it looks really good.
Today is the day to start removing bodywork and attending to R & R of anything needed. And so it begins.

Most excellent!
Geoffrey Greene

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »

Very cool and no doubt a "diamond in the rough." 25 years old and under 7,000 miles - does not compute! Enjoy the many hours you'll spend freshening it up, and maybe see you on it in the future.

Thanks to my very good friend and fellow MSTA member Roger White. He's been doing stuff like this for a long time while I'm very much a mechanical rookie.
After a couple of days spent stripping the bike and starting to change fluids and such, here's where we are. I understand why you don't see many of these bikes on the road once they've been involved in an accident....they are really ugly beneath the skin. Street-fighter doesn't even start to describe it. No way...no how.
The clutch is floppy and non-functional. A repair kit is on its way.
The air cleaner was not terrible, but may as well start off fresh. A new one is on its way.
The oil, while still looking pretty good, has been changed along with the filter and a new crush washer on the drain plug. The bike has been sitting for an estimated 6-10 years. So while the oil looked like it came straight from a bottle, it's been collecting moisture for years.
The rear drive fluid has been drained and replaced with a new crush washer.
The fuel tank was siphoned empty as much as possible...there wasn't much in it. The tank was topped off with fresh 100% gas from a local station.
The W-A-Y old battery was tossed and a new one installed. Dare we try? Yes! After a few seconds of cranking, the bike fired right up on the choke. After 30-45 seconds, we eased the choke off to see what would happen. Son of a gun...it idled quite nicely. We let it run until it got good and hot to check out the coolant which was also replaced. The fan never came on, but the coolant definitely got hot.
While the tires are several years old, the bike has been sitting inside in a close-to-climate-controlled basement. They look to have no discernable wear and seem to still be fairly pliable. We have decided to leave these tires (one of the brands and models suggested by Honda on the tag inside the trunk) and put some wear on them...we'll see how they hold up.

Things yet to happen...
The clutch rebuilt
The air cleaner replaced
The myriad of plastics replaced on the bike.

Dang...I can see riding the bike in the not too distance future.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:00:27 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene