collapse

Linked Events

• Rally of Historical Proportions: July 06, 2018 - July 08, 2018

Author Topic: Rally of Historical Proportions  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Executive Committee
Rally of Historical Proportions
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Check out the registration link for more information

www.PlanetReg.com/E12718253557791
not all that wander are lost

Offline Patmo

Re: Rally of Historical Proportions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »
Been awhile since I last updated this and there has been a lot happening....

The most recent bit of information is that Don Cecconi, an MSTA member and salesperson at Motus of NKY will be bringing a demo bike to the event and attendees will be able to take it out for a ride.

We have set up a 10% discount at Cattleman’s Steak House....a short walk from the hotel.

We will have some prizes to give away to rally participants.

We currently have about 25 people preregistered.

Those that are preregistered (use the link!) will receive their list of bonus point locations in an email a week prior to the event, so that they can start planning their routes.  Score sheets and rally flags will be given out a check in at the event.

I now plan to be there on Thursday evening so anyone coming in early will have the opportunity to get the routes then.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 05:42:41 AM »
There are at least 4 of us from OH who will be rolling in on Thursday to join you!

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: The horse you rode in on.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
Tosh,  Clem is looking for someone to ride down there with. 
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Life is short.  Go outside and play.
Forgetting one's purpose is the most common form of failure.

Offline Patmo

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:25 PM »
I have attached the bonus point locations for the optional motorcycle picture scavenger hunt.  It is mandatory for those participating in it that they print these out and bring them with you, they are the score sheets.  You will also need to bring a digital camera, smart phone, or tablet that is capable of displaying the needed pictures to the judge (me).  In addition, there is a mandatory LUNCH STOP at one of the restaurants listed.  See the instructions on that sheet.  ALL pictures MUST INCLUDE your bike, the rally flag that you will be provided with at check in, and the name of the bonus location clearly seen in the picture.

Offline Patmo

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »

These are the 4 suggested routes that I set up.  Feel free to use them or make your own.  I will be there starting Thursday evening to help load routes into your GPS.   You may need Microsoft Street and Trips to see these routes here.  I will have a limited supply of printed maps and route sheets at the rally. 

"Official" check in times are Friday afternoon/evening from 3-7 and after dinner until ? and Saturday morning from 6:30-7:30.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:09:32 PM by Patmo »

Offline HawkGTRider

• Lifetime Mileage: 738,638
  • Primary Motorcycle: '07 BMW F650GS thumper now over 100k miles
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
I have attached the bonus point locations for the optional motorcycle picture scavenger hunt.  It is mandatory for those participating in it that they print these out and bring them with you, they are the score sheets.  You will also need to bring a digital camera, smart phone, or tablet that is capable of displaying the needed pictures to the judge (me).  In addition, there is a mandatory LUNCH STOP at one of the restaurants listed.  See the instructions on that sheet.  ALL pictures MUST INCLUDE your bike, the rally flag that you will be provided with at check in, and the name of the bonus location clearly seen in the picture.

Is printing these taking the place of the bonus listings being emailed?
Thanks.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »

Is printing these taking the place of the bonus listings being emailed?
Thanks.

yes.....I will have some there, but since I don't know exactly who is entering the competition I don't want to print and mail things that won't be used.

Offline Patmo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »
Here are some pictures of the route maps

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
Those bigger point locations are tempting to try. I was just recently at the Columbus-Belmont State Park, so I know exactly where to go to find the entrance sign. And if you're committing to that bonus, you may as well go for the Wickliffe Mounds SHS too. And the 15 point sites are pretty much all on the way to and from that side of the state. It'd be a big day, but I may just be the one to do it. After all, getting one of these high value bonuses is equal to having to find 3-5 of the smaller value locations.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator

Offline Patmo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »
Those bigger point locations are tempting to try. I was just recently at the Columbus-Belmont State Park, so I know exactly where to go to find the entrance sign. And if you're committing to that bonus, you may as well go for the Wickliffe Mounds SHS too. And the 15 point sites are pretty much all on the way to and from that side of the state. It'd be a big day, but I may just be the one to do it. After all, getting one of these high value bonuses is equal to having to find 3-5 of the smaller value locations.

Decisions decisions.....what to do?

This is exactly why I set it up the way I did.  There are many different strategies that can be employed.  I’m curious as to just how many people will actually participate and how their plans will differ?  I did try to set it up so that if someone wants to just stay in the area and visit a lot of local sites, that they can be competitive doing just that.  But if someone wants to put some miles on their bike, they will be rewarded for that too.  What’s the best strategy?  I’m not sure.... :) .   

But whatever strategy one uses....they are guaranteed to ride some good roads!

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
Just a reminder to any ROHP participants...you need to save some amount of time at each site to set up your picture for documentation. It takes longer than you might think to position the bike, get your flag out of its secure place and make it visible on the bike, make sure the bike and flag and sign are all clearly visible in the picture, take the picture, and then put everything away securely. If you're going for a lot of bonus locations, that's a LOT of opportunities to have something go wrong.

Just as an example, take a look in Google Maps at the entrance sign to the Kentucky Horse Park. Depending on where you position your bike, it may require a ride up several hundred yards to a gate where you'll need to explain you just need to turn around rather than paying a parking fee. From there, you  get to ride further into the park, do a round-about, and then ride the several hundred yards back out. No problem as long as there are no other folks around. Get caught in a line of people, and you could lose several minutes going through the process.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:27:09 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 10:16:52 PM »
It's my opinion that shorter rallies are really fun, but may be even more intense than some of the multiday events. In a 10-hour rally, what happens when you get caught in a traffic jam on the interstate and sit in place for an hour or more? Every gas stop is time you're not getting a bonus. Having a leisurely lunch is fine, but while you're doing that, someone else may be out getting multiple bonuses. It's just something to think about when there's not a lot of time to catch up for lost time.

I don't know what other folks are doing to plan their ROHP route, but here's what I've done so far. Having the "bonus" listing this far in advance certainly gives us more options.

First thing I did was go through the entire bonus listing and create a file in BaseCamp containing all of the locations. Initially, just getting the locations in the neighborhood was probably good enough.

Next, I looked at the file I'd created to see if I saw, visually, any obvious areas where there were multiple bonuses available. Since the bonus values went up with more than 5 of the 10 pointers and more than 10 of the 5 pointers, I looked for places where that could be accomplished. Some people are probably really good at this sort of thing. I think I'm probably kind of average.

While you can certainly bang out 500-600+ miles in 10 hours of riding down an interstate, it probably won't happen when you're stopping a lot to take photos of places found frequently in out-of-the-way locations. You have to limit yourself to a pace that is manageable. And why are you doing this, anyway? If it's to go bombing around the countryside at an "enthusiastic" pace, that's one thing. If you want to get to places reasonably, and then have time to actually look around a little, that's a whole different animal.

Next on the list was to create a route on the computer (to load onto the GPS later). I personally try to leave some low value bonuses at the end so that if I'm running late I can skip them without destroying my projected total too badly. And if you can have an optional bonus that could be added if you're running way ahead of schedule, that's good too.

Next I spent a few hours pulling up the bonuses in Google Maps and zooming in to street level to see what things actually look like at ground level. I've been able to see where signs are located without having to guess about where they are. That could be a real advantage in some situations.

Lastly give yourself some time to think about what you plan to do. With this much time, you may find yourself changing your route, adding or subtracting bonus locations, or re-ordering the bonuses you've selected.

It's all good. Once you've loaded your route onto your GPS for the event, then it's just a matter of going out and having fun. On any given day, someone else is ALWAYS capable of putting things together better than you. I've heard people say they truly thought they were capable of winning a big scavenger-hunt-type rally. I guess a little ego is ok, but I never wanted to ride as far or as fast as I knew those guys would. I'm going to ride a full day having fun and seeing some places I haven't been before.

If you think anyone that goes through all of that for a one-day ride is nuts, maybe you're right. You can probably have a really fun day with virtually no planning. And I absolutely encourage everyone to do however much they want to do. At the end of the day, I'll happily shake the hand of the winner with a smile on my face.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:00:32 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator

Offline Patmo

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 07:56:59 AM »
The weather forecast is calling for a wet Friday as a cool front comes through.  The good news is that the front will give us a much welcomed break from the 90’s we have been experiencing.  It looks like most of the state will deal with this liquid sunshine on Friday, but will also be mostly sunny on Saturday and Sunday.  As we all know, any forecast more than 48 hours out is not to be trusted.  Let’s hope that the cool front comes through sooner, rather than later, and that Friday turns out to be dry.  But in any case, don’t let a little wetness change your plans or ruin your day.  See you all in a few days!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »
I won't be making this event, and while the scavenger hunt just sounds  a bit too much for me. As I'm reading Geoffrey's helpful hints my head is spinning, picturing a million things that could go wrong.

Enjoy the event everybody.
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

* Upcoming Events