Author Topic: zipper replacment on tail pack  (Read 3710 times)

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
zipper replacment on tail pack
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
The zippers that hold my tail pack in place on the rear seat pull apart every time I zips them up so I'm thinking it is time to replace them with some HD zippers.  Anyone got experience with some type of repair?
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: zipper replacment on tail pack
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
My experience leads me to believe that it's the pull that has worn out and not the zipper itself. I've seen Randy Logan cut a zipper pull off and I was amazed at the kind of wear that occurs to the inside of the pull. The teeth of the zipper are probably ok. The pull is what meshes the teeth together, and it seems the teeth don't wear nearly as fast as the pull.

If you don't have a local person who can do this, ship your bag with both parts of the zipper to Randy Logan in Knoxville at Logan Magic Shoecare. He keeps a variety of sizes of zipper pulls, and it doesn't seem to be that big a deal if you have the right replacement pull and know what to do. Cut the old pull off. Pry off the little stops at the end of the zipper. Slide the new pull on. Replace the stops. Simple. Right? Randy's replaced just about every zipper pull on my Aerostich and other gear as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:15:45 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
If you can't part with it long enough to ship it, then bring it to STAR with you. We have a local boot shop that does that kind of thing.  They reattached the straps on my tailbag when it was ripped off the ninja.  They are in Fayetteville, the College Boot shop.
If you are interested then give them a call, they usually can turn things around in a few hours.

Gayla
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »
Thanks.  Both great ideas.  The zippers keep separating after I zip them up. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:04:57 PM by brider »
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90