Author Topic: Zumo apps  (Read 6936 times)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Zumo apps
« on: May 08, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
I bought my Zumo390LM becasue it was the most reasonably priced replacement for my Nuvi 500. In other words as a motorcycle friendly  GPS. Lately I have discovered a couple of the apps. Getting on a Multistrada 950 after years on a Concours 14 I sorely missed the buit in tire pressure monitor. The 390 has a TPS app and it works great. The Garmin sendors are not cheap but reasonable since they have replaceable baterries. The Kawasaki sensors do not have replaceable batts and cost 5X as much and need a trip to the dealer to code to the bike. The app is easy to use and you can set the navigation screen dashboard to show running psi. So far I have not had the low pressure warning pop up as I have not let me pressure get that low so I can't comment on how that feature works.

The other app I just discovered is the Garmen action cam controller. I don't have the camera yet but last week on a ride with a friend who has the VIRB Elite I was able to control his camera mounted on his bike while he was riding behind me. I have a GoPro but don't use it because it is too much trouble to operate with gloves on. Have a remote for my smart phone but smartphone is not really glove friendly even with phone enabled gloves and the screen is too small anyway.

I am going to get a VIRB and use the Zumo app to control it while I watch the view on my phone with the VIRB smartphone app. I am not sure about that last bit but will report back.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Zumo apps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
I have both the Garmin tire pressure sensors and a VIRB camera. On my bike (I’m told not others) the rear tire sensor keeps losing lock and becomes a PITA. The VIRB works great and is easy to use as you are not fiddling around with the camera but just touching the icon on your GPS screen.....much safer!
I’ll email you my YouTube site so you can see an end product.
Glad to trade notes at STAR. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
Re: Zumo apps
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »
I posted the video I made on Tony Crowell using Jim Girton VIRB on Facebook. Look forward to seeing your You Tube vids. And looking forward to getting some good vids and stills during STAR.

I was amazed at how far the GPS and camera could connect, you'd think the GPS and TPS would be able to stay connected.

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
I have this GoPro remote that works with mine, and I can use it with gloves OK.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Smart-Remote-Official-Accessory/dp/B00NIYNU8E?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00NIYNU8E

Id have ta give up either my GPS, phone or RD if I wanted to mount it!
It is very small, comes with a velcro strap, I have mine mounted on top of the clutch reservoir on my VFR with the included strap. Until I got the remote I too was not enjoying my Go Pro and trying to fumble around (top of helmet mount) with the buttons.

I hate to spend the $$ on a Go Pro then set it aside to buy another camera.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
Go Pro Remote

I just attach the remote to a safety line and then clip it to the front of my jacket. Easy peasy and I dont have to move the mounting from one of my bikes to the other, wherever I go the remote goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »
Go Pro Remote

I just attach the remote to a safety line and then clip it to the front of my jacket. Easy peasy and I dont have to move the mounting from one of my bikes to the other, wherever I go the remote goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Interesting option. When I first got my I didnt read the manual or realize what the included strap was for. So I used velcro on the clutch reservoir and bottom of remote, with a velcro cable tie through its end to secure it. Then I saw Bryan Dunlap at an even with his anchored to something on the bars. Then I realized what that strap was for. I can move it from bike to bike and don't even leave it on other than when I'm using the camera.

You could probably use the included strap to put it on your arm, but not sure how well it would stay in place while riding.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650