Author Topic: A new member looking for great places to ride.  (Read 8748 times)

Abercrombie

A new member looking for great places to ride.
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
North Dakota isn't the best place to own a FJR so I am always on the look out for great places and people to ride with.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: A new member looking for great places to ride.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
We rode thru ND last year after STAR in Rapid City. Nice state but yes straight roads.
Plan on STAR this June in Arkansas you won't be disappointed! -JEP- 

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abercrombie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
We rode thru ND last year after STAR in Rapid City. Nice state but yes straight roads.
Plan on STAR this June in Arkansas you won't be disappointed! -JEP- 

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up about STAR in Arkansas.  I wish I would have known about it earlier.  That week is booked up teaching a MSF BRC Monday and Tuesday and attending the 2015 Black Hills FJR Roundup in Spearfish SD organized on the FJRForum Wednesday though Sunday.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »
North Dakota isn't the best place to own a FJR so I am always on the look out for great places and people to ride with.
I also came home from STAR last year via North Dakota. I had been through there only when time was short, but I was able to do a little more flower sniffing this time. I camped one night in Theodore Roosevelt National Park (south unit) and then went through the north unit the next day. The night in the south unit was punctuated by the threat of a tornado somewhere to the west. A ranger came around to inform all campers to head for the cinderblock walled restrooms. The sky turned dark, the wind howled, and then the wind quit and the sun came back out. It's good to be prepared, but it turned out to be a beautiful evening.

Since I hadn't ever visited Saskatchewan or Winnepeg, it was an easy detour to go into Saskatchewan a few miles west of its border with Winnepeg, go east into Winnepeg, and then south back into the US at the next border crossing. That checks off all of the western Canadian provinces and territories from my to-do list. I look forward to checking off the eastern provinces some day.

I'd have to say riding in N.D. is best appreciated by someone with plenty of time and a bike with a relaxed seating position. Your FJR is certainly a fine machine for getting you someplace else.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about STAR in Arkansas.  I wish I would have known about it earlier.  That week is booked up teaching a MSF BRC Monday and Tuesday and attending the 2015 Black Hills FJR Roundup in Spearfish SD organized on the FJRForum Wednesday though Sunday.

Arkansas does have great roads, and lot's of 'em, however I had a fantastic time around Spearfish S.D. last Aug./Sept. Great roads with great scenery. I could ride Spearfish Canyon Highway everyday, I think you'll have a great time if the weather will be cooperative.
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
Try Cody, WY to Red Lodge, MT some time.  Very memorable roads and scenery.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »
Try Cody, WY to Red Lodge, MT some time.  Very memorable roads and scenery.
I went to great lengths to try and include as many good roads as possible on my extended trip last summer.  Dropping down into Colorado from S.D., I went through Rocky Mtn National Park and then over to Dinosaur National Monument (camped one night in Echo Park down at the bottom of a canyon in the Monument...very very neat). Then came up through Grand Tetons and into Yellowstone. Exiting Yellowstone to the east and through Cooke City, I spent a couple of nights at the first National Forest Service campground coming back into Wyoming. The extra night was to be able to spend a day going across Beartooth Pass to the east to Red Lodge, back to near the campground, and then to Cody via the Chief Joseph Highway to the east and then back. It was a very fine day. :-)
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
Riding around the Big Horn Mountains between Sheridan and Cody is also a good time. US14A goes across some high mountain plateau that was very scenic, and winter like in June after STAR last year. We did a loop east across the southern portion on US16, around to Greybull and then west on US14 to Sheridan for the night. The next morning we left Sheridan and did US14 and US14A(alt). It wasn't much fun afte coming out of the mountains but 14A runs right into Cody eventually.

ND may not have much, but at least its close to some of those areas that have geat riding and fantastic scenery.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650