Author Topic: Hornet Deer Avoidance System  (Read 3098 times)

Offline erniee

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: MOTO GUZZI V85 Honor Guard
Hornet Deer Avoidance System
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »

http://www.xp3hornet.com/
Looking for feed back on this product. Does anyone use this on their bikes?
Seems to make sense in theory, but real world use may say different.
Thanks

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Hornet Deer Avoidance System
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:26 AM »
Ask your local deer to get their take on this! 

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
Two things:
1) How sure are we that the deer are hearing something...anything? And if they do hear it, how does a deer interpret the sound? Is it an unpleasant sound or something good?
2) Even if they hear something, what direction are they going to run? Their method of avoiding hazards seems to be an unpredictable and random escape/running pattern. If the deer is in front of you, will they run away from you or into YOUR path?

Until I can get better answers for these questions, I'll spend my money on improving my own riding techniques and fuel.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:06:56 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:47:06 AM »
Yup, they've never proven what a critter will do when in the "fight or flight" mode triggered by a strange and loud noise.   

Online RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
The only reports that I've seen that claim that they truly work are those by the manufactures. If you Google "do deer whistles work" you will find lots of reports and most are negative or inconclusive at best. -JEP-
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/how-effective-are-deer-whistles-to-avoid-vehicle-collisions

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
Yep I'd be very skeptical, just an electronic version of the same old deer whistles that people have been mounting on their cars for a long time. As other say, even if they work, do they drive the deer away from your path, or just send them running.

I will comment on my own experience with wild life and noises, my 98 VFR has a Micron pipe and is very load compared to my other bikes. There is often more movement from animals as I approach than with other bikes. But I don't consider it a safety system. Would love to see somebody tackle this, MCN, Mythbusters, Consumer Reports.

I was doing a bit of digging and found this, an article Fred Rau wrote titled "Animal Alerts…Proven Protection, or Motorcycling Myth?" its on some other forum, could not locate another source.

His conclusion "Of all the units tested, the Hornet was the most effective, but even that isn’t saying much."

link 
https://www.thevog.net/threads/deer-whistles-do-they-really-work-an-in-depth-report-by-fred-rau.3439/
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:12 AM »
The OH state patrol had deer whistles installed on a group of their cars, probably ones that patrolled areas well known for deer strikes.  One group had the whistles while another test group were without whistles.  After an extensive study that took several years it was found that cars with the whistles had roughly the same number of deer strikes as cars without the deer whistles so they removed the whistles.  :-)