Author Topic: 1 piece riding suits  (Read 8230 times)

VersysRider

1 piece riding suits
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
It's time to buy new gear and I've been looking at 1 piece riding suits. Aerostich is the obvious choice, but out of my price range at $1000+ (unless I can find a used one, size 44L according to Aerostich). I am looking in the $500 or less range in a 1 piece textile riding suit. There are several choices out there but do any compare to an Aerostich? What are your suggestions? Right now i am looking hard at the Tour Master Centurion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AZwUJ1OlDI

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: 1 piece riding suits
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »
The video sure makes it sound good. Did you notice they never mentioned rain or water proof or resistant at all? Just get a set of Frog Toggs to go with it and you have lots of versatile too.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »
Big fan of the 'stitch, buuuuut as you said, pricy.  However, I have seen slightly used ones being sold on the ADVrider forum for reasonable price.

I purchased an Olympia Phantom about 6 years ago for 350.00 new (had a special 30% discount card from BMW/Louisville).  It has held up very well.  Only problem it has had is with one arm vent zipper going bad.  I had that fixed for $20.00.  It takes me a minute longer than a 'stitch to get in and out of, but so what?  I recently purchased a MESH 1-piece Olympia to compliment it, bought off ADVrider as a used unit.  Owner said he had used it 5 times, and it looks like it.
Fitting on a 1-piece can be tricky, especially if you are looking for a perfect fit. Some people can wear one right off the rack with no problem, some can't. Aerostitch offers custom tailoring that others do not.  2-piece units can sometimes make fitting easier.

Now.....would I get another 1-piece, or would I go with a 2-piece in the future?  I think I would go with the 2-piece, in all honesty. A little more flexible IMO, especially when you get to a stop and don't want to drag the suit around with you.  However, for commuting to work, the 1-piece works very well.
not all that wander are lost

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
I switched from a 1-pc to a 2-pc because it gives me more flexibility. I can choose a mesh or cordura jacket, or switch from cordura pants to armored jeans for short rides (e.g., to a local restaurant). I have more options to match my gear selection to the weather.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »
I too had a Roadcrafter 1 piece but switched to the Darien because of the flexibility. I too had purchased an Olympia one piece in gray with yellow and it really looked cool I even had a local seamstress put a button hole in the side for the Gerbing heated jacket cord. It was a great product for the money. I had two issues with it. 1) Both the arms and the Legs were too long for me. See it was an off the rack size. 2) It definitely does not have the quality armor that my Aerostich Darien has.
YMMV
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
+1 on the Darien jacket and pants.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
I've had at a few Tourmaster/Cortech jackets and I would say I'm not that impressed with how well they hold up. Both jackets had the velcro strip along the main zipper area come lose in what seemed like a shorter period of time than I expected. These were items in the 150-250 ranges.
One other comment on the discussion so far, somebody mentioned Frogg Toggs for rain, my experience so far with a set I have is great for short light rains, but if it is a lengthy or heavy rain, the material eventually absorbs water and lets it through. Basically just a treated paper. Gortex, PVC, vinyl, etc are much better choices for rain gear. I went the Frogg Toggs because they are light and compact down well.
Good luck in your hunt for new gear.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
One day sale on one piece suit
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
My personal choice is Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. If someone is considering a one piece suit, this Scorpion suit is on sale today only at motorcycle-superstore.com. Seems like an exceptional buy if that is what you are looking for.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/dotd?SiteID=em_08_25_DOTD_Image_34356468&WT.mc_ID=36600&utm_medium=email