Author Topic: New Person to MSTA  (Read 5494 times)

Offline alfalfa

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 950,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Triumph GT
New Person to MSTA
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »
I would call myself a "newbie", but as far as motorcycle riding goes, I am probably older than most and therefore, ridden more than most.  I started sport touring in the early 70's.  Years before it was popular.  I had to build my own motorcycle so I could travel. 

These days, I travel on a fuel injected monster with so many comforts I could not imagine back in the early 70's.  My wife is an avid motorcycle rider as well. 

You ride your own motorcycle, dear??  Let's get married!!!  And, we did!!  We go on many outings each year as she rides her own ST machine.

This is actually the very first group for traveling I have ever joined.  I might be losing my LONE WOLF status.  I really enjoy ST machines.  When I see one, I stop and admire it.  No mater what brand it is.

I live in central Arkansas right in the middle of the Ozarks.  I have one right outside my front door.  You should see the mountain range I have to cross over just to get BEER!!!!  And, the mountain is called "Woolverton Mountain" as made popular in the 1960's song about Clifton Clower.  Been to his grave!!!

I am planning my usual trip out west this summer.  Camping and riding.  I always camp.  Clear back to my first motorcycle in 1965 and the first ever adventure in traveling by motorcycle

John

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: New Person to MSTA
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
Welcome from eastern Tennessee!

I'm planning a not-so-much-ST-...-more-DS ride next summer through the eastern Canadian provinces next summer, and will be camping the vast majority of the time.

Getting into riding only in the mid 80s when I was in my mid 30s, I've been trying to make up lost ground ever since.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!

I think that you will find quite a few people in this group that also tend towards the “Lone Wolf” when it comes to sport touring...at least  when taking trips.  Although it’s also not that unusual for many of us to travel to one of our rallies with 1-2 close friends.  Same is true AT our rallies.  No large group riding here.  Most people spend their days riding alone or in groups of no more than 3-4.  Where we do tend to gather in larger groups is when it comes time to eat and drink.  :).  We’ve got a few regional rallies scheduled in Arkansas this coming year, and our National isn’t far away (Cape Girardeau, MO) either.  Hope to see you at them this year.

Pretty sure I’ve got a recording of Woolverton Mountain somewhere in my vinyl collection too.  I’ll have to pull it out and listen to it again, been awhile.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »
Welcome John,
Sounds like you are one of us. I didn’t get my own first bike until 1970 because Mom said you’ll never have one while you live under my roof. I still rode my friends bikes. The in 1970 I got back from Nam... been riding ever since.
Like you I live in riding heaven... I’m in Western North Carolina. Hope to meet you riding this year.
Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »
Welcome John from South Florida!
Looking forward to meeting you at a MSTA event. -JEP-

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
Hi John!!!
Welcome to AR!
We are in Elm Springs, just west of Springdale ( about 2 1/2 hours from you). We did a ride over toward you today, not quite all the way.
Shoot us an email and we'll try to get you on the email list for rides.
In the winter we do mostly short notice rides when the weather allows.
Think of a good lunch spot towards you and we'll bring the crew your way. We're always looking for new restaurants.
Welcome again,
Gayla and Bill

Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline lifeisgood

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Ninja 1000
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »
Welcome John, from the "other half" (of Jim Park).  Look forward to meeting you and your riding spouse.
Dianne Park
Dianne Park
MSTA PR Director

Offline wengland

• Administrator
    • Will England - Photography
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:41:14 AM »
Welcome from KC!  Sounds like you are living the dream!

Will