Author Topic: Well I went and did it... Had a heart attack  (Read 32195 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Well I went and did it... Had a heart attack
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
I'm in Carolina's Medical Center in Charlotte, NC. I'm awaiting a triple bypass. Probably on Monday or Tuesday.
This happened on Wednesday AM while working out at a facility associated with the smaller hospital in Morganton. Thursday they did a heart cath and found much more than they had anticipated. Three major blockages on the left side of my heart. Since I lost a lot of weight and am in good condition they think I'm a good candidate for a less invasive surgery. I wish to go that way.
I want/need to get the hell out of here!

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline BentAero

• Forum Member
Re: Well I went and did it... Had a heart attack
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
Holy-Moly Brick!
The good news if we can call it that, is that it occurred while you were at a medical facility. Please keep us posted on your progress. Any prognosis of when you'll be back on two-wheels?
Hang tough, buddy!

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Thank God you've found the problem before any permanent damage was done! The workouts have obviously helped you, and hopefully you'll be as good as new in short order. Count your blessings buddy, the cemeteries are full of good guys who didn't have the benefit of a warning. Our prayers will be with you, and we are sincerely willing to do anything we can to help, short of footing a big medical bill that is :). Syd
Touringman

Offline Mooose

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Ducati Scrambler
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:33:14 PM »
Hey buddy. we're all hoping for the best. Wish I could be there for you like you and Patricia were for me a few years back.
Mooose

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
Hang in there, Brick.  It's a big deal, but it is also quite common.

I read the following:
"The surgery can take 3 to 6 hours. You will stay in the hospital at least 3 to 8 days after the surgery. It can take 4 to 6 weeks to recover at home. Most people are able to return to work within 1 to 2 months after surgery.

Oh no!  They'll put you back to work.  ;-)
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:55:39 PM »
Hang in there, Brick.  It's a big deal, but it is also quite common.

I read the following:
"The surgery can take 3 to 6 hours. You will stay in the hospital at least 3 to 8 days after the surgery. It can take 4 to 6 weeks to recover at home. Most people are able to return to work within 1 to 2 months after surgery.

Oh no!  They'll put you back to work.  ;-)

Is there a joke in there somewhere? Like the old question about a guy asking if he'd be able to play the piano after surgery, being told yes, and then him saying how great that would be since he couldn't play before.
Brick: Will I go back to work after the surgery?
Doctor: Certainly.
Brick: Darn...I quit working years ago, and now I have to start again?
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that buddy! The good news is you got the warning and sounds like you are doing all of the right things.
Get well and back riding soon! -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 06:51:31 AM »
We are all pulling for you and hoping for a quick and full recovery.  Goes without saying that we all want to see you back on the road and posting up pictures of your wintertime riding again this year.  We all look forward to seeing just how nice it is down there, while we are shoveling snow up here..... :) .   LOL

Unfortunately, as the the average age of the club continues to creep up, we are all becoming candidates for more and more medical problems.  I know that you have been working very heard over the last months to improve your physical condition, and that will help you to recover more fully and more quickly.  But this should serve as a wake up for all of us slackers that we all need to start doing more. 

GET WELL SOON!!!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
Thank you all for the encouraging words... except the work part. No I don't want to do that.
As is everything in this world, it's all about timing. Teresa, our daughter, is flying in to spend a week with us on Sunday. Now she gets to visit the old man in the hospital. Also I was signed up  to ride this years http://sc-ma.com/rides/three-flags-classic-tour. I'm bummed I won't be going! The route this year is from Tombstone, AZ to Kimberely BC. It's 4 days three nights with 3 or 4 check points. I've ridden it twice before. I would have been leaving here probably on the 26th to have an enjoyable ride out to Tombstone.
My ticket is now for sale if any of you want to ride the Three Flags. Let me know asap as I'm going to contact the sc-ma.com soon.

Regarding when I can ride again... well obviously it depends on how the surgery goes. There are two types of this surgery that they are considering. The normal crack you sternum and go in which the recovery time is much longer. The other way is through the ribs and it is only possible for me for a couple of reasons. 1) my current physical condition is very favorable and 2) because my three blockages are on the left side of my heart. The recovery time from it is much less. I sure am pulling for the second method!

Oh YES! As I was typing this the surgeon came in and told me he will be doing the less invasive surgery on Tuesday morning!

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
Hang in there Brick!   ;)

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »
Brick,

Considering all the remote places you could have been when this happened, you are VERY fortunate. Also, you're getting the less invasive surgery. It will take time for sure, but it sounds to me like a full recovery is in the offing. I'm very happy for you.

The heart attack I had in 2009 was traumatic, but after my recovery, my health was much better than before the heart attack. This is a real possibility for you too.

Remember it's always darkest just before dawn. Don't be discouraged or intimidated. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Norm Kern

Offline EZX

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »
Prayers sent, wish you well.

Claude

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
I echo all the posted sentiments. I have some stents and know what it means. You honestly have to count your blessings. This could of happened where you couldn't get immediate medical care. Thank the man above as I'm sure he'll be with you. Pray for quick recovery and looking forward to you  soon to be riding again. Larry
Wardie

Offline STbob1300

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Travelers
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 NC700XD
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 06:50:23 PM »
Speedy recovery Brick. Thankfully, this didn't happen when you would be out in god's elbow somewhere in Arizona! Ruth & I are thinking of you and sending good vibes your way my friend. Peace.

Offline BMWKeith

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 813,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GS
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about the current difficulties.  Glad it's small compared to the other possibilities.

Get well soon, and see you on the road.
Keith D.
Pentwater, MI
R1200GS, S1000R, CBR600F4i