Author Topic: Fall Colors 2017  (Read 7792 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Fall Colors 2017
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
Hello everyone! My feet are itching to get back out on the road! Several people have emailed me concerning dates and info on this years rally. I have been remiss in not posting something before now. I'll give you very general information, and Doug almost has the web site ready to go. I'll post that as soon as we proof it. Our Thursday night Early Bird Dinner will be on September 28th, 2017, and the rally will end on Sunday the 1st of October. We will eat at Food and Friends again this year, as the feedback was universally good last year. Please email me if you have questions. Syd :D
Touringman

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Fall Colors 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
Thanks Syd!  By the way, Food & Friends was great.  In spite of being very crowded and us walking in with "party of 20" or whatever we had, they took care of us in a prompt manner.   :-)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
Actually Tosh, I made reservations for 35, and we had more than that! I thought the service was extraordinarily. I just hope for a repeat. Syd :D
Touringman

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
Thanks for posting, Syd!

Norm Kern

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
Thank You Syd and to all of our Event Coordinators for your hard work that makes our AMA sanctions events possible

Dennis 
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »
Thanks Syd looking forward to another one.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
Thanks, Syd. I can't wait.

Food & Friends was so good that I took Kris there a month later when we passed through the area. She was equally impressed.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
Hello everyone, Fall Colors will be here before you know it, and registrations seem to be lagging a bit. Maybe I need to wake up , and start stirring things up a little!The official dates for the Ride are Sept. 29th through October 1st. Our early bird special dinner will be at Food and Friends on Thursday the 28th. I would really appreciate it if those who are pretty sure they are coming would go on and register. It helps me a lot to have an idea of how many to plan for. I have to make reservations for a pretty accurate estimation of attendees for the "Early Bird" dinner at Food and Friends for one thing. You will experience a true culinary delight at Food and Friends, and we will be in our own section together. Coming early assures you of having a couple of days to sample the tempting routes. A lot of events are Saturday, and done. Come early-stay late, and enjoy yourself a little longer. The room rate remains the same. Your registrations include a $10 gift certificate to the excellent Ruby Tuesday. There isn't a better value in a rally anywhere! Who knows, we may be paying you to attend some time in the future?! The web site is msta-se.com/fcr. You'll find access to online registration there, as well as a link to print out a form to mail. Pre registration, and the low price ends September the 8th. You can beat that by a mile, and help me out, if you'd go on and register now. The hotel room can be cancelled by 6pm on the date of arrival. Come on down, and enjoy the roads of West Virginia and Virginia with us! Oh, and by the way, I've put in a special order for great weather! Syd :trink39:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:50:24 PM by touringman »
Touringman

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
A few years back during a previous STAR, I rode to the top of Bald Knob on the Cass Railroad and it seems as if the entire train was reserved for us.  It was our Tuesday Lunch Ride and was great fun. 

This year at Fall Colors, Deb & I are taking the ride up Bald Knob on Friday, Sept 29, in case anyone wants to join us.  They have one run that leaves at 9 AM and another that leaves at 11:45 AM, we're on the latter, with the total time for up/down being 4-1/2 hours but they have to stop for the locomotive to take on water partway way up/down so the actual time the train is moving is closer to 3 or 3-1/2 hours. The Bald Knob run includes a "hobo lunch" which I presume is eaten at the top. 

You can get reservations at the Cass Railroad website or maybe buy them onsite that day but I wouldn't rely on that method because you might be disappointed. 

And if you haven't visited the Greenbank Telescope facility, it's well worth the stop...just leave your microwave ovens at home!  Two more reasons to attend Fall Colors! 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:49:52 AM by DirtFlier »

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
Syd I registered through the Paypal guest portal. Please let me know if you received the Paypal confirmation. Larry Ward

Dirtflier I'm checking with riding buddy Nate Davis to see if he wants to ride the Cass mountain Railroad.
Wardie

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:25 AM »
You are good to go Larry, and thanks for pre registering. Syd :clap:
Touringman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
Hey everyone! Fall Colors is just around the corner, and pre registration has picked up the pace considerably! Thanks to all who've pre registered. After a little confusion with the Q Inn, they've informed me that there is a cut off on our block of $79.95 rooms on 9/21. This gives them 7 days to fill any rooms that we don't! PLEASE go on and reserve your rooms NOW, to avoid any confusion. The rooms can be cancelled up to 6PM on the day of your arrival. It doesn't get any better than that! Our web site is http://msta-se.com/fcr, and All the info you need is right there. Once again, the honorable Dr. Pippin has tweaked each and every route to perfection, so if you have older routes, please delete them, and download the new ones. When you roll into the parking lot, you'll undoubtedly be met with the glitter of my brand new CTX700DCT in the candy Apple metalflake red. For your own protection, please wear your sunglasses!  Remember, Thursday night dinner together in our own section at Food and Friends in beautiful downtown Lewisburg. Let me know if you need help! Syd:-)
Touringman

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:06:48 AM »
Seems there are more than one forum site with information for the 2017 Fall Colors Ride

Here's links to the various forum pages and the Fall Colors web sites

http://ridemsta.com/mstaforums/fall-colors-ride/2017-fall-colors-ride/

http://ridemsta.com/mstaforums/msta-sanctioned-event-reports/fall-colors-2017/

2017 Fall Colors web site

2017 Fall Colors Suggested Route page updated Aug 31 where you can download routes GPS & printable

If you downloaded routes prior to August 31, 2017 you may want to download the latest routes that have been changed since last year.

Doug

MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/