Author Topic: RKA Comment on Communications  (Read 15462 times)

Offline R1200GS

• Forum Member
Re: RKA Comment on Communications
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »

Number one, RKA is making assumptions that are TOTALLY incorrect.  He implies I was the only one with the problem and it was something wrong with my gear.  WRONG ANSWER!!!When I got the noise I was in a totally BT setup paired EXACTLY by the 20S user's manual.  The GMRS was NOT paired or even turned on. On the day I first heard the noise NOT ONE of the other riders had a GMRS radio connected PERIOD.  I was the only one who used the GMRS radio with a BT connection, the others used an SR10 to make the GMRS connection.  I was not aware of the noise issue until the other guys all started talking about the "box of rocks" which they all were well aware of.  We all got the noise no matter how they were connected.  Let me make something PERFECTLY clear again, EVERY pairing connection was EXACTLY by the users manual.  Neither Jeff, Norm or myself are new guys to testing a system.  This is a common, WELL KNOWN issue among 20s users.  It's all over the web.  Sena has known about this issue since the early days of the 20s.  I have yet see ONE person state that they had the issue fixed.  Norm and Jeff were testing the 30K yesterday and the results were pretty much a failure in the Mesh mode.  Since there was only two of them I don't believe they were able to test the 30K in a daisy chain to simulate the 20s issue. 

My major gripe is that too many people say the 30K is the answer to the 20S noise issue.  The 30K needs to prove that in the field.

When you speak of getting more positive about the 30K, I would be absolutely positive if major features worked as advertised.  I would also be positive if I saw Sena actually fix the noise issue in a reasonable amount of time for the 20K.  The negative reviews that I have found on the 20s noise issue have a consistent theme of "try this or that" which did not work and after a while all responses stop.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:29:22 PM by R1200GS »

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000 at least
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
I miss understood what you said sorry.

I started this thread and I am going to end it here.

Ride safe.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 06:57:18 AM »
I’ve never had a noise issue when using my 20S.....I must be doing something wrong?   :)

My only complaint about any of these units is their complexity for non-technical people.  I HATE multi-switches!  I can never remember if I’m supposed to tap it 2 times, or push and hold 3 times, or tap once and push twice, or do the hokey pokey and turn myself around. 

I rather have a separate button to push to pair up, or to connect my phone, or to connect the GPS...or to just have it all do it automatically.

I’ll go back i to my hole now and let y’all battle it out.  When spring actually gets here can someone wake me up?
not all that wander are lost

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
 :(
It baffles my mind that people will buy a new gizmo on it's first run, and then complain to high heaven about it. This whole discussion thread makes me really glad that I didn't buy a Sena 20S (or any model) like I was going to, since it's clearly not something I need. I ride most of the time alone or with 1-3 other riders maybe 5 times a year. I'll just stick to my MP3 player connected with a wire to the speakers in my helmet, if and when I want music. When I need to make a call - I'll stop like I've always done before (since my first days of riding, when you had to find a pay phone.) I don't need my phone, GPS, music, the other guy, the radio, etc. all cackling in my head while I'm trying to relax and destress by riding. Some people seem to enjoy taking the fun out of life.
That's all I've got. Oh yeah, and thanks Richardrka for TRYING to please everyone.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »
I really like my 20S...as much as I’ve figured out, that is.  I finally figured out how to get music to play by telling SIRI to play music.  I took a phone call while riding a few weeks back from Daryl, (not sure exactly how I did that, but the sound was great), and a few times I’ve been able to figure out how to get it to pair with others pretty easily....but only a few times.  They came in really handy when Norm, Larry, and I were traveling together a couple of years ago.  Thankfully Norm was there to talk me through it.  And I really like the Bluetooth element of it becsuse it means no wires running all over the place anymore (that I would always forget to unplug when I went to take my helmet off..DOH!).  My wife says I have no capacity to multi-task, so being able to do only a couple of things at the same time is probably better for me anyway.  Any more than that and I’m sure I would just get even more confused than my normal state.   Wait....was that motorcycle that just went by?  Now where were we? 

Some of us were just born into the wrong time period, I guess.  :(
not all that wander are lost

Offline R1200GS

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
This is a reply to both Rich and Pat's last posts.  The negative stuff that has been coming up is primarily by folks who actually use all those buttons, dials, etc.  You don't have any problems with the 20s, maybe even the 30k, not sure, until you start getting into groups of 3+ and try to make the unit do what Sena says it will do..  I've had my 20s for a couple years and it was only about a week ago that I even tried to use it for group comms.  Norm has been doing group rides at MSTA events for a long time and expects the gear to work as advertised.  If you don't use a feature then you assume it works, but as we are finding out that ain't necessarily so. 

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »
I don't need my phone, GPS, music, the other guy, the radio, etc. all cackling in my head while I'm trying to relax and destress by riding.

Well you know, different strokes for.....

Yeah, when I go out for a quick 2 hour distress ride I don't even turn my 20S on. However longer routes may need some musical or even Books on Tape (mp3) enhancement to get me to the motel 2 states away with out brain numbness.  Is the 20s perfect?..no...you get more than 2 bikes on the intercom and it sounds like someone is popping bubble wrap. With a long row of bikes if one gets out of position by more than one bike, then everyone that was behind that bike is cut off from the group until they go back intto position in the chain.One would think that the voice command thing would solve a lot of problems with all the buttons...but no. Sometimes when I try to stretch some neck muscles while riding I accidentally hit one of the buttons with my left shoulder and I get the young lady saying "Say a command" over and over. By the third repetition I'm yelling "CANCEL!" so loud that I think people in nearby cages can hear me. Finally it times out.  Thankfully I don't ride much in the cold, but when I do ride below 38 degrees the 20S will just decide to shutoff on it's own at random times. 

However, I still like it, and use it for most of my trips. It works great when just two bikes are involved and it's range really impresses me. Forget to charge it last night?.. no problem hook up the USB cord and ride with it powered and charging.  I also like the voice feedback of what is going on. My old Nolan helmet BT device had no voice just a Morse code of beeps and dings, half the time I couldn't even tell if it was on. It had fewer buttons but the long list of stuff it could do and the number of times you had to push this button and that one was totally unlearn-able. Battery life?... it might have lasted the day and might not have, but no power cord option, just had to wait and charge it up again when you got to tonight's destination, and no headphone jack or outside mic either. Yep the 20S isn't perfect, but it's a heck of lot better than my last unit, by far!
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 10:59:11 AM »
 Hi MSTA,

These latest posts are the posts I can deal with and enjoy helping riders.

PATMO “My only complaint about any of these units is their complexity for non-technical people.  I HATE multi-switches!  I can never remember if I’m supposed to tap it 2 times, or push and hold 3 times, or tap once and push twice, or do the hokey pokey and turn myself around”

I would really like to know what buttons you need to push once you turn the unit on. And connect to your device. I can help you with that.

RICHGRAB  “It baffles my mind that people will buy a new gizmo on it's first run, and then complain to high heaven about it.”

This is a GREAT comment. And I want to say again, “I never said they where perfect”.
 BUT with the ability to do firmware updates most all the issues are fixed, in time.

PATMO “I finally figured out how to get music to play by telling SIRI to play music.”

I have a couple of videos on “Hello SENA” and “HEY SIRI” here are the links

https://youtu.be/qrEVgfatyjM
 https://youtu.be/ss5GoS1PYhg

“Hello SENA” can do maybe more than you think read pages 34 -35 of your manual.
 My favorites are “Speed Dial”, “FM radio” “Stereo Music”
 Many folks think “HEY SIRI” is just for phone calls. NOT... you can actually VOICE TEXT a message.
 My favorite is “Take me to a McDonalds” .... You CAN start "HEY SIRI" with your gloves on. Ask me.

PATMO “I’ve been able to figure out how to get it to pair with others pretty easily....but only a few times”.

Pairing to another unit should be a one time event. RKA has a video for this also, but I am going to give you those instruction right now.
 Hold Jog Button down on both units until the voice prompt says “Intercom Pairing” Then TAP …. (Press and release) ONE of the units Jog button. “Your headsets are paired” 

FARTYMARTY “
Sometimes when I try to stretch some neck muscles while riding I accidentally hit one of the buttons with my left shoulder and I get the young lady saying "Say a command" over and over.”

Another great comment. I also hate this happening and it’s a little story to tell you how I finally figured it out myself 😉 The side of the unit is defaulted for “TAPPING your fingers” (ON THE BODY IN FRONT OF THE JOG DIAL) on it to start “Voice commands” Go into the “APP’s configuration menu and TURN THAT FUNCTION OFF. "Motion sensor sensitivity" Then you have to press and release the Ambient button to activate.

every new product has issues and I have trusted SENA for over eight years to fix them, they have not been 100%, but they do a good job.

If you need answers I am here to help …. If I do not know the answer I will say so and then go and try and find it.

I would very much like to invite you to visit our "RKA YouTube Page" over 160 videos and some kitty videos for good measure.

SENA is not perfect, but it is the very best solution for motorcycle communications
 I am looking forward to coming to STAR and meeting everyone.

:trink39:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:10:42 AM by Richardrka »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
Richard I would like to use the ambient sound function. When I’ve pushed that button I don’t understand what it says?? Please inform me how to use that function.
Thanks
Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 03:13:29 AM »
Richard I would like to use the ambient sound function. When I’ve pushed that button I don’t understand what it says?? Please inform me how to use that function.
Thanks
Brick

I'm not Richard, but that won't shut me up.. ::) are you pushing it twice in rapid succession? If not (that is you're only pressing it once) then you are putting it in the "Say a command" mode. Mine says nothing in the ambient sound mode, it just gets loud with the noise around me. Another thing I've noticed, I think the ambient mic is in the USB port, so if you want to hear someone talking over all the other noise that is being amplified, have the little rubber cover at the USB port open (unless it's raining) and turn your head a little to the right so the port (on the left rear) is closer to the person speaking to you. Again two quick presses of the button on the bottom for ambient on, and then when ready, just one for off. (Gosh I hope Richard doesn't say I've got it all wrong, not that it would be something new for me.  :-[  )

Now while we wait for Richard to get here with the real answer, a little story.

I'm riding with my buddy and we've had our Sena 20s on bike to bike intercom all morning just jibber jabbing away. We stop for gas and the usual get the key out to open the tank, get the credit card out etc. stops both of us from conversation.  Per usual my buddy then rides from the pump over to a parking spot in front of the store and goes in. I've been quiet just waiting for him to return when I realize his visor is open and I can hear what's going on around him. I continue to quietly wait and hear him grunt and sigh struggling with velcro and this zipper and that zipper. Then I hear the flow and realize that he now has the situation firmly in hand when I say "I'm so glad that we are close enough to share these special intimate moments together. :like:" He busts out laughing and according to him scares the hell out of the two other guys in bathroom with him.  So let that be a lesson to you, put it in ambient mode when you go into the store.

Well, I thought it was funny.
Richard!..... save me :helpme:,...... I'm dying here. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:19:14 AM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:31:04 AM »
Marty,
I love it! I’ve been in the store and my buddy is talking to me and the clerk is talking to me at the same time. I answer my riding busy and the clerk looks at me like I’m crazy. So I try to explain that I’m on intercom with that rider out there and he won’t shut up.
Thanks and you are right I only have pushed it once.
Brick

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Richardrka

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks
Brick

Hi Brick buy ya a beer when I get there Sat afternoon. ;-)

The ambient button is on the bottom of the 20S, 30K series cradles

ONE tap "press and release" and the voice prompt says "Say a command" Then you say "What can I say?" and the voice prompt will tell you. My favs are "FM radio", Stereo Music"
Also so I would go to the app and turn off "Motion Sensor Sensitivity" so it does not accidentally engage at which time you and say in a normal voice "Cancel"

TWO taps "press and release twice" and nothing is said. BUT you can now hear out side sounds .... Like that cop that just asked you for our drivers license  ;-)

R

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Richard I’d take you up on the beer but I won’t be there until Sunday.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
At one point relatively early on this thread, Richard wrote:

3: The 30K gives you NO ADVANTAGE at all unless you have 3 or more riders it IS for groups of 3 to 16. The MESH NETWORK kicks in when the third, forth, and fifth etc. rider joins, Then the MESH nodes come into play.

Norm, have you ever used it with more than one other person (total of 3 or more)? If so, did it behave any better?

That line sort of sounds to me like "mesh is not intended for use by only 2 participants."

==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
At one point relatively early on this thread, Richard wrote:

3: The 30K gives you NO ADVANTAGE at all unless you have 3 or more riders it IS for groups of 3 to 16. The MESH NETWORK kicks in when the third, forth, and fifth etc. rider joins, Then the MESH nodes come into play.

Norm, have you ever used it with more than one other person (total of 3 or more)? If so, did it behave any better?

That line sort of sounds to me like "mesh is not intended for use by only 2 participants."

Maybe THAT's the problem. Jeff and I have not ridden with anyone else who has a 30K. OTOH, Don Moe has- he ridden in a group with about 8. He saud that it connected everyone but the intelligibility problems I reported are there regardless. Most of the time Jeff and I are about 500 ft apart, and mostly in sight of each other. A couple of times mesh private mode worked pretty well, comparable to 2 people in BT mode on the 20S. Maybe I'm stupid, but I expect provate mesh mode to sound as good and have comparable rabge as BT, and it has done so on the 3 or 4 occasions when it worked.  Here's a link to the 30K on Amazon. 50% give it 5 stars, the other 50% give it 1 star.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Communication-System-30K-01D/dp/B0773RH38Q/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524497194&sr=1-16&keywords=sena+30k

The 30K does not currently work for me and I'm better than average at getting things to work.

Norm