Main Forums > The Garage

BMW Motorrad USA Issues "Stop Sale" on the R1200GS

(1/3) > >>

donmoe:
Did you guys hear about the recall issue on '13-'17 BMW R1200GS(A) bikes?  Here's a link to a webpage with more detail. There has also been discussion on the BMWMOA.org and R1200GS.info forums.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/bmw-motorrad-usa-stop-sale-recall-bmw-r1200gs-adventure/

After putting 56K on my '15 GSA, I haven't yet seen any problem, but I'll be taking my bike in for the 6K service and inspection soon.

---  Don

HawkGTRider:
A fellow in the recent Iron Butt Rally crashed out only about 100 miles from me, so I retrieved his bike and brought it home while he made arrangements to get it later (he's actually coming with a trailer to pick it up tonight). He was contacted by BMW to stop riding the bike and bring it in for a recall shortly after he got home to go through the necessary surgery for fixing his broken shoulder blade. He didn't give me any details about the recall, but what you're talking about sounds like a good explanation.

donmoe:
On the BMW Safety Recall website, you can verify if your bike is recalled using the link below. However, it shows that my 2015 R1200GSA is not under recall. Perhaps the website database is not yet up-to-date.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/virtualcenter/index_recall.html

--- Don

STLTHMSTA:
From a technical aspect, I don't understand the "gap between the fork tube and the seal plug" description but there it is. I agree with the comments on the link that it's unfathomable that this could happen unnoticed. So is this a tele lever bike or have they switched this back to "conventional" forks as on some models?  TM

stevegrab:

--- Quote from: STLTHMSTA on July 21, 2017, 11:17:38 AM ---From a technical aspect, I don't understand the "gap between the fork tube and the seal plug" description but there it is. I agree with the comments on the link that it's unfathomable that this could happen unnoticed. So is this a tele lever bike or have they switched this back to "conventional" forks as on some models?  TM

--- End quote ---
Telever suspension on the R1200GS, which does use telescopic forks, difference appears (based on some online info) to be the forks only have oil, the springing and damping are done by the shock in the wishbone unit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version