Author Topic: STAR 2018 Full survey results  (Read 32029 times)

Offline hhemstreet

• Forum Member II
STAR 2018 Full survey results
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
All of the textual answers are in here:

http://www.hemko.com/star/surveyresults2018.pdf

The year by year comparison of STAR's (the last eight) are here:

http://www.hemko.com/star/star18surveystats.pdf

Harry

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: STAR 2018 Full survey results
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »
Of all the STAR's I've attended (12 over 20 years) Avon in 2012 was the only one I recall their being serious amounts of food at the welcome reception, enough that every member had their fill, and there was food left over. I wonder if that is the primary reason for the very high rating for that year's welcome reception. (The Subway in the Christie Lodge prepared [and donated?] a large number of sandwiches, so much that there was some left over the next day or two being offered to members around the hotel during the daytime.) They also had those cool cup cake displays, I know many people who had seconds (and there were still plenty.)

I'm usually resolved to getting little to nothing to eat at these, because there is not often a lot of food, and if you were not there in the first 15-20 minutes it was already picked clean.

This club loves their food, that's for sure ;) 
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
Oye, I have to say reading the text comments that some of these people don't want what STAR has always been, they want to make it into their style of event, be it
- make it longer, not enough time
- we don't need a fancy expensive hotel with a banquet room
- have it in September - STAR has been in June for decades, why change it now?

I will have to agree with the comments on the breakfast and the quality of the eggs, but right after this event I was at a work conference at a Marriott downtown Cleveland, and their eggs were just as bad. I just don't think you can make a large batch of eggs (maybe if from real not powdered eggs) and have them taste good as they sit in a warming tray for a period of time. I think the best breakfast I recall was in Taos 2010, with the southwest themed items and the chef (or other staff) there to help us, explain the sauces, etc. It is still great to be able to have that every morning, meet and catch up with other members, meet new members "may we join you?" and do some pre-ride planning.

I also see a recurring theme, well several actually but this one is big and heard this from a new member at the event as well. There are a lot of people looking for pre-planned, pre-organized rides led by somebody else, that they can simply join and have fun. I know that is the idea behind the ride boards, but we cannot force members to lead rides, and many are not comfortable leading a bunch of people they don't know (often on unfamiliar roads). Not sure how to cure this, but maybe help set new member/attendees expectations, so that they understand this is not how our rallies work. Not sure why they expect that, maybe other groups do their rallies like that, or they're accustomed to a poker run or other organized rides.

Set expectations, then people are not so disappointed.
Steve Grabowski

Offline hhemstreet

• Forum Member II
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
Steve - That was great welcome reception in Avon. If you remember they also had keg(s) of beer and you could have as much as you wanted. It was the prefect reception - as much as you could eat and as much beer as you could drink - all provided FREE by the Christy Lodge! Unfortunately - no other venue has ever been or ever will be - that generous.

I have been reading these comments for 8 years and, at first, I wanted to just chuck them all, throw up my hands and say forget about it! However, we have made several improvements to STAR based on the comments. You just have to ignore some of the nastier comments.

It looks (at least to me) like folks don't understand that STAR (and the club) is run totally by volunteers. These volunteers spend a huge amount of time and effort organizing and setting up STAR. We don't / can't predict what the breakfast will taste like, we can't sample the banquet dinner - we are totally at the mercy of the hotel. We could just eliminate breakfast altogether - think how that would go over!

The volunteers do the best they can, and usually it turns out great for the majority of attendees, but there are those who expect it to be perfect.  Of course, if you don't like the way things are going, the best advice is to volunteer! That way you can have a direct influence on how things are organized.

I could go on and on but, like I say, I have been reading and analyzing these for eight years and have come to really treasure the comments that are basically "Thanks for a great STAR".

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »
OK, I'm filtering through the comments now, and some are just ridiculous. One in particular about concealed carry to me was just not needed.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Online Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
I will just say that those that are directly involved with STAR planning and organizing really do pay attention to the comments, and really do try to anticipate everyone’s concerns and desires based on those comments. It does appear that the breakfast was negatively mentioned in many of the surveys, and I’m sure that will be addressed with next years hotel.  I’m very happy that there were so many positive comments and high ratings in so many areas.  Those few things that people found wrong?  If possible, they will be corrected in future events. It’s important to understand that something that one person may really dislike, another may truly like.  It’s important to understand that certain things are truly beyond the control of mere mortals. For example, the DMV does not consult the MSTA before beginning road construction or repair.  Sometimes these repairs start up after a route has been pre-ridden, inspected, and put out to the attendees.  Nothing anyone can do about thkings like that, but the organizers do try to anticipate those possibilities.  As Harry said...they are all just volunteers and their time and efforts are freely given, but are also sometimes limited by time and distance.  The BEST way to insure that ones concerns are addressed BEFORE any event is to offer to VOLUNTEER in the planning and organization of an event from the beginning.  Volunteers are ALWAYS WELCOME and always NEEDED.   ;D
not all that wander are lost

Offline Ride4MS

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:53:03 PM »
Well, let me say a few words, coming from someone that worked very hard to make this a great event, and not knowing where to start.  I have only been to 2 STAR's in the past, 2017 Ark and last year in Colorado Spr.  Then, to take on such a huge accomplishment, I never thought it was going to turn out as good as it did.

To do that, I looked at and copied and pasted many of the comments from 2017, onto a sheet, that people did not like, and hoped that we could change, and also looked at what they did like and hoped to improve those also.

It seemed to have worked, as there have been many great comments.  And some not so great, which are probably some of the people that can never be happy and always seem to look for fault.  But, they also will not step up to volunteer either.  Just my observation from being in many other organizations.

FYI, I told Harry last Fall that I came from a job that we had goals that many times were not achievable.  And, I said that my goal for STAR 2018 was to make it the best STAR ever, knowing that was probably impossible, but it was my goal.  It is pretty hard to do that when you have so many people that have had experience with STAR's in the past, and this is my first, but that is what I shot for.  It seems from many of the comments, in La Crosse and the surveys and such that we came close to that goal.

I want to thank the many long time members, such as Harry and Dianne and others that were there to answer questions and offer advice, and Dennis for convincing me to take on this task. Without their help, it would not have been as successful.

I was told a few months ago, that this club does not seem to thank people when a job is well done, and not to worry.  Well, I cannot count how many times in La Crosse people thanked us for the hard work and great STAR. It was amazing how often we heard such great words in La Crosse from people that I did not know, and still do not know many of their names.  But, it made me feel good when long time members thanked me and said it was a great STAR.

Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
I liked the comments for the most part. Yes some were unfair or simply ridiculous as pointed out. I agree with Harry’s comment 100% that some attendees simply don’t understand that this is a volunteer group and nobody gets paid. If there is a shortfall it’s more than likely not an oversight but is from the simple fact that no one has volunteered to handle that task. The more volunteers, the better the event. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:23:27 PM »
Carl it is sometimes a thankless job but you guys did an awesome job and some things are just beyond your control.  We've lost members after they have helped organize a STAR from the stress and comments from others.
I just wanted to take a moment to comment back on a few years ago not sure which STAR but it was back east some where when the breakfast was NOT included in the hotel price and the restaurant was not prepared and never for the entire week manage to get enough staff on site to be able to handle the morning traffic of folk that came in to order and PAY for a breakfast.  You went in knowing that it was going to be an hour or more to get a simple breakfast or you went somewhere else.
This year the first day I told them that I couldn't eat what they offered due to the seasonings and would it be too much trouble to just get a simple bowl of oatmeal and after the 2nd day they would smile at me and ask if I wanted my oatmeal :)   I know that a lot of folks would want something more substantial but that along with the juice and generally fruit or something else was always plenty for me to get me going. 
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:51 AM »
Denise - the "breakfast not included" STAR was probably in Staunton, VA at the Andrew Jackson hotel? 

Generally, too often people want to gripe about something without realizing that everyone is a volunteer.  And if you ask them to help they usually reply "Oh, no I'm here on vacation," without giving a thought to all the unpaid volunteers who also happen to be at STAR on vacation.  :-)

I thought it was a great STAR!   :trink39:

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
The breakfast was somewhat lacking, but the staff always helpful. Due to medications I need to keep my potassium up and do this by eating a banana daily. On the second morning I asked one of the staff if they had any,  and she came through. After that, I got my daily banana.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you don't speak up, how is anyone gonna know. I like the breakfast included option, as that sets my morning. I don't have to worry about going somewhere to get something, getting out of gear again, etc. etc. Walk to breakfast, gear up and go. Someone mentioned in those comments about wanting breakfast earlier. Not everyone lives farmer hours and is up before dawn.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Of the 25 stars I have attended this one is in my top 5 for sure. Great job by Carl and the other volunteers! I stay at 25 or 30 motel/hotel nights a year most have free breakfast and the Radisson's was as good as many if not most.
Way better than Super 8! Anyway, getting a local beer included in the lunch ride made up for any shortcoming in the brakfast!  :trink39:

Huge Thanks to all the volunteers and planners! :clap: :clap: :clap:
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
Harry,

Thank you for posting the survey results from STAR. I read all the comments and found some suggestions I'm going to try with Fly-By Week in August.

Norm Kern

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Harry I forgot about the free beer at that welcome reception, I must have had my share since I couldn't remember. Free and plentiful beer, food (including desert) is the recipe for a great welcome reception.
Steve Grabowski

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
Carl it is sometimes a thankless job but you guys did an awesome job and some things are just beyond your control.  We've lost members after they have helped organize a STAR from the stress and comments from others.
I just wanted to take a moment to comment back on a few years ago not sure which STAR but it was back east some where when the breakfast was NOT included in the hotel price and the restaurant was not prepared and never for the entire week manage to get enough staff on site to be able to handle the morning traffic of folk that came in to order and PAY for a breakfast.  You went in knowing that it was going to be an hour or more to get a simple breakfast or you went somewhere else.
This year the first day I told them that I couldn't eat what they offered due to the seasonings and would it be too much trouble to just get a simple bowl of oatmeal and after the 2nd day they would smile at me and ask if I wanted my oatmeal :)   I know that a lot of folks would want something more substantial but that along with the juice and generally fruit or something else was always plenty for me to get me going.
Denise Tosh may be right it was Staunton, I do recall going to one of the local coffee shops down the street for a light breakfast several mornings.

I also recall a bad experience in Charleston WV in 2003. They had a buffet breakfast, could not even get us silverware and beverages. They didn't even need to take our money or anything, just not prepared to deal with a crowd. After a couple days we just left, stopped somewhere for a quick bite (like McD) and told others who wanted a real breakfast to go eat before we left.
Steve Grabowski