Author Topic: 2017 Middlesboro, KY JFF ---- Rick's Ride  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
2017 Middlesboro, KY JFF ---- Rick's Ride
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »

The 2017 edition of the Middlesboro Just for Fun Event will be held in September, the weekend of the 15th-17th.

Once again we will be using the Holiday Inn Express, located on the main drag (Rt25) as the host hotel.  (606-248-6860)
The room rate is 98.00 plus tax per room.  They have set aside 15 rooms and will hold them until August 15, 2017.

Being as this is a JFF Event, there is no rally fee and each attendee will be responsible for contacting the hotel and securing their own room...just ask for the MSTA rate.
Hotel check-in time is 3pm and check out is 11am.
They have a FREE hot buffet breakfast, FREE Wifi, a fitness center, and a seasonal outdoor pool.

One note:  they have asked us to NOT park our bikes under the covered area in front of the entrance, but will be providing a marked off parking area which will be lighted and covered by their security system.

For those of you not familiar with this event or the area it will be held in, I offer the following information. 

Middlesboro is located at the exact point where Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky all meet.  This is the location of the famous Cumberland Gap and of course Cumberland Gap National Park is located only a couple of miles south of the host hotel.  It is a city/town of about 14,000 residents and is located 130 miles south of Lexington, KY., 75 miles north of Knoxville, TN., 100 miles to Johnson City and 125 miles to Ashville.  It is located completely within a prehistoric meteorite crater and as such is completely surrounded by hills and mountains.  There are several Kentucky and National Parks located close by.
Being a JFF Event, we do not provide route sheets, but I can assure you that there is excellent riding for hundreds of miles surrounding the area, no matter which direction to head out in. We have held STAR events in Lexington, KY., Johnson City, TN., and Asheville, NC., and you can access some of the routes from each of these events from the Middlesboro location. There is a pretty decent Mexican restaurant located within an easy walk of the hotel, along with other dining options within a little longer walk or ride. The small towns that you pass through during your riding will provide ample opportunities for lunch.

Hope to see everyone there!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: 2017 Middlesboro, KY JFF ---- Rick's Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
Bump.....reserved my room today!

Rooms only being held for another month....until August the 15th.  They include your breakfast buffet.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:36:25 AM by Patmo »

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
Hi Pat,

Have any riders done dual sport riding in the area and/or do any that plan to do so this year?

Thanks,

Fred Z.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »
Hi Pat,

Have any riders done dual sport riding in the area and/or do any that plan to do so this year?

Thanks,

Fred Z.

Fred....contact Galen Diehl about that.  I don't know of any DS riding in the area, but I'm sure there is.  I seem to remember that he said something about it either last year or the year before.
Pat

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:40:44 PM »
I've never ridden it but you might check out The Kentucky Adventure Tour. Its a large loop with some of it near Middlesboro, you could do an out and back or ride the tour out and hit pavement on the way back.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-kentucky-adventure-tour-kat.919224/
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
I've never ridden it but you might check out The Kentucky Adventure Tour. Its a large loop with some of it near Middlesboro, you could do an out and back or ride the tour out and hit pavement on the way back.

Fred, Pat and Landon,

Jim Randall and I rode the KAT the week before The MSTA Middlesboro JFF event, and arrived Saturday in Middlesboro while finishing the KAT loop.  There are KAT DS sections that could be ridden the weekend of MSTA Middlesboro event.
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:56 AM »

Fred, Pat and Landon,

Jim Randall and I rode the KAT the week before The MSTA Middlesboro JFF event, and arrived Saturday in Middlesboro while finishing the KAT loop.  There are KAT DS sections that could be ridden the weekend of MSTA Middlesboro event.

That sounds like a great idea, Galen.  I emailed the details to one of my riding buddies, MSTA member Chuck Mayfield to see if he would like to do the same as you and Jim did. If possible, we could leave the car and trailer at Middlesboro, ride the loop and end up back there for the event.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »
Anyone looking for a roomie for this gathering? I'm making some last minute ride plans and would like to end up there on Fri or Sat.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
Kudos to all for another excellent JFF. Perfect weather.  Great riding.  It was the first 2 days of a week long rideabout for me. Right now I'm stopped for gas in middle TN heading south. First road trip I've taken in a long time and I'm enjoying it.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure