Author Topic: New To Me Motorcycle Considerations  (Read 9006 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
New To Me Motorcycle Considerations
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »
Hey All, our recent trip to Star exposed some shortcomings with my CTX700. I've cured most of the ground clearance and other problems that bothered me about the bike, and the new Seth Lamm seat is killer comfortable. However, if your ride only has 50+ horsepower, and you loose 20% of that at high altitudes, it's kinda a bummer. I was looking for pedals to help the poor bike out a little! I don't have need for a great amount of power, and I can generally keep up with much more powerful bikes here in the relatively low country. How many more times will I need to worry about high altitudes in my lifetime, probably not a lot! Any excuse is valid to peruse a new bike though, as you know. Conventional wisdom about the most modern and prestigious bikes doesn't phase me at all. After all, we all know I can be scooter trash! All this said, I have an interest in the BMW f800gt, the Suzuki GSX 650f, and perhaps the Yamaha FZ6R. I'd also like to know who has any experience with these, as well as the older BMW 800ST. Please feed my information bank! Basically 75 to 90 HP, and 40 to60 ft. Lb. of torque is the target area. Please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance, Syd
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:52:01 PM by touringman »
Touringman

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: New Tœ Me Motorcycle Considerations
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
Honda CBR650F

Yamaha FZ or FJ 09

Suzuki GSX-F750

My FZ6 definitely lost some power at the higher altitudes in Colorado, but was still OK, but I don't think that the Fz6R has the same power, and it is heavier because of the full fairing.  But as you say, how often are we going to be riding at 8000+ feet?
not all that wander are lost

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline africord

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 50,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2002 VFR800
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Patmo has given you a good list of light-weight sporty mounts that could tour. I wasn't that familiar with the CTX700 so I checked the specs. The wheelbase is out in the same range as large STs and the seat height is in the same space as a lot of cruisers, which explains the ground clearance problem. Given your lifetime mileage, I'm guessing you are looking for a bike that is lighter weight. Two bikes that will stretch your envelope of choices, and perhaps be eliminated for other reasons, would be the VStrom 650 and the Indian Scout 60. The Scout will have clearance issues, high fuel consumption (compared to the CTX), and a bit more weight. The seat is significantly taller on the VStrom. Both are in the weight and power range of the bikes you are considering. My personal ride, a 2002 VFR800 is about 100 pounds heavier than the CTX and more power than your target.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
Thanks Pat, Galen, and Africord for your replies! Your suggestions are on target Pat, and there are a couple of suggestions I hadn't thought of. The reasons the GSX650f appeals to me are the 85 horsepower, reasonable torque, and a 30.3 inch seat height, not to mention the reasonable price. The V-Strom is one of the best bikes on the planet as far as I'm concerned. I owned an '06and a 2012. They were both great, but taller and top heavy. Did I mention the 30.3 inch seat height of the GSX650F? The CTX700that I own has undergone a lot of customization in the corner clearance, and now offers great comfort and sufficient clearance. I can live with the power usually, and may get over this now that I'm back down to earth! Anybody know where I can find a turbo for the CTX? Galen, are you trying to totally relegate me to scooter trash?😄 You know I already have two. Thanks for the input, Syd
Touringman

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
With my 45hp '07 BMW F650GS (thumper), on two occasions during STAR I had the experience of rolling on the throttle all the way to the stop without having much, if anything, happen. But the rest of the truth is that it was ok even at that. I've gotten used to sub-50hp bikes, and that's what you'll find dominating my garage. They've taken me all over the country including one year in the Iron Butt Rally, a bunch of STARs and other HSTA/MSTA events, and tons of day to day riding.

If we'd all concentrate on being better riders of the small(ish) bikes in our garages, we'd find we don't need all that silly wasted hp that most of the time never gets used. That's just my opinion.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Colorado Rob

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Superhawk 2005 Suzuki DR650 KTM 200 XC/W
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:13 AM »
Syd-if you liked the VStrom, but it was a little bit tall and heavy, how about one of the new Suzuki SV650 standards.....lighter, lower seat height, same great motor. A 90 degree L-twin is a sweet motor-lots of mid-range and it makes beautiful music too. Just ask the guy who owns one. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I plan on doing a lot of riding above 8,000 ft. :)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »

.......we don't need all that silly wasted hp

Blasphemy!   Mother of Blessed Acceleration please forgive him!

🙏🏁😄
not all that wander are lost

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
Thanks Pat, Galen, and Africord for your replies! Your suggestions are on target Pat, and there are a couple of suggestions I hadn't thought of. The reasons the GSX650f appeals to me are the 85 horsepower, reasonable torque, and a 30.3 inch seat height, not to mention the reasonable price. The V-Strom is one of the best bikes on the planet as far as I'm concerned. I owned an '06and a 2012. They were both great, but taller and top heavy. Did I mention the 30.3 inch seat height of the GSX650F? The CTX700that I own has undergone a lot of customization in the corner clearance, and now offers great comfort and sufficient clearance. I can live with the power usually, and may get over this now that I'm back down to earth! Anybody know where I can find a turbo for the CTX? Galen, are you trying to totally relegate me to scooter trash?😄 You know I already have two. Thanks for the input, Syd

On Scooters-love you Syd!  I know how much you love your scooters and threw that in for consideration.

Syd, probably 99% of the time your CTX700 serves your needs very well and probably love it.  But riding in high altitudes with other riders at a spirited pace, got you thinking and longing for another bike. 

But now back home and 99% of the time you will be happy with your CTX700.
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »
With my 45hp '07 BMW F650GS (thumper), on two occasions during STAR I had the experience of rolling on the throttle all the way to the stop without having much, if anything, happen. But the rest of the truth is that it was ok even at that. I've gotten used to sub-50hp bikes, and that's what you'll find dominating my garage. They've taken me all over the country including one year in the Iron Butt Rally, a bunch of STARs and other HSTA/MSTA events, and tons of day to day riding.

If we'd all concentrate on being better riders of the small(ish) bikes in our garages, we'd find we don't need all that silly wasted hp that most of the time never gets used. That's just my opinion.
I agree we don't all need 200HP superbikes or would be able to use that power, but sub 50HP bikes? No thanks...my first bike (98 Suzuki Bandit 600) had about 80HP, next bike was a CBR600F4, with about 90. Of my stable now the Ninja 650R is the lowest with about 70 HP. The VFR and Sprint are both around 100HP.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
Another vote here for the SV650 or if you can stand the garish paint job, the Gladius. You already know you love the motor in the DL650 - the SV adds another thousand rpm to top of the power band without giving up any of the sweet roll-on roll-off torque.  And it lops off about 100lbs of weight. A little wondscreen, a decent seat, some bar risers and maybe peg relocation (if desired) and you have a very capable sub 400lb sport tourer. We had 2 at one time (we have owned 4 total) and I loved the motor but at  6'2" the cockpit was a little tight so that I replaced mine with a DL650 for the larger ergos. But that was my only complaint. Great bike!

Some will say old-school.  I say there's nothing wrong with old-school if it does the job for you.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Colorado Rob

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Superhawk 2005 Suzuki DR650 KTM 200 XC/W
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
And no need to tolerate the hideous Gladius styling anymore-the new SV650's look just like the old ones.....just a nice standard motorcycle.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:53:34 PM »

.......we don't need all that silly wasted hp

Blasphemy!   Mother of Blessed Acceleration please forgive him!

🙏🏁😄

Please forgive me...I'm so embarrassed.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
Thanks guys, and, much as I hate to admit it, Galen is probably right. I owned a 1999 blue SV back in the day, and enjoyed riding it immensely. That said, I enjoyed it most as strictly a mountain or curvy road bike. I didn't think about touring on it. My ride has to get me wherever I'm going in comfort, as well as hang with guys like Norm and Doug when we get there. I love the SV, but it's possible the GSX650F would be a measurably better bike to tour on. I went to bikez.com to compare the CTX with the SV, and I will try to print the results below. At the bottom you will see which color represents which bikes. This is admittedly a thin survey, as there were only three reviews listed for each bike so far, but I was somewhat surprised by the results. I'm at my legal limit in terms of bike numbers, so maybe I should sell a scooter, keep the CTX, and buy a gsx650f? ??? :-\

Bikez.com Motorcycle Catalog        SPECS · PICS · REVIEWS · RATING          <ins><ins></ins></ins>   
2016 Suzuki SV650 rating 2016 Suzuki SV650 rating
 Engine performance, reliability, maintenance costs, etc. rated by riders
2016 Suzuki SV650
2016 Suzuki SV650 rated as  60.4 out of 100.0  based on 3 ratings. Picture credits - Suzuki
2016 Suzuki SV650 [/t][/t][/c]
Discuss this bike

Such bikes for sale
 Sell this motorcycle
 Market value

Rate this bike
 Bike specifications
 Tip a friend
 List related bikes

Below is the riders' rating of the 2016 Suzuki SV650 motorcycle. Buying a bike begins at Bikez! Compare the strengths and weaknesses of this bike with others before you decide on your future bike. Do you have an opinion about the engine performance, reliablity, racing capabilities, touring capabilities, repair and maintenance cost, accident risk, etc? Your fellow riders will value your rating of this bike. We also use the ratings to list the Riders' motorcycle of the year. This motorbike has been rated by 3 persons.

Rating
Overall rating:
(Details below)[/t][/t]
Rating 60.4
 Rating 67.9
 Rating 64.2
 Rating 61.2
<ins><ins><ins></ins></ins></ins>
[/t]
Detailed ratingRating scale
Engine performance:[/t]
Rating 67.6
 Rating 73.3
 Rating 68.5
 Rating 64.5
Reliability and problem-free driving:[/t]
Rating 71.0
 Rating 79.9
 Rating 68.7
 Rating 64.6
Fun-factor:[/t]
Rating 71.0
 Rating 73.3
 Rating 71.0
 Rating 66.8
Value for money:[/t]
Rating 67.6
 Rating 83.2
 Rating 67.4
 Rating 63.6
Repair and maintenance costs:[/t]
Rating 50.5
 Rating 76.6
 Rating 60.5
 Rating 58.4
Design and look:[/t]
Rating 71.0
 Rating 70.0
 Rating 70.6
 Rating 66.2
Offroad capabilities:[/t]
Rating 30.1
 Rating 40.0
 Rating 47.7
 Rating 51.1
Racing track capabilities:[/t]
Rating 50.5
 Rating 43.3
 Rating 59.4
 Rating 55.0
Touring capabilities:[/t]
Rating 50.6
 Rating 73.3
 Rating 63.0
 Rating 60.0
Low accident risk:
(excellent=low risk)[/t]
Rating 74.4
 Rating 66.6
 Rating 65.2
 Rating 61.7
Bar explanationRating 2016 Suzuki SV650
Rating 2016 Honda CTX700D
Rating Average for naked bikes
Rating Average for all bikes

Compare motorcycles Compare Suzuki SV650 to other motorcycles
Compare the 16 Suzuki SV650 motorcycle with other bikes' rating. Specify year, make and model name. You get a list of models with sufficient votes if you select the year and the brand only and click the "Compare rating"-button.
Bike to compare with:
<ins><ins></ins></ins>
                  Aprilia     BMW     Ducati     Harley-Davidson     Honda     Kawasaki     KTM     Moto Guzzi     Suzuki     Triumph     Ural     Yamaha

Copyright © 1999-2017 by Bikez.com a.s. This web uses cookies.
 About Bikez. Advertise products. Contact Bikez.com. Privacy policy. Motorcycle catalogue and Motorcycle classifieds       [/color]
Touringman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
The chart didn't transfer very well, but you can still see what it's saying if you look closely. The SV is red, and the CTX is the blue. The headers of the categories are very faint, but I hope you can distinguish them. Overall, it looks like the CTX is probably a better bike for my purposes. Syd
Touringman