Author Topic: Road Test Quick Look - 2014 Indian Chieftain  (Read 2272 times)

VersysRider

Road Test Quick Look - 2014 Indian Chieftain
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
Nick Zarras | Managing Editor

The Indian Chief was considered by many to be the most sought after cruiser in 1948. Over the years the Indian brand underwent owner changes. Polaris Industries Inc. purchased this iconic brand and created a new clean slate motorcycle incorporating cutting edge technologies, but kept the Indian Motorcycle founder design that was iconic since 1901. The new Indian brand home is in Spirit Lake, Iowa and this is a new chapter in the Indian motorcycle history.

In prior Indian startups the motorcycle components were off the shelf. Polaris in just over two years redesigned and fielded the new Indian line with a state of the art technology base. They started with a new engine, their Thunder Stroke 111 which powers their whole line. It retains a lot of the style of the original but this air-cooled 49 degree V-twin delivers 119.2 ft-lbs of torque and has an optional performance upgrade which hauls. The cooling fins around the cylinders are well engineered with almost no heat at idle, and none through my suit once riding. The heat gauge reading registered an impressive low value at the fin level.

The Indian Chieftain is their top of the line model. While it retains much of the classic Indian style along with the original Indian lighted front fender emblem, it has an impressive list of high tech accessories. The bike comes with a FOB. To start it you hit the button on top of the gas tank. Then you close the kill switch and just touch the start button. An alternate procedure is to hit start button twice. To shut down the bike just hit the kill switch and then the black button on the tank or just the black button on the tank. Remember to put the FOB in a safe place on your person. The headlight will stay on to illuminate your way inside your home, then shut off automatically.

While the other Indian models have their data LCD on the gas tank, the Chieftain houses it on the front console in an LCD placed between the tachometer and the speedometer. It is a full function unit that can also display GPS information. Each screen shows clock time, temperature, radio control, fuel range, total miles and gear indicator. A center portion of the LCD display changes with each function. Trip 1 screen shows Trip 1 distance and time. Trip 2 substitutes Trip 2 distance and time. The tire pressure screen replaces Trip information with both tire pressures. The battery status screen displays average speed and battery voltage. The mileage screen provides instant, and average MPG. There is a maintenance screen that informs you to performed scheduled tasks. Controls to actuate the LCD data display are on the left handle grip switch array. The Indian Chieftain also has a full function cruise control on the right handle grip switch array. The Chieftain has a full radio package with iPod interface. The iPod is housed in a compartment in the front fairing just forward of the right grip. The radio controls are on the left handle grip switch array. The controls for the electric windscreen are also housed there.

Over the two-day period that I rode the Chieftain the one thing that kept repeating in my head was the refinement of the engineering design. The fit and finish and actuation of all the controls, clutch feel and shift integration, power delivery, handling and ride kept impressing me. On the road the Chieftain’s 119 ft-lb torque at 3100 rpms, with 75% available at 1000 rpms provided real world passing power. Its 25 degree of rake and 5.9 in. trail on a 65.7 in. wheelbase made it feel very stable yet lighter than its 815 pounds would suggest. I was able to thread through traffic more easily than with a normal cruiser. The bike decelerated without the normal heavy compression feel. The Chieftain handled more like a touring bike vs. a cruiser from parking lot speeds through the highway speeds encountered. The brakes were linear and strong with transparent anti-lock brakes. The cruise control worked as advertised at highway speeds. The adjustable power windshield, and large fairing provided turbulence free wind protection; the best of the product line. The two auxiliary driving lights provided additional highlighting and night illumination. The Chieftain has easy to operate lockable, top loading hard case bags for your long distance excursions.

The excellent seat comfort, refined V-Twin feel and smooth highway ride added to the feeling that this is designed to be a satisfying long distance cruiser.

Don’t pass a chance to test the new 2014 Indian Chieftain motorcycle. It has all the classic styling people have been waiting for yet is engineered with all high tech features, great comfort, power and most of all an impressive refinement. My thanks to Polaris Industries (phone: 1-800-polaris, web: www.indianmotorcycles.com) and the A-Team staff for this opportunity (4020 Boulder Highway, Las Vegas, Nevada 89121, phone: 702.440.6377, http://www.ATeamMotorcycles.com).

Ride Safe my friend...Clear skies, clear roads....