Author Topic: Member Profile - Judi Rowe  (Read 1575 times)

VersysRider

Member Profile - Judi Rowe
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
Hometown/State? As an Air Force brat I’ve had the good fortune to live all over the country. I was born in Great Falls, Montana and have lived the majority of my life in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

What was your first motorcycle? My first bike was a 1970 “something” Suzuki DR100.

Current motorcycles? 2012 Suzuki GSX-R750 and 2004 Yamaha WR250F.

What is your all-time favorite motorcycle? I’ve never owned one but have always wanted to… a 1989 Honda GB500. I fell in love with this retro café racer when I lived in Colorado Springs and worked behind the parts counter at Motor City Yamaha. I had a customer that rode one in every now and again and I would always go outside and admire it. He came in on my last day there, and as always, I immediately headed to go out and drool over it. Just before reaching the front door, he said “Hey!” I turned around just as he tossed me his key and said, “take it for a spin.” I couldn’t believe it! What a great bike!

How long have you been riding? I started riding dirt bikes in 1982 and raced motocross and cross-country for about 10 years. I bought my first street bike in 1986.

When did you join the MSTA? I joined the club at the 2012 Texas Hill Country Rally.

How did you hear about the MSTA? I was recruited by my boyfriend, Bob Jameson, almost immediately after we started dating. He talked about all the great people he had met as a result of his membership and about the great experiences he has had and I
couldn’t resist.

Who or what was your biggest influence in motorcycling? My ex-husband of all people! If he hadn’t brought that DR100 home for me, I would have never started riding. He was a great teacher and showed me so much about riding smart as well as how to take good care of my bike.

What are your favorite places to ride? One of my favorite places has to be East Texas - there are some great curves south of Canton heading to Martin’s Mill, Ben Wheeler and Edom. FM415 south to Palestine is a beautiful road. Another favorite is the Texas Hill Country… that stretch between Leakey and Vanderpool and then an intense 5 mile section of sweepers on State Highway 55 about ten miles outside of Camp Wood is pretty hard to beat!

A memorable motorcycle adventure? The first one that comes to mind is the Eldon Rix Off-Road Silverton trip we took this summer. Six full days of breath-taking mountain passes on rugged 4x4 jeep trails, riding a great motorcycle with the best group of people anyone could hope to ride with… pretty memorable!

Best motorcycle advice or tip learned through the years? The best road advice I received was to do everything I possibly could to be seen, especially approaching intersections or side-streets where cars are waiting for traffic to clear before pulling out or turning left. I was taught to weave side to side to make my headlight more eye-catching instead of just being a steady single spot of light. Sort of like directing traffic with a flashlight… you never see those guys holding the light in one place, they are always moving it around to catch your attention.

What turns you on about motorcycles or riding? Everything! I love the look of the bikes and the riding gear, the sound of the engine and feel of the power pulling against my hands. Heck, I even like the smell! I loved being a corner worker at the Grand Prix of the Americas this year and have been trying to figure out how to make a candle for my house that smells like racing fuel exhaust.

What do you get out of your MSTA membership? I have gained the best motorcycling experiences of my life in my first yearn of membership. The people I have met and the rides I have been on have truly been remarkable. I love telling people about MSTA!

What are your hobbies and interests outside of motorcycling? What else is there? Since I ride both dirt and street bikes, when I’m not riding, I really enjoy all the maintenance that goes along with it and learning how to do as much of it as I can myself. Other things I enjoy include improving my yard and landscaping. I have recently started playing tennis again. When the weather keeps me indoors, I enjoy spending time in the kitchen.