Author Topic: CTX is Totaled  (Read 10505 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: CTX is Totaled
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
Thank you for your input Jim. You guys have moved the X higher on my list, and there are some good deals out there now. :D
Touringman

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
Thanks Steve and Wardie. I agree with you Steve, but. at this point, I don't think I want them to find it, and try to force it back on me. There's been too much time elapsed, and too many chances for it to have been abused. Not only have the police not caught anyone, but they still haven't provided a report for the insurance company. They're holding up the claim.

Wait, the police have yet to provide a report for the insurance company? I'd call my local city councilman (or whatever rep you have) and raise hell. The police dept is holding up your ability to be made whole after someone stole your property. That just ain't right. Hope to see you at FCR.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:55:13 AM by RichGrab »
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
Thanks Steve and Wardie. I agree with you Steve, but. at this point, I don't think I want them to find it, and try to force it back on me. There's been too much time elapsed, and too many chances for it to have been abused. Not only have the police not caught anyone, but they still haven't provided a report for the insurance company. They're holding up the claim.

I have been considering almost every bike under the sun Wardie, and the CB500x is on the list. The CTX700 had gobs of low end torque in just the right place for pulling out of corners, and merging with traffic. I just don't know if the 500 can compete with that. I'm not in a huge rush. The search for the right bike, and the right deal are ongoing. :D
Curious, have you talked to your insurance about this? Can they make a claim then subroggate the dealer to collect the rest?  Like when you're in an accident with somebody else clearly at fault. That could be key if you're looking to move on buying another bike and need those funds.
Sucks that the police have not even provided a report for insurance. Last accident I was in I was able to get access to it online the next day, same for my insurance company. What is the hold up? And why isn't the dealer pushing for a quick resolution that is an inconvenience to you.
I agree on not wanting the scooter back in who knows what condition.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
That scooter may very well not be something Syd wants back due to its likely of having being trashed. But I seem to recall him talking about having looked for that specific model for some time. It had some specific features that he wanted (removable bags and more) that made it somewhat unique. It won't be easily replaced.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:08:34 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
Ok now I'm warning you, I might have to get up, and mix another drink in the middle of this, but here's "the rest of the story" on the accident portion of my equation. My insurance was with Allstate on this bike. The adjuster was a real human being, and we hit it off from the first phone conversation. The dealer estimate to repair my bike was over $6000, so I naturally assumed he was going to total it. I received a check for $5200+ for the bike, which is a pretty fair assessment. After a little exploring and thought, I decided I wouldn't be heartbroken to own another CTX. I called him, and asked if I might make a deal to buy my seat, and a few other items back. To my absolute shock, he said I could do anything I wanted with it, because it was still my bike!! Turns out, he didn't total the bike after all, and he was paying me to repair it!! He released the bike to me, and it's now back in my garage. This means that I still own the$1500 to$2000 worth of extras I'd done to the bike, and I have a restoration project to keep me occupied this coming winter. I am still in a state of shock, and obviously pretty happy. The title is still clear, but I will divulge the entire background of the old bike, and ask for a signed statement if I sell it. So, I'm looking for a 2014-2017 CTX700D-DCT in red or white. They are scarce around this part of the country, as they have seemed to gain popularity in recent times. It must have the DCT tranny's, because I've fallen in love with that! If you see one, please let me know!

In terms of the scooter theft, there will be no settlement for at least 30 days since it was stolen. That means around the 23rd of this month. Syd :trink39: Syd

Touringman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
By the way, God is good all the time-all the time, Good is good!! :D
Touringman

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 05:01:41 AM »
Wow...you got the money + the bike!  If it was never totalled, I would assume your title remains as-is and wasn't converted to what we call a "salvage title."   :)

For whatever reason, the DCT seems to elicit a love or hate relationship.  Perhaps too many riders think it's not manly to ride a 2-wheeler with "automatic"? 

Those on the hate side mostly voice displeasure with upshifts at what seems to be an absurdly low RPM and also doesn't downshift to 1st gear until you almost come to a stop.  This is in D which is the full automatic mode.  The engine doesn't seem to care that it's upshifting at 2000 rpm so I've decided that it's OK and the same goes for downshifting when coming to a stop.  The one personal change I've made is to downshift manually before a turn such as in a town environment so I can start accelerating out of the turn in 3rd and not 5th, which requires two downshift before it starts to upshift - too many shifts in too short a span.   

In D, you can do whatever you want with the shift paddles and the shifts are instantaneous and smooth.  I've only ridden it once or twice in S (sport) which means it upshifts at 3000 rpm and am perfectly happy with D.   :trink39: 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:14:42 AM by DirtFlier »

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
In my experience, I found that I leave it in sport mode the vast majority of the time. It's definitely my choice for riding in cities and other slow speed traffic situations. D lugs the engine unmercifully in slow traffic situations. I believe D is engineered to give you that optimal fuel mileage that's advertised. In the twisties, sport mode is definitely the way to go! I leave it in sport, and toggle the paddle switches when needed.
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
I've only had a vehicle totalled once, and it was very clear from an early point that was the case. I was dealing with an adjuster (on the phone from State Farm) who was in the total loss division. Even when some last minute changes were made to the vehicle value (based on extras and condition) and I was afraid that pushed it too high for total (usually some portion of vehicle value, have heard 75% but don't know) and was told "nope that's why you're dealing with total loss division". Also before you can receive a check for a totalled vehicle I was required to sign the title over to the insurance company, something I did at my agents office (or I would have to send in the title and wait for the check).

Now as to your bike and the extras, I'd think you have the right to them if the original equipment can be replaced (for example a custom seat, if it was a replacement and you have the original). Not really any different from wanting to get any other personal belongings from the vehicle. (Mine was taken to the repair shop, didn't consider it may be totaled and while I removed many personal items some others were still in the car which I cleaned out before it was picked up for transport to salvage buyer).

God is good no doubt your faith is helping you take this all so well.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
Great news Syd. Glad it worked out for you all for the better it seems. Winter projects if you have the space can be fun. Enjoy, and good luck on the search for bike.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
Thanks guys! I've never entered a claim on a motorcycle before, but I suspect that the adjuster did me a huge favor here. He didn't total my bike as I had first thought, and his payment to me was based on the repair estimate. In other words, he was paying to repair the bike, even though the repair estimate was about 100% of the value. I'm told that anything above 75% is generally considered totaled. I guess totaling a vehicle is a pain in the butt for an adjuster and the insurance company, so it's possible he took the easy way out. I'm in his debt, because he was under no obligation to give my bike back to me.😁
Touringman

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
Good deal Syd. But, since the insurance company didn't total the bike, YES they were obligated to give you the bike. I think they did you a real solid on not totaling it. When I dumped by VFR (county road crew "fixed" a pot hole with gravel, but neglected to put any warning signs up) the first call I got was from total loss unit. When I told them about all the extras on the bike, and provided internet information on the value of the upgrades, plus the low mileage for age etc. they worked with me and didn't total the bike.  8) :trink39:
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
The Farm Bureau adjuster who totaled my 08 Concours was quite fair as well but the first thing he told me was that Louisiana law mandates that a vehicle be totaled if repair is 75% of value. They paid me full retail on a bike with 170,000 miles. The adjuster offered to sell it back to me for 2000 but the main cast aluminum frame was broken so I did not want it! I was able to find an ABS 08 with 50,000 in much better shape than mine for half of what they paid me.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
Thanks Landon, and that's very close to the way mine was accessorized. I've found a 2017 pretty much like this one at a dealership in Winston Salem, NC. They gave me an extraordinary deal on the bike, and the local dealers couldn't, or wouldn't, touch it. My daughter, Amy, is going to ride down with me Tuesday morning to pick it up 😀. I've already been taking parts off the old one to transfer over. I also had a good friend, one time professional dirt track tuner, and now AMA compliance inspector for all kinds of racing look the old one over closely. It's his opinion that it can be restored without a lot of expense. Winter project! Meanwhile, the scooter has been found. I got a call from the dealer yesterday, and the police found it in Henrico Co., while arresting a guy for other thefts. I'll get to ride over to Richmond tomorrow, and take a look at it. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want it back at this point. Syd☺
Touringman