Author Topic: Road Test Quick Look - 2014 Indian Chief and Vintage  (Read 2460 times)

VersysRider

Road Test Quick Look - 2014 Indian Chief and Vintage
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
By Nick Zarras, Managing Editor

In 1948 the Indian Chief was the king of style in American cruisers. But over the years the business side was unkind to this classic American motorcycle. Polaris Industries Inc. bought this iconic brand and created a new motorcycle with cutting edge technologies yet kept the Indian Motorcycle design philosophy that started in 1901. The new Indian brand home is in Spirit Lake, Iowa and this is history in the making.

In the previous Indian startups the motorcycle technologies used were not state of the art. Polaris decided to start with a whole new engine—their Thunder Stroke 111. It retains a lot of the style of the original but this air-cooled, 49 degree V-twin delivers 119.2 ft-lbs of torque and has an optional performance upgrade which hauls. The engine fin design is excellent. I felt no heat through my AEROstitch Stealth Roadcrafter suit at idle or while riding.

The Indian Chief Classic and Vintage models have the same mechanical parts but differ in style. The Classic has a stitched black leather seat, and the Vintage has the needle-stitched cowhide seat and quick-release fringe saddlebags and a quick-release windshield. There is the basic windshield and one that is four inches taller. There is a long list of personalized options for each model that includes exhaust pipe upgrades. Each has the classic Indian lighted front fender emblem. It is very much the old-school style Indian design, but that is where it stops.

The bike comes with a FOB. To start it you hit the button on top of the gas tank. Then you close the kill switch and just touch the start button. An alternative procedure is to hit the start button twice. To shut down the bike just hit the engine stop/run switch and then the black button on the tank or just the black button on the tank. Keep the FOB secured to your outfit. On the gas tank is the speedometer/data display showing ambient air temperature, voltage, gear position, average fuel mileage and range, total and trip 1 & 2 odometers, clock, engine rpms, cruise control and standard dash indicator lights. The data switch is on the left handgrip array. Fuel is a separate gage on the tank.

Over the two-day period that I rode the bikes, the one thing that kept repeating in my head was how refined the engineering is. The actuation of all the controls, clutch feel and shift integration, power delivery, handling and ride kept impressing me. Fit and finish is first rate. The seat comfort was excellent for my body style. On the road each model had a lot of power, and for a 778 pound Classic or 801 pound Vintage, maneuvered very well in heavy traffic. The brakes were linear and strong with transparent anti-lock brakes. The windshield provided acceptable wind protection, but on this hot day I liked the naked version the best. The large center light pod with two auxiliary driving lights provided reasonable wind blast protection at the 65 mph highway speed. Coming back maneuvering through the pylons at low speed I was impressed with its light low speed handling.

If you get a chance to test the new Indian motorcycles jump at the opportunity. They have great styling, comfort, lots of power and a refinement that will impress you. My thanks to Polaris Industries (1-800-polaris, www.indianmotorcycles.com) and the A-Team staff for this opportunity (4020 Boulder Highway, Las Vegas, Nevada 89121, www.ATeamMotorcycles.com,702.440.6377).

As for the Indian Chieftain review, stay tuned to this station...

Ride Safe my friend..
Clear skies, clear roads....