Author Topic: Sweet Rides - 2008 Ducati S4Rs Monster TriColore  (Read 2439 times)

VersysRider

Sweet Rides - 2008 Ducati S4Rs Monster TriColore
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
By Mike Jundt | Contributing Editor

Ducati has a fan following like no other brand, with the exception of Harley Davidson. Their fans are passionate about the brand and there has always been a mystique about the bikes because of some of the unique features they have brought to the market over the years, their trademark being the 90 degree “L” twin with the Desmodromic valve train. I had previously owned a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S but started paring down my bike collection a couple of years ago and had sold the Streetfighter. I had an Aprilia Tuono Factory when I saw this bike for sale in Cedar Rapids, IA. It was a one owner and only had 900 miles on it and I just had to buy it.

The 2008 S4Rs Monster was the last of the liquid cooled Monsters built on the original frame. The Monster started in 1993, designed by Miguel Galuzzi. It took some convincing of Ducati management to build it, but they finally gave in but only if the costs were kept low. Thus the Monster was born, a parts bin special to keep down costs. The engine and forward half of the frame came from the 900 Supersport, which itself was based on the 851 Superbike. The first three models used air/oil cooled motors and had displacements of 600, 750 and 900 cc’s. In 2001 Ducati introduced the S4, which was a liquid cooled monster with the engine from the then current Superbike. In 2005 they introduced the S4Rs, which used the 999 Superbike Testastretta motor, had Ohlins suspension front and rear, and included Brembo radial brakes on the front.

The 2008 S4Rs was the last of the original Monster line so Ducati sent it out in style. It had a tri-color paint job, using the colors of the Italian flag. It has the standard “S” model parts, with Ohlins suspension, Marchesini forged wheels and carbon fiber belt covers. Each one sold in the US was numbered and only 400 were built for the US market. Mine is #35 of 400 (there is a plate on the alternator cover with the number). It features analog-style electronic gauges with digital readouts for engine temperature, odometer, trip meter and clock.

Firing the bike up is different from starting most bikes. The starter features a servo mechanism so all you have to do is push and release the starter button and the engine will turn over on its own and fire up by itself. Like most Ducati’s the engine turns over slowly, making it seem like your battery is dead. This is due to the fact that the big twin does not have a compression release mechanism like most big twins do. Once it starts it settles into a nice, even idle. Shift it into gear, let out the clutch and you’re off. The Testastretta motor has a smooth torque curve as most big twins do and the Monster doesn’t disappoint. Running up through the gears is a breeze on this bike and the shifts are buttery smooth. One thing Ducati’s have always been known for are their gearboxes, they are some of the best shifting bikes I’ve ever owned. The bike pulls hard as you’re running up through the gears but also has good roll on power in almost any gear, a testament to the 130 HP L twin Testastretta engine. My bike has an Akrapovic silencer and with the baffles out sounds amazing. The Ducati twins have a sound like no other. It also has the traditional clutch rattle, owing that to the dry clutch that most Ducati’s used to use. There are no Ducati’s built anymore with dry clutches.

Once on the road, leaning into curves is a snap. The Monster sets easily into a curve and tracks very well throughout the curve. The bike does not come with a steering stabilizer and it could use one because when you start pressing it hard in curves it can be a little loose in the front. You start tip in and then at a certain point, the bike really likes to lean in. Once you’re set on your lean angle and going around the corner it tracks very well and doesn’t need any adjustments. Picking it up out of the corner is very easy, requiring little effort as the bike is fairly lightweight, a little over 400 pounds dry.

The Ohlins suspension works excellent once dialed in and the Monster can be a real track weapon, as long as you don’t have long straights and high speeds, such as the front straight at Miller Motorsports Park. The lack of wind protection keeps your speeds down, but the bikini fairing on the headlight does do a good job of keeping air off of your chest. The bike has a tendency to run hot in traffic on hot days. It has two cooling fans but only one activates initially with the other kicking in as the coolant temp rises. It would work better if they both just kicked in at the same time

The Monster is a comfortable bike to ride, but a little short on legroom for those over six feet tall. One modification I made was to install some Buell foot pegs, which gave me an extra inch of legroom. It doesn’t sound like much but makes a world of difference. I also installed handlebar risers which bring the handlebars up an inch, again doesn’t sound like much but makes a world of difference.

The Monster has those 5 key design elements that make a Ducati a Ducati. It has a dry clutch, L twin motor, Desmodromic valves, tubular lattice frame and a single sided swingarm. These features are starting to disappear on newer Ducati’s and will eventually be gone, making these Ducati’s instant classics. As the last of the traditional Monsters, the 2008 S4Rs TriColore became a classic the second it was built. Many dealers got MSRP or higher for them and they still retain excellent resale value, even though their maintenance requirements are higher than most motorcycles. Timing belt changes are every 2 years or 6500 miles, whichever comes first. Valve adjustment checks are also on the same schedule but most can go 15,000 miles without needing adjustment.