Author Topic: Safety Strategies - Environmental Analysis  (Read 1377 times)

VersysRider

Safety Strategies - Environmental Analysis
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Ultimately, the safety of motorcycle riders and their passengers is their own responsibility. Nothing presented in the column supersedes, negates or relieves a motorcyclist and/or passenger from assumption of personal responsibility for their actions and safety.

Doug Westly | Safety Editor

I was rounding a corner of one of my favorite back roads the other day and had an epiphany. Actually I hit an unexpected patch of sand in the corner, so the epiphany almost filled my riding briefs. Big kudos to the Ducati Safety Pack system on my Hypermotard SP! The traction control activated and between that and some instinctive rider input I managed to survive the corner. However, the event really threw me, so I stopped, turned around and went back to analyze how I got caught up in that situation. What I found was that inside the pavement, in the middle of that turn was a small patch of sandy soil that had been turned up by vehicles taking the corner too sharp, dropping wheels off the pavement and subsequently kicking the sand up onto the inside line.

As road riders (we’ll save off-road for another day) we spend a lot of time analyzing the road itself. Surface conditions, pavement construct, etc. all get continuously assessed (or should) as we ride. The problem with this is that we can only analyze what we can see, and the road surface itself is a fairly confined area. It should still remain the focus of our traction requirements, but how taking that analysis effort and expanding it outside the road envelope itself? Let’s call it “Environmental Analysis”.

I define Environmental Analysis as examining the environment around the road for those factors which could impact safe road conditions. For example, in my previous dilemma could I have foreseen possible sand in the middle of the corner by recognizing that sandy patch of soil just to the inside of the pavement? If you ride in rural areas, particularly farm, mining or other locations where heavy equipment moves on the roads, can you expect dirty corners?

A narrow rural road with sand or dirt spilling over the pavement edges almost guarantees a dirty corner ahead.

This should not be a surprise after environmental analysis and the first view of this upcoming corner.

How about the foliage? Beautiful, narrow canopied road are a joy to ride, but what can all those overhanging trees mean for your traction conditions and riding safety? If you have an area that is constantly shaded, it could mean a wet road surface well into morning hours. In the fall in areas where trees drop their leaves, this could also mean a road coated with wet, slick leaves.

Heavily foliaged areas also are havens for wildlife. Watch out!

Pictured above is one of my favorite local roads, but I am never in a hurry here. Overhanging trees means possible debris on the road. The soil encroaching on the pavement edges guarantees a poor traction environment. There are critters everywhere, including the inevitable suicidal squirrels!

How about other areas? Should we still practice environmental analysis? Why not? When I’m riding in the canyon roads of southern California, I’m going to be more focused now on not just the loose dirt/gravel in the corners, but the sides of the hills as well. Loose hillsides ahead probably mean a dirty road surface. Riding in other parts of the country and world will offer up their own terrain analysis challenges.

Can we apply this analysis technique in an urban setting? Why not? We already know that intersections accumulate oil, engine coolant, grease, etc. How about analyzing the environment around the urban streets? Exits from car washes are always wet. Industrial areas usually mean chewed up streets with lots of potholes, from the heavy truck traffic.

Let’s extend the urban environmental analysis to its interaction with other drivers. If you see a Starbucks ahead, I will guarantee you that at least one car in front of you is going to turn into it, and there is probably another waiting to pull out! Shopping areas means families in the vehicles, in turn this causes distracted driving, particularly during holiday events.

So how far can we take the idea of environmental analysis? I suggest it is up to the rider to assess how far out he or she needs to look in order to assess the environment and its potential impact on riding safety.

We should recognize another factor here, and that is the condition of the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat. That’s right…the rider. It is up to all of us to stay focused on our riding, constantly scanning our path of travel for possible negative riding situations. The MSF strategy of “SEE”, standing for Search, Evaluate and Execute, remains one of the most valuable tools we have as riders to keep ourselves safe. What I’m suggesting here is we take the SEE concept and extend it well out beyond the road and path of travel itself.

The next time you are out riding, try a little environmental analysis. Try looking beyond the road surface and around at the environment. See if there are other factors outside the road area itself that may impact your riding safety, or may give you clues as to possible road conditions.

Ride Safe! – Doug Westly