Author Topic: Entry-Apex-Exit Points - 3306  (Read 1271 times)

VersysRider

Entry-Apex-Exit Points - 3306
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
Nick Zarras | STAReview Managing Editor

MSTA promotes the use of proper gear with our All the Gear all the Time (ATGATT) mantra. But with the large amount of gear available and varied armor available what is the best? One way is to look at the CE (Conformance European) standard. This was created by industry and medical consultants in Europe. Normal locations for armor are shoulder, elbow and kneepads with normal EN1621-1 labeling. The back protector level 2 or B2 passes a high standard and is labeled EN1621-2. If they do not have these markings they may be approved for lower impact uses like bicycle riding. Most of us are used to the TF2-6 ratings when we look at armor. There are other armors continually coming to the market that are improving our survivability. One thing to note is that some armor on the market, that was developed before the CE rating existed, is equivalent to a TF3 rating. I have TF3 and TF6 in my Aerostitch suit. Both levels provide me good protection. The key difference is level of protection and hardness of the armor. Do your research and buy wisely.

This issue has a great travelogue from Indiana’s Dave Edinger on his Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan Motorcycle Adventure. Mike Jundt fresh back from his trip to Laguna Seca, Monterey Bay, California gives us an in-depth account of the FIM and AMA Superbikes at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, California. In this issue we feature Ohio’s State Director Doug McPeek. This month’s Member Profiles features Ohio’s own Alan and Debbie Smith. This month’s Sweet rides are Kansas’ Will and Nikki England’s Honda CBR 250Rs. In Safety Strategies Doug Westly show us the lessons learned from motorcycle statistics. James T. Parks gives us some rain riding advice in his “Touring Tip: Just Ridin’ in the Rain” article. This month we have two different types of motorcycles in our road test sections. The main road test is the new KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R, KTMs “wild child” that is at the top of its game, yet highly civilized and easy to live with. The Road Test - Quick Look features the Moto Guzzi Norge, a highly styled sport touring bike that will pile on the miles and smiles. Several product tests are showcased. One is the SKIDBIKE that simulates riding on very slippery surfaces and allows you to practice ride and recovery techniques without the threat of a high or low side. A second product test is the CTEK battery charger that can handle not only your motorcycle but all your vehicle charging needs. In this article I have included background information on Valarie Thompson, who accelerated to 212 mph on a BMW S1000RR for the 1000cc land speed record. Special news: Tom Tom has given forum users the chance to win a Tom Tom Rider GPS (http://ridemsta.com/mstaforums/index.php/topic,445.0.html). Check out the details in this issue on page 5.

To showcase your stories and events in STAReview Magazine, email me your articles, and high resolution photos, with the best in portrait mode. Showcase your treasured 2011-2014 motorcycle (Sweet Rides), or 2007 or older motorcycle (Safe Money). I will provide you full editorial support. The embedded hyperlinks will link you to web sites for travel planning information, and bikes and accessories to lust over without leaving your digital copy of STAReview Magazine. I want YOU to be the star in STAReview! So kick back with a cool one and enjoy this issue of STAReview Magazine.

Ride Safe my friend...
Clear skies, clear roads…