Author Topic: Sweet Rides - 2011-2013 Honda CBR250R  (Read 2348 times)

VersysRider

Sweet Rides - 2011-2013 Honda CBR250R
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

By Will & Nikki England | Kansas

After years of riding big bikes (Concours ZG1000, ST1100, K1100LT, Ducati ST2), I’ve grown tired of the weight and unwieldy slow speed  handling. Recently married, with two broken bikes in the garage, my new bride convinced me to sell the Ducati, with over $3,000 in clutch work due, and the BMW K1100LT, with over $1,600 in rear main seal and clutch work due. Classic story – get married, sell the bikes. But she had ulterior motives. She’d been learning to ride on my Ducati, but was intimidated by the heavy clutch, snatchy throttle, top heavy weight and unobtanium plastics. I had been oogling the new for 2011 CBR250R single from Honda. With jewel-like paint, styling cloned from the VFR1200 and 60+ MPG economy, it looked amazing.

Keeping an eye on the local classifieds and dealers, we turned up a pristine 2011 CBR250R with 17 miles for sale at Donnell’s Motorcycles in Independence, MO. (http://www.donnellsmotorcycles.com/ ) Yes, 17 miles. At this point, the CBR250R was rare as hens’ teeth and finding a used one with that few miles was a fluke. A quick 40 mile drive across town and we were the proud new owner of a deep red CBR! I followed “proper” break-in procedures, rolling out of the dealership and right onto the interstate, running through redline in all 6 gears. It is a fantastic bike. It is quick off the line, handles like it is on rails, and weighs nothing. Only real drawback is limited passing power on the Interstate. With my 200 pound frame, it tops out at just under 80MPH.

The CBR250R only has 26 bhp, but the over square single offers excellent torque off the line, and gearing to take advantage of the new motor. Built in Thailand, the CBR250R is just 355 pounds fully fueled. The 31” seat height offers a tall ride for shorter riders, but the low weight inspires confidence even if you can only get your toes down. ABS is available but ours did not offer it. Testing shows nearly a 1.0G stopping at 124’. Seat of the pants measurements confirm – this bike can stop on a dime and give you back a nickel change!

Once I got it home, Nikki tried it out. And immediately stole it. My new bike! She’d just graduated her MSF course and with her Class M license still warm from the DMV, she’s off riding on my CBR! What to do, what to do… Fortunately, mother Honda released their classic Red, White and Blue paint scheme for the 2012 CBR, so I called back to Donnell’s and asked Greg to reserve the first RWB off the truck for me! Now we’re a two CBR family, red for her, Honda Red White and Blue for me.

About the bikes – they are brilliant around town with precise handling, strong acceleration and sure braking. On the back roads, they stay secure on their line and with proper throttle control they will keep up with the big bikes in the canyons of Southern Missouri. But this is a sport-touring group right? How do the CBR’s do for touring? The first fall we owned them we rode to the Bull Shoals rally a 600 mile weekend. Our ride showed that the CBR250R offers great comfort, semi-upright riding position, good airflow management from the stock screen, and a decent stock seat. We added the Tourmaster Cortech tri-bags and a Fieldsheer tank bag. It can carry everything we need for lightweight unsupported touring. The following summer we set out to Devils Tower, WY from Kansas City and completed a 1,800 mile eight day tour of Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming in comfort. Comparing them to the big bikes I’m used to, I honestly prefer touring on the small bike! Faster to stop and lighter to handle for photo ops; better on dirt and loose roads; easier to park and maneuver and far better on fuel! The 3.4 gallon fuel tank gives you an easy 180 miles between fuel ups with the 60MPG economy.

Can they go the distance? Last April, I jumped on my 2012 CBR250R and rode to get the seven Tour of Honor (http://www.tourofhonor.com/) sites around Kansas. It was a 1,030 mile, 22 hours straight ride for an Ironbutt Saddlesore certificate and finishers ticket on the Tour of Honor ride. It was challenging crossing I-70. You really learn the bike’s power band and keep it between 5th and 6th gear to maintain interstate speed!

Honda has bumped the displacement to 300cc, and now offers a 500cc twin version of the same bike, but for less than $4,000 lightly used you can get the 250cc and have a great starter bike, touring bike or canyon carver all in one. I strongly recommend this bike to anyone getting started riding, re-entering the sport or simply looking for a more genuine riding experience without all the farkles, weight and drama of a full house sport touring bike.

Offline woofgang

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda ST1300
Re: Sweet Rides - 2011-2013 Honda CBR250R
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
Jon, that is a great review. Very interesting to get your take of a smaller displacement bike. Looks like a wise choice, and lots of fun.

Jim Parish