Author Topic: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?  (Read 14344 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Garmin alternative?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
Ok... what are OSM maps?

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
Open Street Maps ... FREE

http://www.openstreetmap.org
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:55 PM »
Jim... so you can download these maps and put them on a Garmin gps.  Can you make routes on them with BaseCamp?
This would really be cool.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »
Download osm maps to the GPS and the computer and yes you can route on these maps.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »
You guys need to start a GPS consulting company, you know in your spare time when you're not out riding. :)

I guess before I consider an upgraded GPS (nuvi 2450 now, not waterproof, not MC specific, have some issues with powering through USB plug) I should consider the smart phone option. I wonder are you guys (I guess Jim and Syd mostly) using older smart phones for this, as GPS only? Are is this your regular use phone that you're mounting to the bikes. And what kind of mounts are you using, those four point grippy type spring loaded ones? Or are brackets made for that specific phone?
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:27:18 PM »
In my case I have an older smartphone (HTC Incredible with an 8 gig card) that I have retired from telephone usage. it still works okay but I don't have an active contract for it. It's not waterproof and I could use it as an active GPS in the car but since I have three others and a newer phone on an active contract I'll probably use them instead for now.

I was just curious how the application works. I was impressed. I suspect it would be adequate for many people.

I have seen various mounts for smartphones. I believe RAM makes some. However, I would be concerned about durability the phone itself on a motorcycle.

And, FWIW, my new Garmin 64s uses a USB power cord. I simply attached the power lead to the RAM mount with a stress relief (a zip tie) to prevent damage to the USB port on the device. It appears to work fine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:30:49 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
Jim thanks for the tips. I bought a powerlet cable to attach to my (micro?) USB port, and it failed after about a year. It seemed to work better with a short cabled attached to a battery source. Then for FCR I did a Q&D mount job on my VFR with a cig lighter adapter plug, and plugged in a cig lighter USB socket, worked much better. I just know that port is not meant to supply power generally (my Nuvi cradle for the car uses a different plug and then has contacts for power) so when I had trouble I chalked it up to that. Sometimes I'd try bending the contacts on the GPS USB plug, but was afraid of damaging that. Kept losing power intermittenly which was driving me nuts. I also notice that the display is not as bright on that power as it is on the battery.

Oh well it was cheap and got me into the GPS era, still use it in the car when needed.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

DICE32

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »

Over the years using GPS (car/non waterproof models) on motorcycles, I had the same problems with intermittent connections with the plugs. The easy fix that worked for me.....
1/8 x 1/8 inch piece of gorilla tape added to connection before plugging it in. Keeps it from vibrations that cause the power to go on & off and drives you crazy. Works for me. As far as rainy conditions, I have a zippered case that fits the ball mount on my bars. I also have used the sandwich baggy in the past that worked fine too.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
So, today I played with the OSMAnd app a bit more. I created a track in Basecamp and exported it as a GPX file and then copied the GPX file from the PC to the osmand/tracks folder on the smartphone as per the instructions. I then selected the Configure Maps menu item and turned on GPX. A selection menu came up and when I picked my downloaded track it was displayed perfectly on the screen but the screen did not scroll with it when i drove out of the displayed area. However, when I chose Navigate the Track it behaves as expected scrolling the screen to keep my location more or less in the center at all times. I was using the Automotive profile in which I have road lock turned on and when I deviated from the "route" the application would recalculate. :-(  Since then I have edited a second profile (Bicycle) to not use road lock but I have not tried following a track with it in that configuration to see if it forces recalculation.

Also, the OSMAnd app supports recording track files while moving just like a "real" GPS. The track files are stored as GPX files in the tracks folder and can be transferred to the PC and read in Basecamp and Mapsource.

I continue to be somewhat amazed by the capabilities of this free/$5 application. My aging HTC Incredible crashed a couple of times when it ran out of memory but rebooted and it took up where it left off) However that is not likely to be a problem with newer Android phones which have more memory and manage it better than the old Android 2.3.4 OS I am running on this old phone. This application (and probably others like it) will inevitably improve and given a modern robust and waterproof smartphone could be quite viable as a Garmin alternative for someone who is moderately computer literate.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:22:28 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
Update... Routing works as on any other "real" GPS - no-brainer. It will load routes and tracks from external sources but WILL recalculate them before navigation so lots of waypoints/vias are needed to assure the routing remains as the creator intended.

Because my interest is more about following tracks that may NOT be on route-able roads I was particularly interested in the app's capabilities in this regard. News Flash! There is a way to use OsmAnd to follow tracks and not recalc. There is a setting the Screen Configuration for each profile to "Keep position in center of screen". And under Map Settings one can choose to display a gpx  track from the library of stored (or imported) tracks in the folder .../osmand/tracks/. Choose a track to display and DO NOT choose Navigate and the app behaves exactly like a 64S displaying a track. Basically one just stays on the purple (or whatever color) line roads or not. If you deviate you can always see which direction to go to get back on the track. Certainly the waterproof and robust 64S is a better tool for dual sport riding but I really think this app on a modern Android smartphone (or tablet!) would work awesome as functional GPS without spending hundreds of dollars. I give it two thumbs up!

It's all open source though so only on Android for now but the iOS fans on ADVRider say there's an Apple version in development.

http://osmand.net/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:27:23 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 06:26:57 AM »
That's fantastic... Just got my iPhone 6.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 08:39:05 AM »
Jim,

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but sounds like a great find!

Norm Kern

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
There is a growing OsmAnd thread on ADVRider HERE

This morning I went ahead and spent the big bucks ($5.99) and downloaded OsmAnd to my Samsung S4. It's downloading ALL the US maps now... takes a while. I'll probably buy the $1.99 contour maps too which overlay on the regular maps providing 3D "relief" for ground contour. Doesn't matter much is Florida I guess but it does where I ride. 

I sometimes want access to GPS functions when I don't have a "real" GPS with me. I think this will more than meet my needs. Plus it provides a backup system in case my Garmin device fails or get's damaged. Cheap insurance I guess plus the contour maps may actually provide a function my 64S doesn't have.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:34:21 PM by TN2Wheeler »
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
Re: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
Jim,

I am pleased that you are getting extra options for routing so that you can keep us going the right direction when we ride together!  No chance we will get lost!   ::)

Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
Re: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Jim,

I am pleased that you are getting extra options for routing so that you can keep us going the right direction when we ride together!  No chance we will get lost!   ::)

Galen
We are never lost on a dual sport bike. Possibly a little displaced sometimes but not lost.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'