Author Topic: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?  (Read 14339 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: OsmAnd - Garmin alternative?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »
Jim,

I am pleased that you are getting extra options for routing so that you can keep us going the right direction when we ride together!  No chance we will get lost!   ::)

Galen
We are never lost on a dual sport bike. Possibly a little displaced sometimes but not lost.
From a friend of our friend Roger White...

There has been a great deal of confusion generated by the term “lost” as it applies to motorcycle touring. As a veteran motorcycle rider and an authority on such stuff (even though I have never been personally “lost”), I feel that it is only right that I set the question to rest.
The term “lost” is just one of many improprieties that are listed in the Motorcyclist Rider Handbook, Chapter 12, “Malfeasance”. To be officially declared lost, the rider must meet all criteria listed for that category of malfeasance. The 5 criteria are as follows:
1. You must have less than a vague idea of where you are.
2. You must have something better than a vague idea of where you would rather be.
3. You are about out of gas and see no hope of finding any soon.
4. It is either…
a. Raining or at least threatening.
b. Dark or will be soon
c. Tall grass is growing through cracks in the road
5. Co-pilot is nagging (mere whining does not count).
Please note that all criteria must be met in order to be declared LOST and subject to the verbal abuse from friends and peers that is the just punishment for those who become LOST. Also, please note that if nobody actually knows that you have met the criteria, the charge is null and void and you are therefore not LOST. It clearly follows that many motorcyclists have been unjustly charged in the past.
However, be forewarned that even though you do not meet all 5 LOST criteria, if you meet criteria 3, 4, and 5, please be advised that those are included as part of the criteria for motorcyclist malfeasance categories TROUBLE and BIG TROUBLE.
Dave Alford
Sept 24, 1989

Obviously, this is more related to road riding, but you can make appropriate modifications to accommodate dual sport riding.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:45:40 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
^^^^ See we're NEVER lost.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
I have 14.4 Gigabytes of OSM maps, contour lines and hillside shadow tiles on my 64 Gbyte SD card now. It's impressive but huge!
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
A little demonstration of the effect of contour lines and hill shading. I have 3 profiles set up on my phone. Car, Bike & Walk and can switch between the profiles with a single touch.

Here are three views of the same geographic location (unpaved road over Cinnamon Pass, Colorado)

Car - just the basic map

Bike - the basic map + contour lines

Walk - the basic map + contour lines and Hill shading

Obviously the use of contour lines and hill-shading provides a lot more information about the actual terrain.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'