Author Topic: Is our Forum Growing?  (Read 25299 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Is our Forum Growing?
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
Seems like I'm seeing some new faces (names) and some old ones are coming back!
Hope we keep growing!!!!  8)  -JEP-

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
Re: Is our children learning?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »

Seems a little livelier than it had become.  Give it some time.

Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
Re: Is our children learning?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »
Seems a little livelier than it had become.  Give it some time.
There was (is) an old Marine Corps saying, "it takes a hundred atta boys, to overcome one aw s--t."  IMO, this new format forum is infinitely better than what we had in the past, but it will take some time until our long time members discover that, and even more time until the word gets out to new members.  As you say Doug, "give it some time."  IMO, this site and our club itself is not the usual MC organization.  With a non-brand/model kind of organization the forum can drive membership where ours seems to be the other way around, members participate in the forum because of their association with the organization.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Is our Forum Growing?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
I've talked to quite a few who have given up... since it has gone down so much. I've tried to convince them this time it's right. We will see.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline STDocLizard1

• MSTA Member
  • Serial Monogamist
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
I've talked to quite a few who have given up... since it has gone down so much. I've tried to convince them this time it's right. We will see.

Brick

Too many "nosedives" have soured a few over the years. I still believe that there are quite a few members who are unaware of the board. I see that Our MSTA Facebook page is fairly active of late.

Doc
FRIENDS DON"T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
I'm guessing that quite a few of our members are about as adept at the computer as they are with a gps. That's not a slight, but a situation that arises due to a generation gap, a sense of satisfaction with the status quo, and maybe a sense of embarrassment about not being able to use the computer very well. Those who are embarrassed will probably remain that way unless a knowledgeable friend offers in a non-demeaning way to help. I like the forum, but it has even bothered me that we have to pick up, and do it all over again somewhere else, even though I know that each move is for the best.

Some time ago I mentioned a class at Star about using the GPS, and I believe it was-or is well attended. I think that now is the time to offer such an introductory course for the use of the forum. Such things as printing registration forms, or, Heaven forbid, registering online are totally foreign to many. Many also are totally unaware or the communications and opportunities they are missing. We need to make them aware! JMHO, Syd :)
Touringman

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
I think Jay has done this before but maybe it's time for a refresher course? -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:35:04 AM »
I suspect a session during STAR on how to navigate through the forum would be highly in order and would be well attended.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
OMG... Great idea!!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

VersysRider

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
Ok guys, some of you will take this the wrong way but understand I am trying to make you see the situation clearly...

1. I am currently going through the home buying process, so I most likely will not be at STAR this year as the closing date will be close to that time. With that said, who would teach said class?

2. We tried this at Johnson City, and about 8 people showed up, all of who regularly used the forum. The ones that suggested the class are the very ones who are suggesting it this time around. Are you going to show up? Past experience says no.

3. Has anyone ever thought about clicking that button next to the Home button that says "Help"? The is plenty of useful information there that will help you along with understanding how different functions of the forum work.

Really, I'm not trying to be an ass in my response, but understand, the webmaster cannot teach everyone how to use the forum or explain why they can't access the forum on their 20 year old computer. I do the best I can and their are resources that allow you to educate yourself. Yes, I would love for this forum to be successful and it is well on it's way there. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to teach each and every MSTA member how to use it.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
Well that said, I hope you're having a really big party when you move into your new home! ;) -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
Syd,
I think you are correct that there are a lot of people who are not very experienced with computers who are not and will not use the forum, at least not without a lot of extra effort.
However there are also people are fairly computer literate and just don't have the time or desire to get on the forum. I know several people that fit into that category. I had plans to do an MSTA forum/website and other internet type tutorial session with my local group and have not gotten around to it. I would still like to do that, but my experience tells me the off season is the best time (too many other activities including riding going on during good weather).
I think with some effort we could attract more people and get more activity, but the old expression about leading a horse to water comes to me. A comedian I was watching the other day talked about older people and them not being able to figure things out like Facebook or Skype, that is until they become grandparents, then suddenly they can figure it out to keep up with their grand kids.
So the key to getting some to participate is what value they get out of it.
As far as a session at STAR, that may work or maybe not. I'm not one that attends a lot of seminars and know quite a few who are the same. If my schedule permits and I'm interested I'll go. But first comes riding the great routes, second comes taking care of meals and then any other planning required. Which often makes attending a seminar difficult. (No I am not complaining about the schedules, just that seminars are a very low priority to me and possibly others, even one that I am interested in.)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:11 AM »
Ok guys, some of you will take this the wrong way but understand I am trying to make you see the situation clearly...

1. I am currently going through the home buying process, so I most likely will not be at STAR this year as the closing date will be close to that time. With that said, who would teach said class?

2. We tried this at Johnson City, and about 8 people showed up, all of who regularly used the forum. The ones that suggested the class are the very ones who are suggesting it this time around. Are you going to show up? Past experience says no.

3. Has anyone ever thought about clicking that button next to the Home button that says "Help"? The is plenty of useful information there that will help you along with understanding how different functions of the forum work.

Really, I'm not trying to be an ass in my response, but understand, the webmaster cannot teach everyone how to use the forum or explain why they can't access the forum on their 20 year old computer. I do the best I can and their are resources that allow you to educate yourself. Yes, I would love for this forum to be successful and it is well on it's way there. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to teach each and every MSTA member how to use it.
Jon,
You are dead on and just being realistic.  Take a look at other sites and see how many moderators pretty much run topics in the forum.  You have way too many duties for a modern full service forum.  Another thing on the training, this club as way too many Old Dogs who do not understand that a computer user has to learn software by trying it, applying intuition and not worrying about crashing the site on their browser a few times.  A familiarity class at STAR might not be a bad idea but I doubt very much it will cure the problem.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »

I am deeeply offended.   :'(

2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X
19753Trail 90

VersysRider

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »

I am deeeply offended.   :'(

I know better than to ask, but why is Bill offended?  ???