Author Topic: Is our Forum Growing?  (Read 22791 times)

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
Re: Is our Forum Growing?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
[...Bill considers Old Milwaukee "Premium" beer...]

Is it 35-cents more per 12-pack?

No, per truckload.

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
Beer snobs.   ;D
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline BlueRidgeGal

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
This forum is fairly easy to use but the multiple crashes left a bad taste for some. Face it, we have lost a lot of good information with each disaster. On a personal level, as I have stated before, I just don't have the time anymore to visit multiple forums. I try to keep an eye on the MSTA Facebook page for the most up to date info. This is the first time I have been on the forum in months. It'll probably be another month before I get to visit again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Proud owner of:
2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E
2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF
2012 BMW F800ST

GSRider2Up

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »
As with other forums, we have to be careful with our forum responses.  Forums tend to be a "good 'ol boys" networks, with a core group of members.  These loyal forum members take great "ownership" of "their" forum and club.
With our forum and others, most constructive criticism is taken as an assault on the club and forum.
I've seen people post and get pretty well beat up by the loyal forum members.  Usually comes down to "if you aren't volunteering - then shut up!"  I'm guessing these people won't be back to the forum again and maybe even leave the club or not join, whatever the case.
We always say we want to know why we have as many members leave the club as join and why more members don't use the forum.

Just saying that before loyal forum members start defending the forum or club to someone who posts some constructive criticism, take a moment to reflect:
- Does the poster have a point?
- Is this something we as a club should think about?
- Should we consider making changes?
- Should I rebuke the poster or should I thank them for their concern and point out they could have presented their idea in a better way?
People volunteer because they feel a sense of community and want to be an active part of this community.  They don't want to volunteer because someone says "volunteer or shutup!"

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
As with other forums, we have to be careful with our forum responses.  Forums tend to be a "good 'ol boys" networks, with a core group of members.  These loyal forum members take great "ownership" of "their" forum and club.
With our forum and others, most constructive criticism is taken as an assault on the club and forum.
I've seen people post and get pretty well beat up by the loyal forum members.  Usually comes down to "if you aren't volunteering - then shut up!"  I'm guessing these people won't be back to the forum again and maybe even leave the club or not join, whatever the case.
We always say we want to know why we have as many members leave the club as join and why more members don't use the forum.

Just saying that before loyal forum members start defending the forum or club to someone who posts some constructive criticism, take a moment to reflect:
- Does the poster have a point?
- Is this something we as a club should think about?
- Should we consider making changes?
- Should I rebuke the poster or should I thank them for their concern and point out they could have presented their idea in a better way?
People volunteer because they feel a sense of community and want to be an active part of this community.  They don't want to volunteer because someone says "volunteer or shutup!"

Some excellent points made here! 
not all that wander are lost

VersysRider

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
OK, do we really need to go here again? Let it die guys...

TK

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:02 PM »
I'll confess I don't check this forum as often as I should. I do recommend it to the 50 some members
we have in MN. We have our own website at MN-MSTA and this is where rides, social events,
race viewings are posted. I think because our members are getting almost all the info they need
from the state site they have little incentive to check out this site. I'm guessing many other states
have their own sites.

I'm happy we have this site though. It is easy to navigate, even for this luddite.

Offline Kenneth Gill

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: not enough
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW S1000r
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »
How about a instruction pack that can be emailed to anyone that requests it.  Or maybe just broadcast email the instruction pack to members.  Many people can't attend a STAR event.  Why wait until next year to grow our forums use?
Ken Gill

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
What usually helps a forum is content. Is there anyway some content from the old forum(s) can be transferred here? Maybe to an archive section?
Can perhaps some of the posters that had notable trip reports or accessory installs be encouraged to resubmit their posts?
It's one thing to get people to come to a forum, and another to get them to stay and contribute.

As a newbie member (both forum and paid) I'm not sure if my view to you is more valuable (new blood, what are they thinking?) or less valuable (new blood, who cares?)
but the Main website and Membership packet I received were both (IMO) pretty impressive. The forum content, not so much, especially considering the long history of this group. I do think that this forum software is going to work well for you, it looks a lot like other forums that I'm on and they have been up for years and seem to work well. However getting back to my original thought, no matter how glossy the magazine, it's content that makes it readable, same for a forum.  :)

Should I start a What's the best oil thread?  :o That usually gets folks typing. (YES I"M JOKING!  ;D )

MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »
Oh yes, fartmarty you will fit right in here!
Welcome!

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
Ok guys, some of you will take this the wrong way but understand I am trying to make you see the situation clearly...

1. I am currently going through the home buying process, so I most likely will not be at STAR this year as the closing date will be close to that time. With that said, who would teach said class?

2. We tried this at Johnson City, and about 8 people showed up, all of who regularly used the forum. The ones that suggested the class are the very ones who are suggesting it this time around. Are you going to show up? Past experience says no.

3. Has anyone ever thought about clicking that button next to the Home button that says "Help"? The is plenty of useful information there that will help you along with understanding how different functions of the forum work.

Really, I'm not trying to be an ass in my response, but understand, the webmaster cannot teach everyone how to use the forum or explain why they can't access the forum on their 20 year old computer. I do the best I can and their are resources that allow you to educate yourself. Yes, I would love for this forum to be successful and it is well on it's way there. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to teach each and every MSTA member how to use it.

Well said Jay. This might be something to explore more at the local (read State) level. I remember before the last crash, we here in MI were going to have a session on the Forum at a monthly meeting. But like I said, then we had the last crash and it never materialized. Just a thought for the State directors who have more regular meetings. I know it's not as fun as riding, but the forum can be a great tool. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi