Author Topic: Washing Frogg Toggs  (Read 19638 times)

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Washing Frogg Toggs
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:33 AM »
My Frogg Togg, hi-viz, green jacket was getting pretty tatty so I decided to wash it in the washing machine.  I was mainly interested in cleaning the stains around the collar so I presoaked the collar band with dishwashing liquid then dumped it into the washer with a tiny amount of normal powdered soap. 

I hung it to dry and a few hours later I was amazed at the renewed brilliance!  :)   

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: Washing Frogg Toggs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »
I had wondered about throwing mine in the wash. They are almost at the point where I could just ask them to step in the washer on their own! I'm sure this has improved Debbie's outlook as well, having something around the house that's brilliant! ;D
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »
Will have to give it a try. I have the hi-viz yellow jacket too but it hasn't dulled yet.
Tosh let us know if you notice any change in their ability to repel rain after being washed.
My major complaint is after a few hours in a steady rain they just soak through and your gear underneath gets wet. I like their light weight and how they can compact down. But I'm starting to reconsider using them for longer trips where getting wet and not being able to try out your gear is a bigger problem. May go back to a vinyl type rain suit for that purpose. Then there is the tendency of those fibers to attach themselves to every piece of velcro they come in contact with. Happens a lot with my jacket on the cuffs, flap over main zipper, etc.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
The only caution has to do with throwing Frogg Toggs into the dryer which is a no-no.  I washed them on a gentle cycle as recommended and once that was done, they were about 60% dry just from the final spin cycle. 

Frogg Toggs has new garments which look like normal rain jacket & pants but I still have the original version that are paper-like.  Yes, they sometime soak through in an all-day downpour but it's not a bother for me. 

Having a real rain suit is like wearing a plastic bag! 

Offline aaronengle

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki GSX1300BK
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Tosh you might try 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, manufactured by Gold Eagle Co. Restores water repellence on my soft luggage and fabric suits. Aaron

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »
I hadn't thought of adding a spray waterproofing treatment on my Frogg Toggs.  I already have an aerosol can of Scotch Guard Heavy Duty Water Repellent so I might try that first.  On the back of the can it claims "...keeps fabric breathable..."

VersysRider

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
I would guess the wash in type of NikWax would work well. I'd suggest you use the laundromat's washing machine, unless you don't mind water-proof skiveez...

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
I've used my home washing machine to apply Tech Wash then Nikwax without any problems.  :)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
Frog togs work on the same principle as goretex. The holes are so small they allow water vapor to escape but do not allow (much) liquid water to enter.  Be careful about using water proofing treatments.  They could seal up the tiny holes making your breathable frogtogs into a "plastic bag"
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

JerseyBoy

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Aerostich sells a product called Nikwash which is a wash in water repellent safe to Gore Tex fabrics. May want to give that a try.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
I have Nikwax's tech wash and waterproofing treatment already but never thought of using it on Frogg Toggs so I'll give that a try.  By the way, Nikwax is also available from many outdoor stores which is where I bought it.   

Aerostich has great apparel and other items but the majority of things in their catalog are bought from the outside and marked-up accordingly.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »
[Tosh - let us know if you notice any change in their ability to repel rain after being washed.]

It hasn't rained since I did the washing but I doubt if it has adversely effected its ability to repel water since that's a property of the fabric and not a treatment done to the outside.

Syd - my brilliance never dulls.   ;)