Author Topic: Sevier County Backroads Ride  (Read 7204 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Sevier County Backroads Ride
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »
On October 8th, I plan on leading a ride to explore the backroads of Sevier County in eastern Tennessee. You guys are all familiar with Sevierville, Pigeon Forge (home of Dollywood), and Gatlinburg...right? Well, even though you can't avoid seeing some of the effects of those towns, you CAN avoid going through them while making a complete circuit of the county. And by golly, that's what we'll be doing. If you thought those towns defined the county, I think you'll have a different opinion after this ride should you choose to join me. Sevier County is surprisingly rural if you avoid those 3 towns.

The start point will be McDonald's at exit 407 from I-40 with sidestands up at 8:30 a.m.

Smaller and more maneuverable bikes with a light clutch pull will make it a more enjoyable day, and I'm probably riding something south of a 650. Wind protection should be a non-issue except for getting to the start and home from the end points. We'll spend little time in top gear as my GPS tells me I have averaged 31.8 mph as my moving average speed on previous trips on the route. There will be lots of little roads ranging from marked 2-lane roads down to unmarked/unlined 1-lane roads. FYI...the local BMW motorcycle club has nicknamed my rides "driveway tours", and this route certainly deserves the moniker.

Gas will be available at 41 miles, 83 miles, 143 miles, and 174 miles. We'll stop around 120 miles for lunch near Pittman Center, but there's no gas particularly close to that location. Gas will also be available at 192 miles, but that's at the very end of the route. Those stops may seem close together, but they are an hour or more apart based on the slow speeds we'll be traveling. Never fear...it only sounds slow. You'll be getting a good work out.

Except for one little corner of Cocke County that we'll pass through, which is maybe a mile in length, you'll find the pavement to be in above-average condition.

Plan on pulling out out of McDonald's at the 407 exit from I-40 at 8:30 a.m., so show up at least a little earlier than that. With the anticipated average speed, figuring an hour for lunch, and 4 gas stops/breaks of 15-20 minutes each, I'm thinking we'll be back to the starting area around 5:00 p.m. FYI...Unless you live in the central eastern Tennessee area, you may run out of daylight before getting home. It'll be a full day.

We'll be depending on every person to stick to the policy of making sure the person behind you sees every turn before you make the turn yourself. Do not make a turn until you know the person behind you has seen you. If anyone makes a turn before making sure this has happened, the ride is over for everyone behind you. Please don't be responsible for anyone on the ride being left behind.

If you come for this ride, find a place to spend Saturday night, we'll find a place to put on the feedbag, and then come to the Knoxville Ride For Kids event on Sunday.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Sevier County Backroads Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:01:47 AM »
That looks like a lot of fun.  I've been on a few of those roads in the eastern half, but none of the western ones.  Would love to join you, but other plans and commitments are going to have to come first.  Enjoy!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
I remember Roger telling me about your driveway tours... I would love to do this but it won't be this year! Something for me to look forward to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »
There is a good chance that Hurricane Matthew will skirt along the North Carolina coastline next weekend and thus send significant rainfall into eastern Tennessee. Hopefully it will pass by much further east.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
Anything is possible, but both the Weather Channel and AccuWeather are calling for a low Friday night in the mid 50s, a high Saturday in the 70s, and no more than a 10% probability of rain. We see as we get closer, but I'm liking what I see so far.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
Sounds like you've planned a very full day (that could turn into a weekend) of riding and the associated needs. Too bad it's so far from me. You have fun and enjoy.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

Re: Sevier County Backroads Ride with additional date
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 02:26:53 PM »
A number of our local riders will be in Birmingham this weekend at Barber for the vintage event, so...

For the folks that have interest in doing a backroads loop of Sevier County, I'll be doing the same ride a second time next Thursday, October 13th, as that of this weekend. If you'd prefer to come out on a weekday with perhaps a smaller group and maybe even less traffic, the 13th might just be the ticket.

I'll use the same start time, etc. as what we're doing this weekend: sidestands up at 8:30 from the McDonald's at exit 407 (Kodak) from I-40. I'll be early for a biscuit. Lunch around 1:15-1:30 at a restaurant near Pittman Center 10 miles east of Gatlinburg. Rest/gas stops will be every 35-60 miles. Any size or type of bike from probably a 200cc and up is appropriate, but something with a light clutch pull will be a bonus. With the number of turns from one road to another and the frequent speed adjustments, we'll be running through the gears a LOT. With a stiff clutch pull, you'll have a worn out left hand.

Geoffrey Greene

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
A number of our local riders will be in Birmingham this weekend at Barber for the vintage event, so...

For the folks that have interest in doing a backroads loop of Sevier County, I'll be doing the same ride a second time next Thursday, October 13th, as that of this weekend. If you'd prefer to come out on a weekday with perhaps a smaller group and maybe even less traffic, the 13th might just be the ticket.

I'll use the same start time, etc. as what we're doing this weekend: sidestands up at 8:30 from the McDonald's at exit 407 (Kodak) from I-40. I'll be early for a biscuit. Lunch around 1:15-1:30 at a restaurant near Pittman Center 10 miles east of Gatlinburg. Rest/gas stops will be every 35-60 miles. Any size or type of bike from probably a 200cc and up is appropriate, but something with a light clutch pull will be a bonus. With the number of turns from one road to another and the frequent speed adjustments, we'll be running through the gears a LOT. With a stiff clutch pull, you'll have a worn out left hand.

We were down your way that weekend for the Horizons Unlimited meeting at the IronHorse motorcycle lodge in Stecoah.  That was  a pretty kewl event, with presentations provided by round-the-world riders.  I'll likely go again next year.

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
I need to be able to split myself into about 4 parts to be able to do all of the things I'd like to do.
Geoffrey Greene