collapse

Author Topic: 2015 Mail Pouch Fly-By  (Read 6614 times)

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
2015 Mail Pouch Fly-By
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Many thanks to Jon & Janet Campbell plus the many volunteers that make this event such a welcome treat!   We had perfect weather and I made it home without a drop of rain falling on me.

Those who stayed home missed a great event. 

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 738,638
  • Primary Motorcycle: '07 BMW F650GS thumper now over 100k miles
Re: 2015 Mail Pouch Fly-By
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
I don't want to be a "me too", but I would like to add my thanks. Without those generous Ohio volunteers, we wouldn't have this event, and that would be sad. And one thing that continues to make this a great event is that it has even more routes now than ever before. That's really cool.

After leaving the hotel at 4:25 a.m. this morning, I got home about 11:30 a.m. nice and dry having ridden all morning in pleasantly cool temperatures. I'm ready for a nap, but if you have to drone down bigger roads to get some place, the conditions were excellent.

I have to give a big shout out to everyone who donated to the 50/50 we did to benefit the Ride for Kids. The total amount collected was $1,030...the first time we've ever gone over $1,000 at a regional event. The winner donated part of his portion back to the cause (thanks!!), so the Ride For Kids will benefit nicely from this event.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator
MSTA Secretary
TriSTAR Coordinator
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »
I am OK with adding a me too! Thanks to all the volunteers for helping out at the Fly By. And a special thanks to Jon and Janet for putting so much work into running an outstanding event. I can't wait for next year!

Offline Patmo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
Excellent event!  No surprise, as it always is.  Fantastic job done by all the volunteers, and whomever was in charge of the weather gets an extra special attaboy!  Much thanks to all involved.  Just not enough time to spend all the time I want to with all the great people that are there every year. A wonderful time with the best group of friends I could ever ask for. 

:)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:43:09 AM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
Thanks Jon, Janet and all the volunteers! We had a great time. I was riding with 2 new members who both said they enjoyed the whole thing. 

There were 178 attendees, a new regional event record. I think there were 21 new members!

Here are the group photos:

Download original: [size=78%]https://bd614.smugmug.com/2015-MPFB/i-8sNfFjM/0/O/IMG_4499.jpg[/size]

Download original: [size=78%]https://bd614.smugmug.com/2015-MPFB/i-g3BL6Gm/0/O/IMG_4500.jpg[/size]

Download original: [size=78%]https://bd614.smugmug.com/2015-MPFB/i-K7LHbcr/0/O/IMG_4501.jpg[/size]
==BD

'15 Super Tenere, '08 Street Triple

Offline normkern

• MSTA Member
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »
Got home from the MSTA MailPouch Fly-By this afternoon. Seven days and 1650 miles of fun twisty roads. Priceless experience with the best friends one could ever have. Jennie Kimes was spectacular on her Ducati all week and we had great times off the bikes too. Allan Skinner did his usual good riding and antics. Dennis-Denny Gass was always ready with jokes & wisecracks. Jeff Dolence enjoyed the craziness and made sure no one dropped off the end of the group.

New MSTA member Jerry Humphries from Union, OH, came over Thursday and rode with us on Friday and Saturday. He had a great time until 5 miles from the end of Saturday's ride, He hit a chuckhole that knocked the saddlebags off his Kaw Concours 14 & KO'd his rear wheel. He got back to the hotel OK but the damaged wheel caused a slow leak. Allan loaded his bike on the trailer for the trip home and Jennie rode her bike home with us.

There were plenty of others who rode with our group off & on, especially on Thur, Fri & Sat. Bob Lyon, Clyde McLaughlin, the always outrageous Harry Dill, Robert Belasco and Nikki O'Quinn.

Felix ran perfectly the whole time, but shredded his front tire- there's still plenty of tread in the middle, but bald stripes on the sides.

This was my 15th MailPouch Fly-By and was hands-down the best one ever. Jon Campbell and his crew know how to put on a great event. Thanks to each & every person who worked on it!

Norm Kern

Offline normkern

• MSTA Member
  • Norm Kern
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »
The "Weather Weenies" who always cancel at the last minute had NO EXCUSE this year, so everyone showed up and had a great time.

Several of us arrived on Monday and made a whole week of it. Had mild temps, sun & low humidity the whole week. (Saw a few sprinkles on Sat afternoon, but no big deal) Nice as it was, Saturday had the highest temps & humidity of the week, so those who came in on Fri night missed the truly primo weather.

The Fly-By actually rivals even the best STAR events. Location that's easy to reach for many members, plus more great routes (and fun roads) than most STAR events, etc.

Norm

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
I'll toss in my thanks to Jon & Janet and all their helpers, you guys put on a first class event every year (I''ve been going since joining in 2000). The cool temps were a blessing, cannot remember ever needing to wear a long sleeve T-shirt under my regular riding jacket in the morning at this event, and needed it every day but yesterday.

Did an extra day this year and it really does make a nice difference allowing more time to ride different roads and visit with more of my great friends in the club. Even the mishap of losing my GoPro camera on 555 during our ride to Marietta couldn't dampen my spirits. 4 days of riding and just under 1000 miles (Marietta is less than 150 miles from my home) made for another great time.

PS   OH 26 freshly paved north of Woodsfield was a blast, also found OH 9 from its southern end to St. Clairsville repaved, and heard from some of my Cleveland friends that they took 164 to Lisbon and it was freshly paved. Seems the oil and gas well revenues are trickling into the highway funds. :)
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Shasta McNasty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW S1000R
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »
Thanks to all the volunteers who make this event what it is!  I look forward to it every year--I think I have only missed one since 2008.

Thanks in particular for having the maps available to copy from the 3-ring binder.  Would it be possible to post PDF versions of these?  The existing PDF's aren't as nice as the ones in the binder.  For example, the Tour #1 map in the binder had route numbers clearly indicated, as well as mileage and some other good info.  Tour #1 PDF posted on-line is just a screen-shot from MapSource with no route numbers.  Even if someone could scan the pages, that would be a big improvement.   :)
Steve Gross -- MSTA Member since 2007 (Member #12122)
'15 BMW S1000R, '88 Ducati 750 F1.  Previously:  '98 Ducati ST2, '00 Honda CBR929RR, '96 Ural Tourist, '92 Ducati 900SS, '89 Yamaha FJ1200, '82 Yamaha Virago 750, and too many single enduros to count!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
I'm not sure how those maps were made and was going to mention this to Jon Campbell...

The Tour 1 map that was provided incorrectly labeled highway 255 as 265. While riding on 255 one of my group stopped me and asked "shouldn't we be on 265" I told him I wasn't aware of any such highway number in the area. Later I compared the map to a state map to confirm that highway was 255.  (I was following my GPS where I laid in part of this route manually before getting to Marietta, not one of the provided GPS routes.)
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Ohiomsta

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT / 2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro / 2008 XT 250
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:12 PM »
A big THANK YOU to all the volunteers that helped to make the 2015 Fly-By a huge success. Without your help we would not be able to put on this event. Whether you helped a little or a lot, you are what makes this event possible.
Now the official numbers:
No wrecks - Great!
No tickets - Humm, that's a first.
178 in attendance - a new Fly-By record and regional event record!
21 new members - a new Fly-By record.
$635.00 donated to the Ride For Kids - a new regional event record.
$2,020.00 net event profit returned to the club - a new Fly-By record.
Thanks again to all that attended and all of the volunteers that made this years event a record breaker.
MSTA members are the greatest!
Jon & Janet
Jon Campbell Sr.
Finally, just a member

Offline normkern

• MSTA Member
  • Norm Kern
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »
All great news!

When Jon and Janet put on an event, it always goes well and it's NOT due to chance or good luck. Jon & Janet have a way of making sure things go well. I remember thinking that coming home from the first Fly-By I attended in 2001. Still true!

Thank you and the crew for all you do!

Norm Kern

Online Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 753,402
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere'... could be an FJ-09 we will see
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
Wow! Those are fantastic numbers! I'll echo Norm's comments. It's not due to chance you guys are the best! Plus all the Ohio volunteers who helped you put on the Fly-By!
Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
I agree with all of the comments above!
not all that wander are lost

Offline stk0308

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2018 Kawasaki H2 SX SE
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
Just wanted to add my happy thoughts to the pile.  Had a great time.  Road some excellent roads, and got to talk to some nice people.  Thanks to all those involved putting on a wonderful event.  I keep trying to get more St Louisans to come along.  Maybe next year.
Steven

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous.  It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

* Upcoming Events