Author Topic: 2018 Not Really Ride the Rio Event  (Read 288 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Executive Committee
2018 Not Really Ride the Rio Event
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:35:07 PM »

from Mike Gilliland......

Fans of Ride the Rio:  Arrangements have been made, contract for rooms in Lajitas signed.  For you young whippersnappers, Ride the Rio was a popular HSTA event originally organized by Dave Gorham and Chris Page and their better halves, Tonie and Patty.  Originally based out of the Chisos Basin in Big bend park, it was moved to Lajitas. It was one of, if not, the largest of the HSTA regional events with as many as 130+ attendees.  After a number of years, Dave and Chris were promoted to regular members of the HSTA (old joke from either Don parish or Fred Ziglar) and stopped hosting the event.

A number of long time fans of the RTR organized a non-event in "The middle of nowhere, in the middle of Winter" that was a much pared down version.  No registration, no fee, no organized routes, no group dinner, just a lot of good clean fun with good people in a beautiful part of Texas.  I called the event "Not Really Ride the Rio" as a homage to Dave and Chris' prior event, but also to indicate its less organized status.

NRRTR has been scheduled for March 2-3-4 of 2018 in Lajitas, Texas at the Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa.  Several riders in the past have met Wednesday evening at the YO Hotel in Kerrville and ridden/trailered out to the Big Bend area on Thursday, either straight to lajitas or out to Fort Davis, then on to Lajitas on Friday, and then leaving for home on Sunday.

There are several nice roads out there that make the top ten list of roads to ride in Texas and the scenery is unmatched anywhere else in the state.  Nice restaurants are available including Riata in Alpine, the Food Shark in Marfa, the Starlight Theatre in Terlingua, and the restaurant in the Chisos Basin. Dual Sport riding is also possible in the National Park and in the State Park and we often overlap with a dual sport ride organized by Roger Hazelwood in Terlingua.

I enjoy it so much out there that I will be going out the weekend before for several days in Fort Davis before coming down to the Big Bend area as are some other friends that ride dual sports and bicycles.  If there is enough interest expressed I will see what I can arrange at the YO Ranch on the Wednesday, February 28th, and possibly at the Limpa in Fort Davis on March 1st.

MSTA and non-MSTA riders are welcome to come and ride with us and find out what a cool group of people we are, and what the MSTA is all about.....getting together with good friends and riding great roads.  :)

To make reservations at Lajitas, call 1-877-525-4827 and ask for a room under the Ride the Rio block of rooms. The price is the same as the last 3 years...$175/night for either a deluxe King or 2 Queens room over in the Calvary Post area of the hotel.  They normally go for $289/night.  Not cheap by any means but by far the best hotel in the area.  They will hold the rooms until the end of January when the block will be released.  I hope to see you out there!
not all that wander are lost