collapse

Author Topic: Sport-touring.org  (Read 20858 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 753,402
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere'... could be an FJ-09 we will see
Re: Sport-touring.org
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »
Bummer.
Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Online Patmo

• MSTA Executive Committee
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
I realize that for insurance and liability reasons, we can't just invite the folks from STO to come over to the MP Hotel and join us in the festivities, or share our route info with them, but.....

Why can't we put out some info about the MSTA at the Microtel for them to pick up?  What about some of our "Invitation to Ride" pamphlets, for example?  I'll be staying at that hotel ( reserved there when found out HI was filled, and long before even knew about ST.O ) along with some other MSTA people, and do plan to say hello and pass out cards with this website listed on it.  However, IMO the only way to overcome the "elitist" reputation that the MSTA has in SOME people's mind, is to be even more than welcoming.  We have to aggressively peruse groups like these and make them feel WANTED, not just welcome.  Now I realize that the people organizing and hosting this rally are extremely busy during this time, so I don't really expect them to be able to do a whole lot in this area, but there should be some free time for any of the rest of us to do a little.  I suggest that any that can please just stop over, introduce yourself, and invite people to just come over Saturday evening......after the dinner and festivities.....and hang out.  I suspect that the vast majority of the ST.O people will prefer to hang out at the Microtel with their own group, but even if NONE come over they will at least see that we are certainly not a closed group and that we ARE a friendly group.  I think that it would at the very least generate some interest in the MSTA by a group of riders that would seem to be a natural fit for our club.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 753,402
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere'... could be an FJ-09 we will see
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
Pat I am in complete agreement with you. You need a stack of ITRs.
Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
Yea, it looks like they just realized that we are going to be there too!
Sorry Brick, but they've known they were scheduling on the same weekend as Mail Pouch since before June 4th. 
http://www.sport-touring.org/index.php?topic=1284.0
Fortunately I also learned from their site that there's been fresh shoulder work on OH-255.  New gravel spread around, so right handers might be a bit more treacherous.
As if that road isn't challenging enough. I posted elsewhere lots of construction in Ohio, I was checking this website for any road construction that had closed roads. Found a few up in the Coshocton/Zanesville area that will impact my ride down on Friday.
http://www.buckeyetraffic.org/
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Ohiomsta

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT / 2018 Yamaha Xmax
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
I realize that for insurance and liability reasons, we can't just invite the folks from STO to come over to the MP Hotel and join us in the festivities, or share our route info with them, but.....

Why can't we put out some info about the MSTA at the Microtel for them to pick up?  What about some of our "Invitation to Ride" pamphlets, for example?  I'll be staying at that hotel ( reserved there when found out HI was filled, and long before even knew about ST.O ) along with some other MSTA people, and do plan to say hello and pass out cards with this website listed on it.  However, IMO the only way to overcome the "elitist" reputation that the MSTA has in SOME people's mind, is to be even more than welcoming.  We have to aggressively peruse groups like these and make them feel WANTED, not just welcome.  Now I realize that the people organizing and hosting this rally are extremely busy during this time, so I don't really expect them to be able to do a whole lot in this area, but there should be some free time for any of the rest of us to do a little.  I suggest that any that can please just stop over, introduce yourself, and invite people to just come over Saturday evening......after the dinner and festivities.....and hang out.  I suspect that the vast majority of the ST.O people will prefer to hang out at the Microtel with their own group, but even if NONE come over they will at least see that we are certainly not a closed group and that we ARE a friendly group.  I think that it would at the very least generate some interest in the MSTA by a group of riders that would seem to be a natural fit for our club.

Pat,
No problem with meeting and recruiting them at their hotel. Some of the members should do that.
But they can not be in our gathering places at our event hotel. Not Friday, Saturday or Sunday. MSTA sanctioned events operate and are insured under AMA rules not ours. The event is not over until midnight Sunday. There is a reason the MSTA was AMA Road Riding Organizer of the year---we follow the rules and we aren't going to stop doing that now.
Everyone, please don't bring these guys into the Fly-By gathering areas. I don't want to be the one to insist that they leave immediately. They won't understand and it will only make us look bad.
See you in Marietta,
Jon

Jon Campbell Sr.
Finally, just a member

Online Patmo

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:38 PM »
Ok.....I understand.

Online Patmo

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
First off.....

John, I'd like to publicly apologize for any problems my suggestions or statements may have caused.
I stand here corrected and humbled.  I sincerely mean this.

2nd....I did some reading on the AMA site today, and reviewed their Risk Management course for recreational events.  What I found there was VERY pertinent and interesting....

It seems that the main purpose of being AMA sanctioned and insured is to manage risk and to control possible legal costs in case of a lawsuit.  The insurance is in place mainly to cover LEGAL expenses incurred in case of being sued. The kicker here.......IF ANY OF US invite people to the event, and those people do not sign a waiver, then the AMA will DENY any claim we put in for funding from this insurance.....ANY OF US.

So guys...we absolutely can NOT invite anyone onto the property OR to accompany any of us on any of our rides.  If we did, we would really be opening the CLUB up to possibly catastrophic expenses.

However, we can certainly go over to their event and say hello, and we can certainly pass out, or provide information about the MSTA to them, when we see them out.

Once agian....John I sincerely apologize.

Pat Mogavero

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
While on one of the MP-FB rides (Tour1pt1) today, I met two riders at the Beallsville Diner who were attending the Sport-Touring.org event at the Microtel. Since they seemed to be nice guys and also quite interested in the MSTA, I gave them each an ITR and suggested that they stop by and join up, since the event registration also covers membership for a year. One was from Ontario riding a red '09 VFR and the other was from West Virginia on a V-Strom 650.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 110,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: Sprint
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
Good job Don.

Bealllsville Diner is a nice spot.
Steve Grabowski - Northern OH Asst Director
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Cablebandit

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
As one of the organizers of the STO event I found this thread pretty amusing.   ;D

It just goes to show that lawyers have a way of ruining everything. 

The MSTA members that were at the Microtel were a pleasant group and fun to chat with. 

Offline Cablebandit

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
Oh, was the gentleman that went down on the BMW with your group?  I heard he was taken out in an ambulance but we couldn't find out if he was OK.

Online Patmo

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »

The MSTA members that were at the Microtel were a pleasant group and fun to chat with.

I will say the same thing for the STO people I met there....but I expected that to be the case.   :)

VersysRider

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
As one of the organizers of the STO event I found this thread pretty amusing.   ;D

It just goes to show that lawyers have a way of ruining everything. 

Yeah, seems lawyers can extract the fun from anything. The MSTA holds several just for fun rides/events that anyone can attend, see keep an eye on the calendar...Also, many sanctioned events give new members a free MSTA membership for their first year.

Offline OldButNotDead

• MSTA Member
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
Just to make a point.  STN is NOT a club or organization like MSTA.  It is a group of riders with common interests that use the STN website.  STO isn't "disgruntled" members of STN.  STN has been getting stale for several years and the old core group created STO and many members remain on both just for communications reasons.  They don't have a magazine, they don't have dues, they just like to ride. 

So what does "sanctioning" get us.  Does it protect the club or does it protect the members?   If someone wants to sue STN or STO, who does the lawyer sue?   The website?  If there is so much risk, why do we have "fun" events.  If at a sanctioned event a couple MSTA riders run into brand x riders at Waffle House, can they ride together? 
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

VersysRider

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
Just to make a point.  STN is NOT a club or organization like MSTA.  It is a group of riders with common interests that use the STN website.  STO isn't "disgruntled" members of STN.  STN has been getting stale for several years and the old core group created STO and many members remain on both just for communications reasons.  They don't have a magazine, they don't have dues, they just like to ride. 

So what does "sanctioning" get us.  Does it protect the club or does it protect the members?   If someone wants to sue STN or STO, who does the lawyer sue?   The website?  If there is so much risk, why do we have "fun" events.  If at a sanctioned event a couple MSTA riders run into brand x riders at Waffle House, can they ride together?
Maybe disgruntled wasn't the proper wording, but according to a threan on the STO forum, STO was started by a group who weren't happy with the direction STN was going. Doesn't matter as seems the STO and STN forums have members with the same core riding values as the MSTA. As far as I am concerned, any group that serves to support motorcycle sport touring is fine by me.

Sanctioning protects the club, event organizers and members. There are very specific things that are not allowed at just for fun events, one being the distribution of routes. Also, we cannot charge a fee for a just for fun event nor organize a catered meal. Everyone must be "on their own".

If an accident occurs, the lawyers will most likely go after the event organizers. They will sue, even if the case is weak just to see if it sticks. The event organizer could wind up with some quite costly legal defense fees. AMA sanctioned events have insurance which cover this.

AMA sanctioned event rules strictly prohibit non club members from participating in sanctioned events. To the extent that they will not cover the event if non club members are participating. While nothing keeps you from meeting up with non-members at a sanctioned event, you would be putting the club, and more importantly, the event organizers in a position which they are not financially covered in the event of an accident. Remember, event organizers are volunteers, which could be financially ruined by a lawsuit.

Really, it's unfortunate that things have to be this way. We would rather invite all to participate, MSTA member or not.

* Upcoming Events