Author Topic: 91 down, 4 to go.  (Read 13294 times)

Offline micah2074

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 75,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
91 down, 4 to go.
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
A couple of years ago I started a little tour of sorts. My goal is to ride through every county in Tennessee and do a lap around their court house. It’s taken a few years and a several thousand miles but I only have 4 to go. It’s been fun picking 3 or four towns at a time and planning the worst route possible. I will finish up this year. My next goal will be to ride through every Cleveland (my home town) in the country. I’ve almost completed all the Cleveland’s in the south east.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: 91 down, 4 to go.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
Cool!   I did the same thing with Kentucky state parks and historic sites. Added in covered bridges and national historic sites.  Took a picture of each place.  Learned a lot about the history of the state and road into a lot of the state that’s I otherwise probably have never seen.  Took me more than a few years to get it all done, but it was all fun.  When you consider how far it is going east-west or west-to east in either Kentucky or Tennessee, it’s easy to understand why rides like yours or mine are not undertaken lightly.  Get those four and congratulations on a fine job are in order!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
WOW!  That is quite a feat to ride to each county and around the court house.  Just looking up each court house could be a challenge.

How many Cleveland's are there in the USA?  You can ride through Cleveland, MN in June when you come to STAR in La Crosse.  It is about a 3hour ride from La Crosse.  It is not too far from where I grew up, and we drive through sometimes when we go home.  They have a great place to eat, Kokomo's Bar & Grill.

We now live in Owatonna, and that is the only city in the country named Owatonna.  So I can say I have ridden through every city named Owatonna in the country and around the Court House many times, and have been in it many times.  Never in hand cuffs.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
One of the Iron Butt Association guys, Bob Higdon, finished a quest within the last couple of years that he's been working on for decades. He's taken pictures of every court house in the entire USA!! About the time I'm feeling pretty good about having ridden to 49 states, I find that Bob has ridden to every single county and taken a picture of a specific building there. Dang!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:07:52 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline micah2074

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
Every single court house..... wow! I couldn’t even imagine how many miles he racked up doing that.
The covered bridge is cool. I might have to come back to Kentucky and see some of those.

Offline micah2074

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:23:10 PM »
I forgot to mention I found out about a near by court house to a county that no longer exists.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_County,_Tennessee
I got it on the bike a couple of years ago. So, I’ll end up with 95+1.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 05:56:23 AM »

The covered bridge is cool. I might have to come back to Kentucky and see some of those.

There are 13 of them, and they are all pretty much isolated in the northern part of the state.  Come to the Rally of Historic Proportions in July and you can visit most of them pretty easily from that location.
not all that wander are lost

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
Every single court house..... wow! I couldn’t even imagine how many miles he racked up doing that.
Have a feeling he meant "main county court house" there are a lot more court houses than those in the US, riding to every one would be difficult, by the time you finished there's bound to be a few new ones.
I remember back during one of the MSTA photo contests (think it was done through the forum) to get city names, in order, and people were out finding them so I just started to do a few rides getting the next 4-5 letters so I'd be sure I had one when I got home. As we got further in the alphabet we realied there were very few places starting with X, one in Ohio (Xenia) southwest of Columbus. Apparently even letters like Q and Z have more cities (Ohio has both and I've ridden in them Q-Quaker City Z-Zanesville).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650