Author Topic: STAR...why?  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
STAR...why?
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:52:17 AM »
For those of you that don’t do Facebook, there has been a very lively and enjoyable discussion going on as what is the “purpose” of our annual STAR event.  The discussion morphed out of the original discussion of where to hold a western STAR?  There were several good suggestions made, but the where really depends on the WHY?

Is STAR’s main purpose to bring as many of our members together in one place at one time?
OR
Is it to introduce members to new areas and venues they wouldn’t normally go to?
OR
Something else?

Opinions? Thoughts?  Please discuss.....
not all that wander are lost

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: STAR...why?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »
All of the above. TM

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
Probably 70-80% more to bring members together from different parts of the country.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
I agree, All of the above.

But, that does not help to answer the question/survey.
Having been to only three so far, I go to Ride with like minded riders and to see friends that I have not seen since last year.

We have been members since 2002, but never found time to attend those far away places, until Springdale, AR.  Enjoyed it so much with the new friends we made, now we are willing to travel further.

This past year in La Crosse, I heard those same comments, along with, WOW!  You guys to do have some nice riding roads in the Midwest.

Yes, we are planning to go to Bristol, to experience new roads and renew old friendships.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:51 AM »
I sort of feel that for me, this is a false dichotomy. I think both of those things are equally important to my enjoyment of a STAR.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
I'm with BD but I will say I have blown off STARs if i don't care for the destination. 

Now I'll add a second question and this is a pet peeve of mine.  Why can't these FB discussions at least roll to our website?   FB posts are a fart in a whirlwind as far as I'm concerned.  Have it post here as well and at least you can find it later.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »

Now I'll add a second question and this is a pet peeve of mine.  Why can't these FB discussions at least roll to our website?   FB posts are a fart in a whirlwind as far as I'm concerned.  Have it post here as well and at least you can find it later.

Two words....proprietary software

I have been told that was possible up until a little while ago,  but there is a block on it now and it can’t be done anymore.  I think it has to do with FaceBook security changes after the large data breach they had.
not all that wander are lost

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »

Two words....proprietary software

I have been told that was possible up until a little while ago,  but there is a block on it now and it can’t be done anymore.  I think it has to do with FaceBook security changes after the large data breach they had.
Pat is correct. We used to have a feed from Facebook Groups(s) to the forum. I would switch between the STAR group and the MSTA group depending on the season. After the data breech in 2016 FB changed their policy to allow only individually owned pages - no more groups. There is little control over access to groups and thus no control over content, wheras a page owner is responsible for for content.   I am far from a Facebook expert but I received the explanationion from the author of the app that provided the feed. There may be a way a Facebook guru could work around this limitation but that aint me.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:17 AM »
Okay.  Thanks for the explanation.  Just adds to my dislike of FB. 
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
For me its is more about going to new places, riding new places, seeing new things. I did both STARs in Lexington KY, and I would return to Avon in a heartbeat. But I've really enjoyed the 3 STARs I attended out west (Taus 2010, Avon 2012, Rapid City 2014) as I took a week after the event to ride around places out west that I'd probably never see otherwise. A week in Colorado, then Wyoming, then Montana. This year was similar with LaCrosse, an opportunity to take the ferry across Lake Michigan and then 4 days return ride back thru Michigan's UP.

Most of the various STARs in the east/SE (State College, Charleston, Lexington twice, Asheville, Staunton) were closer to home, and places that I had on most occasions done some riding in. They were still fun, but different. The exception was 2016 Stratton VT, and other things made that even more special.

Wait what was the question?   If it is "should we return to Avon or are people tired of it?", I'd go back.

Seriously though, If the trade-off is a location we've been to before but more accessible vs. somewhere new but further away and attendance will be low (e.g. Mamoth CA) I vote for the larger number.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 01:28:36 AM »
I've always felt that STAR should be a better and more organized extension of the core purpose and function of the MSTA.

It should have as it's primary focus the furtherance of sport touring riding and the exploration of riding activities with like-minded riders.

There are a lot of other groups and ways to go on vacations with great shopping, entertainment complexes, historical tours, etc.

It seems like a waste of a motorcycle sport touring association's funds and organizational effort to be using it to promote and provide activities that don't, at their forefront, further motorcycle riding.

Proximity and ready access to good riding, the creation and support of enjoyable riding routes, access to good riding I wouldn't normally experience, and the companionship of other riders with whom I can enjoy the riding and exchange riding stories and information, these are the things I want to come to STAR for. I'd rather revisit locations with lots of good riding very close than to go someplace "new" just to see the sights, have a nice pool and good shopping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »
Jim,

I can understand your side but if STAR doesn't have some enticements for non-riding, family members, we would have far few people attending.  There are some members who still use STAR or part of STAR as a family vacation which I think is great. 

Tosh 

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
Jim,

I can understand your side but if STAR doesn't have some enticements for non-riding, family members, we would have far few people attending.  There are some members who still use STAR or part of STAR as a family vacation which I think is great. 

Tosh 
Some members also don't spend the whole event riding from dawn to dusk every day, they are looking for some half days or days off and want to see some sight, shopping, etc. That doesn't apply to me usually, I'll ride every day and usually a full day. But others are different.

Its good to have things to do for non riders, or others looking for a break. So long as that isn't a priority over having good roads.

I liked the large number of dining options nearby, but have also been OK with just 1-2 places for the 3-4 evening meals during STAR.

Steve Grabowski

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Got some plans in order for post STAR to ride in the area before going home. Found a place to stay near  the infamous Gap, will be riding it on Thursday (hopefully dry and empty). My roomie has never ridden it or the Cherohala in all his advanced years, so we are bucket listing a little. We even have a garage for the bikes. To relate this to STAR, it serves both a riding opportunity and a social event for us. We look forward to seeing many old and new friends at STAR. It's always great for me!   TM

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Got some plans in order for post STAR to ride in the area before going home. Found a place to stay near  the infamous Gap, will be riding it on Thursday (hopefully dry and empty). My roomie has never ridden it or the Cherohala in all his advanced years, so we are bucket listing a little. We even have a garage for the bikes. To relate this to STAR, it serves both a riding opportunity and a social event for us. We look forward to seeing many old and new friends at STAR. It's always great for me!   TM

Tom I'm curious where you're staying. Is it one of those cool motorcycle specific places with garage and such around Robbinsville?

My brother Richard and I also have plans to do some riding in the Gap area after STAR, probably spend 2 nights in the area and leave for home on Saturday. Not sure where we'll stay was going to look all over maybe even as far away as Sweetwater/Athens area to be close to our retired brother and spend evenings visiting with them.

This will be Richard's first ride in the Gap area, we've seen some of it during a winter visit on 4 wheels.
Steve Grabowski