Author Topic: Lowside and Indecision  (Read 7568 times)

kaosbandit

Lowside and Indecision
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

I have had another buddy take a lowside this year. He's back on his feet like a cat, but maybe I'm bad luck.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/2014/5/13/lowside-and-indecision

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Lowside and Indecision
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Shit happens. I've been on a handful of rides with people crashing, I was leading several of them (well I lead a lot of our group rides so that is no surprise). I try not to read anything into it, have learned to just ride my own ride and try to caution others about road layout and conditions they may not be aware of (this one stretch always has gravel, this section is really has many blind rises, etc).
Glad he was ok, had a ride last year when somebody went down and we had to store the bike somewhere (not rideable) and then ride him to the hospital (broken shoulder).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

kaosbandit

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:42 AM »
Yeah we are normally really good about not pressuring anybody and keeping everybody informed of typical hazards we know of. This year I have had 3 friends lowside. Prior to this year, none. That's crazy huh?

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
It's a shame about friends crashing. But if you go through a curve with no issues and the next guy lowsides, it wasn't you that did it. It was different tires, different riding style, a different line through the curve, and maybe a few dozen other possible issues or combination of issues...over which you had zero control.

One of the guys I've ridden with periodically not only crashed when he rode with me and no one else, he did it three times in a row over the period of a couple of years. Yeah, I was a little hesitant to invite him along for a while, but he's done better the last couple of times out.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.